Fernando Torres

Fernando Torres was last night given the guarantees he demanded as he was told by Chelsea: “You are our main man.”

The £50million striker angered the ­Stamford Bridge hierarchy when he slammed Roberto Di Matteo over his treatment just hours after Chelsea’s Champions League glory in Munich.

But with Chelsea refusing, once again, to state that Di Matteo will remain at the helm next term, the club came out with an emphatic statement of support for the Spaniard.

In a message that appeared to come straight from Roman Abramovich, chief executive Ron Gourlay said: “We’ve got Fernando Torres.

“And Fernando Torres is the man that we will go forward with and Fernando Torres will score us the goals. We have no doubt that Fernando Torres is a world-class centre-forward and Fernando Torres will score goals for Chelsea.”

Torres has scored just 12 goals in 16 months at Chelsea since his move from Liverpool, the latest to lose the internal battle with now-departing Didier Drogba and not trusted by Di Matteo to even take a penalty in Saturday’s dramatic shoot-out triumph over Bayern Munich.

The striker then moaned about having suffered “the worst moments of my career” and demanded to know his future role so he could “evaluate if it is worth it.”

But Gourlay ended any internal doubts the Spaniard was harbouring as he added: “I’m not worried about Fernando at all. We’ve just won the Champions League and Fernando Torres played his part in that.

“It’s not all about goals. It’s not just about the individual scoring goals but also his teamwork. He is a very, very important player. And I think you will see Fernando Torres score many goals for Chelsea.

“On Saturday he was emotional. He was disappointed that he didn’t play, and I think that led to the rest.

“Things are fine. There is no problem. Fernando is a fantastic player and an asset to the football club and we have no problems at all.”

Fernando is a kind of player that needs supplement from midfield unlike Drogba he can not come back and defend but we have real problem in there. After Deco and Ballack departed our midfield got weakend considerably and thats the main reason we loss on possession against the likes of Barca and Bayern. We need recruitment in middle area without any doubt.

- In the two finals -F.A. Cup and Champions League- we have seen a Chelsea with identical schemas but very different attitude. From the team that came daring and to win offensively in Wembley to the ultra-defensive in Barcelona or Munich, What identity do you believe that shows better the spirit of the team?

The team spirit is always to compete. We learned to adapt to the stage and the opponent, appreciate their strengths and weaknesses and our limitations. We were able to apply the best tactics and the best attitude to win every time. No one can say that we did wrong.

- This Chelsea has shown that when it wants, can score any team, as evidenced at Camp Nou and at Allianz Arena. Do you think that potential to score has been sacrificed in favor of a strategy centered on containing defensive?

The strategy of the team has been to win the rounds. The results say that sacrificing our offensive potential to focus on our defense potential has been the right decision after studying and analyzing each opponent. There are moments when we can take the pace of the game while in others we cant.

- When you signed for Chelsea a year and a half ago you pointed that your goal was to win titles at club level. Test passed. What is your next challenge?

Now Im still enjoying. Next year we have already two finals, we will be in the World Cup of Clubs and again we will run for the four trophies that we could have each season. When you win you always want more and more. On a personal level I want my score records back and keep returning the fans all they give me up with goals and titles.

- What have Roberto Di Matteo done so well and what did so bad André Villas-Boas?

There are different moments and different situations, you cannot compare them.

-This first Champions title for Chelsea, does it suppose the final step towards a generational change?

It doesnt have to. I see it as the beginning of a memorable age. We made history but the best is yet to come.

- How is life inside a Champions League final? Is it similar to those that you have lived with the national team at Euro and World Championships?

You cannot compare, they are different. Personally, Munich is the one I suffered more: to watch it from outside, to enter the field with all lost, living the last part the way it was When Drogba scored the final penalty I felt an unbelievable emotion. My childhood dream came true. I could never forget it.

- Why arent you happy at Chelsea?

At Chelsea I am very happy and I never said the opposite. I still have a lot to do in this club, meet personal goals, confidence to return and love to thank. It has been a difficult year, I didnt play much and my mind was like a roller coaster. I felt bad, very bad and I would not like to feel that way again. But I have never surrendered and I never will.

- What treatment did you expect and havent given you?

When Chelsea signed me they did it with great expectations. The confidence of the owners and the fans have been unconditional, but my role on the team has not followed that line. As always, I look at myself and think that I have not known how to be essential for the coaches Ive had. Is another goal to accomplish. And I will, at all costs.

- How is your relationship with Di Matteo?

It is smooth, honest and clear. We dialogue a lot, but I hope to convince him that I can be the player he expects, someone indispensable, not anyone. I will keep working for it and, as always respecting his decisions. He helped me at a critical time and I am very grateful to him. He has proved he knew what he was doing.

- The exit of Drogba is what you need to feel important?

Didier is a club legend and what he has decided is respectable. I can only wish him the best and I feel proud to have shared so much with him. I want to play with the best and he is one of the best. I do not understand why it has to be one or the other and not both.

- You have always received the support of the owners of the club, do you perceive that it remains?

My goal was to talk to them at the end of the season, I needed to know what plans they had for me. Weve talked and now I have no doubt what they expect of Fernando Torres. I just want to start already next season.

- The blue fans have shown an unconditional loyalty to your person, the titles are for them?

All you get in this club is for them. They have given me the strength when I was lacking it, they have excited me when I was sunk, they have shown why I have to be proud of being a Chelsea player. I have nothing but gratitude for them. Heartfelt thanks. My desire is to come back with more celebrations.

- His last statements in the mixed area of Munich, after winning the Champions League, are understood as a search of the best sports project, what does Chelsea need to return to fight for the Premier?

Chelsea will always run for the Premier. I dont know the projects of others, but I am convinced that ours will be exciting.

- Why a Premier League so irregular?

We have not been at a high level at key moments. When we realized about it was too late for almost all competitions and only were the cups left, because the League was already lost. The players we are the unique responsibles.

- Never been so long without scoring, what happened?

It was a mental block, I felt really bad. I felt very well inside the field this season because I have become a more complete player, but the ball did not fall inside and I felt I was never in the correct position. I watched many videos to study the movements of other strikers, including mine from my stage at Atletico and Liverpool. It helped me a lot because I lost the fear of being in the area. At this point, I also want to thank Steve Holland, assistant coach, for the work he did with me to help me.

- Did you lack the confidence of the coaches that never came?

I believe that I deserved to play more. So for the future I hope to earn that trust with work and I will not stop until Ill do it.

- Do you really think on surrendering?

There were times where I lost hope and that never happened to me before. Its the worst feeling in the world when you love your profession. I became the player I hate. Luckily is part of the past. Now all I have in mind to fulfill dreams.

- Are you in one of the crucial moments of your career?

I fulfilled a dream and Id say its a very happy moment but I demand more. The best is yet to come. Now we have to keep dreaming.

- You have lived a contradictory year, you went through bad times but also came the first titles with a club

Football is like that and thats why it is so beautiful. You never know what will happen the next day. This year I learned more than ever. Enough to write a book.

- At Camp Nou did you recover part of the lost self-esteem?

By that time I had it back already. I had no doubts about what I could give and I was just expecting complete confidence, but I didnt know how to gain it.

- What do you search now after winning the Champions League title -your most desired title-?

Now I hope to win the Intercontinental Cup, it would be awesome. I am also excited to win another Champions League, but with the script Id have written. And, already dreaming, a Premier League would be very special.

- You will face Atletico in the European Super Cup. What a dilemma? You, avoiding to grow the history of your soul team.

Emotionally I count the days left for that game. I will win no matter what. I expect to play and not happen as in other ocassions. It will be strange, but pretty at the same time.

- What do you expect personally from this Euro?

Just think on winning it.

- Do you feel that in the national team we dont see the best Torres?

I have been fortunate to earn a place in the history of the national team, but I want much more and I feel like it.

- Do you feel yourself undisputed with Spain?

Of course not.

- Have you ever feared to be out of the list?

Yes. I saw myself out. I never received a call with such enthusiasm.

- Is there still hunger for titles in this group that has won it all?

I have no doubt that we want to continue making history.

- Euro-World Cup-Euro in a row is a dream, Is Spain favorite?

Spain has won the role of been favorite and we have to accept it but this is worthless because you have to prove in the field. Three titles in a row is something no one has done before. If we can achieve to do it we will be a world reference because people will talking about this generation for many years.

- Italy, Germany, England, Holland, France, Portugal Do you see this more difficult than the one on Euro 2008?

It will be very hard, I dont know if more or less hard, but there are very powerful teams. The group is complicated and dangerous and the further crossings even more. We hope that others will worry about Spain and not the other way around.

- At Poland-Ukraine it will be eight years since your first major championship with the top national team in the European Championship at Portugal, with four wins and four disappointments where and why was the turning point done?

Germany World Cup was a key moment. We failed, yes, but we created a style, a belief and a team spirit that is still alive. Then of course the victory in Vienna showed us it was for real and in South Africa was the culmination. Hopefully Kiev will be the first time to win three straight, do better than anyone, be the team to beat for future generations.

- You recovered from an injury against the clock to attend the World Cup at South Africa, what do you feel now receiving the news of the absence of David Villa?

I can only send my support, my love, my esteem and personal admiration. What he has decided is well determined. He deserved more than anyone to be in Poland because he has proved to be essential for this team. We will miss him for sure. And if the absence of Puyol is confirmed, then theyll be two very important absences for us.

-fernando torres official website

good interview to clear things up... looking so much better... sooooo excited for next year... he is our #1 choice... we need to keep it that way... just get wingers... i told you guys all this year that our strikers werent our problems... we have no supply... 0... drogba is just a strange exception... he is known for making something out of NOTHING (legend)...

come on NANDOOOOO!

I saw the Guillerme Balague interview on sky sports and the media, as ever, blew it out of proportion.

It's up to Torres, he either sinks or swims. He knows the support he'll get from us.

I feel though the motivation and effort i've seen from him this year that he's going to have a big season.

Not going to jump into the bandwagon yet despite what he has said in that interview. Will back him for next season but he's still got a long way to get back to his best and he needs to prove it next season!

I remember right after one of the PL games (can't remember which one) that Steve Holland was interviewed by CTV. Steve mentioned that he'd been working with Torres on movement, etc. Very interesting to hear Torres mention Steve publicly and reiterate what Steve said in that interview.

While Torres is boycotting the English media, he should also boycott Guillem.