Fernando Torres

I think he'll play in the starting lineup on Saturday. I have a feeling that AVB is trying to give him a little bit more and more responsibility as we come closer to the Africa Nations Cup and during that he has to be in form, because Didi will leave England for a few weeks.

He should get the game against Wigan along with Lampard IMO. Not because of the pen, but since Meireles played two key games in a row.

But Torres doesn't play well with Lampard. In recent games he hasn't been given the opportunity to play with Mata or Meireles who suit his style of play, so I don't think he forms part of AVB's future plans and therefore has no future here. I like him as a player (when on form) and he seems to be a decent person off the pitch but clearly AVB regards him as a jink and the team seem less fragile without him.

The drama surrounding his departure from Liverpool and the media witchhunt, which began just before the world cup when he returned from a serious knee injury, has been unrelenting and doesn't look like ending anytime soon. I don't think you can underestimate the effect of this on a player's confidence. Neither Drogba, Mata or Sturridge have this kind of burden to carry and can just play their natural game. It's also interesting that since his transfer Liverpool seem to have replaced Everton as Chelsea's bogey team. Perhaps it's time for him to move back to Spain and try to recover something of what he was, while CFC retrench in January.

So...

AglDaG5CAAAJBrz.jpg

:whistling:

in

Bloody media ... they must be thrilled at the success of their campaign against this luckless player. Ashton claims that the arrival of Juan Mata has failed to spark Torres but the reality is that he has played well when Mata has been in the team and shown signs of a return to form (apart from the Arsenal game), but he clearly doesn't figure in the manager's future plans.

There is no right answer here IMO.

On one hand, we have to recover something, and while 20m would be a big loss of our investment, it's better than nothing and 180k per week down the drain.

On the other, we have one of the best strikers in the world who hasn't been himself over a year... Lack of confidence, injuries, or does the expression "form is temporary, class is permanent" lack sense? Has he lost it? Do we risk losing him on a free/low fee in a few years?

I honestly dont know. The biggest mistake was signing him in the first place. Right now Aguero should have been playing at SB.

So...

AglDaG5CAAAJBrz.jpg

:whistling:

20 mill?

Yes please.

On the serious note a player of his calibre had to adapt and start playing well by now.It is not like he is new to the English game,he played in Liverpool.He is a expirienced and proven striker so what's the deal? If he keeps in the same form until the summer sell him.Give the wages to someone who actually can make a change.He had his chance anyhow.

20 mill?

Yes please.

On the serious note a player of his calibre had to adapt and start playing well by now.It is not like he is new to the English game,he played in Liverpool.He is a expirienced and proven striker so what's the deal? If he keeps in the same form until the summer sell him.Give the wages to someone who actually can make a change.He had his chance anyhow.

At the rate he's going, his value will likely plummet to 10m come summer, we can't really wait that long if we are planning to get rid and get something decent in return.

My favorite part of Torres failure (not that it's a good thing) is how many people say "he can't play with x player, he can only play with y player". He cost 50m, he should be able to play with Turnbull and Hilario as outfield players if he has to. He is comletely bereft of confidence, he just cannot do anything correctly, even simple dribbles, and yet lampard and malouda take all the blame for some reason. His form is down to him alone and his inability to perform at a good level

At the rate he's going, his value will likely plummet to 10m come summer, we can't really wait that long if we are planning to get rid and get something decent in return.

My favorite part of Torres failure (not that it's a good thing) is how many people say "he can't play with x player, he can only play with y player". He cost 50m, he should be able to play with Turnbull and Hilario as outfield players if he has to. He is comletely bereft of confidence, he just cannot do anything correctly, even simple dribbles, and yet lampard and malouda take all the blame for some reason. His form is down to him alone and his inability to perform at a good level

I like you

I think we should bite the hand off whoever is offering 20 million, I like Torres, I really do but it hasn't happened for him at Chelsea. He is back to the level he was at when he first arrived, he seems to have lost pace (his main asset) and his confidence is non-existent, at the moment he is a passenger in our squad and we can't afford passengers (particularly not ones that cost 50 million) so yes, if an offer of 20 million came in, Id love for our club to take it, invest it in a talented young striker and lets all move on.