Fernando Torres

Huh?

Ah yes, some rationale.

I'll tell you what amazes me. I was just looking in the Torres transfer thread, and the last post I seen was somebody saying that whilst Torres may have a bunch of assists, he only pops up for 5 minutes to give the assist and then becomes anonymous. Between that and Las7's 5 clear cut chances theory, I do wonder if people actually pay any attention to the games at all.

I missed the first 30 minutes of today's match. I popped on to the other forum I use and asked what I missed only for some Newcastle supporter to tell me Torres had "fluffed" multiple chances. So as you can imagine I'm thinking the worst. Then I see replays of Torres hitting shots and defenders sliding in within about a foot of him and making brilliant blocks, and naturally I'm left scratching my head at this guys "fluffed" and Las7's "scuffed shots" assessment. Sometimes I think people get the impression that playing football is like playing FIFA. Hold B and point in the general direction of the net for an instagoal.

I'm all for fair criticism, but what bothers me about Torres's critics which includes many of our own fans, is that virtually each and every shot that doesn't end up as a goal is automatically labelled as "poor". Some of the efforts I've seen the guy called out on wouldn't get a second look if it were anybody else. And what makes it all worse, is when people sit and moan about Torres and then talk about Drogba is if he's on fire, when in fact, it's a toss up between who's had the worse season.

Sometimes I think people forget what exactly we have in Torres. If this guy gets back to his best then we're laughing. And I think the objective supporters among us can see that right now, he's a better option than Drogba.

There's no excuse, Torres should of scored the first chance i don't care what you say.

There's no excuse, Torres should of scored the first chance i don't care what you say.

He only had two defenders on him and a keeper in his path... No pressure then. And the point here really is had that chance of been any other striker in the league, you wouldn't have people blowing it up as if it was easy, it would of been par for the course and never spoke of again.

And even if I were to concede that the first chance was easy, it doesn't change the fact that the rest of the chances were not, and people getting on his back as if he missed four sitters is ridiculous. Particularly when he finished the game with a goal and 2 assists.

He only had two defenders on him and a keeper in his path... No pressure then. And the point here really is had that chance of been any other striker in the league, you wouldn't have people blowing it up as if it was easy, it would of been par for the course and never spoke of again.

And even if I were to concede that the first chance was easy, it doesn't change the fact that the rest of the chances were not, and people getting on his back as if he missed four sitters is ridiculous. Particularly when he finished the game with a goal and 2 assists.

No, no, no stop being like Liverpool, theres no excuse at all, for a player who has scored the goals he has had, and the goal records he has had, he must score that. He was one on one, on an angle but still a great chance, and the keeper didn't make a great save, he just kicked it at the keeper, very poor from torres.

No, no, no stop being like Liverpool, theres no excuse at all, for a player who has scored the goals he has had, and the goal records he has had, he must score that. He was one on one, on an angle but still a great chance, and the keeper didn't make a great save, he just kicked it at the keeper, very poor from torres.

Sloth, no disrespect, but this is now getting boring. We all know that FT has been shyt, and has only scored lucky goals, and wasted a thousand chances. Even my daughter knows it. But why should I be reading the same thing in every thread on this forum. I know you are free to express yourself, but seriously...... lets just wait and see what he can do for the club.

Rebound for Sturridge. Yes, it's technically an 'assist'.

Technically yes, but seriously.. he knew nothing about it lol. It's desperate to use it as a measure for his efficiency. I think only calculated assists should be used as an argument to a player's overall performance.

Technically yes, but seriously.. he knew nothing about it lol. It's desperate to use it as a measure for his efficiency. I think only calculated assists should be used as an argument to a player's overall performance.

But the other side of that coin is that he was in the right place at the right time and was nailed on for a goal only for some great defending to deny him. His work lead to the goal.

In other words, had he not of been in that position to strike it in the first place, it probably rolled across the face of goal and nothing would of came of it.

But the other side of that coin is that he was in the right place at the right time and was nailed on for a goal only for some great defending to deny him. His work lead to the goal.

In other words, had he not of been in that position to strike it in the first place, it probably rolled across the face of goal and nothing would of came of it.

True, at least he wasn't camping on the wing.