Fernando Torres

it would be a big loss as well .. be lucky to get 20mill ..unless the russians want him

Haha true. Imo they will only pay more than 20m if all they care about is his popularity, and not his current form.

Hmmm Torres in Russia with all his female fans... :lol:

Its all down to confidence. The guy literally has none left. Its done to the way he was played at Chelsea. So many games he got subbed at 60 minute mark or came on for the last 20 minutes. Started against Liverpool, big mistake. Just as he starts performing a bit better, AVB doesnt start him. Good decision as we won the game but I dont know if Torres will ever recover. I hope im wrong.

Fernando Torres speaking to Spanish magazine Don Balon on April 16 2009:

" I have already played in La Liga and the Premier League, Now it would be nice to try Serie A, perhaps in a club like Milan or Inter. It would be nice to be able to say one day that I managed to play in the three most important leagues, and perhaps I will also try the Bundesliga."

He is not Iron Man, at Loserpool the fans used to cheer him and like a lot of players he is "confidence-driven". He had also Gerrard to play with just behind him

I'm not disputing that, but last season he was still playing for Liverpool, and played the same as he is now. Sure, he scored some goals, but he still wasn't the Torres of 2008-09.

I just thought that when Torres was in his prime, he had a Spanish coach and strong Spanish representative in the team (Benitez and some other players in Liverpool. After Benitez left his form gradually started dropping). I can't help but wonder if this can play a role... for example Bosingwa has played well under Portuguese managers, but sucked under others.

I just thought that when Torres was in his prime, he had a Spanish coach and strong Spanish representative in the team (Benitez and some other players in Liverpool. After Benitez left his form gradually started dropping). I can't help but wonder if this can play a role... for example Bosingwa has played well under Portuguese managers, but sucked under others.

actually his form started to drop, before Benitez left..

Fernando Torres

Used to be a great football player. At one point of time the best striker in the world, or at least one of the best. However career depends not only on talent, but also decisions that players make. And his decisions:

-in the summer of 2007 he went to Liverpool which has a history of running their strikers into the ground (Fowler, Owen and now Torres). They often didn't give him time to recover from injuries but still he signed a contract extension in 2009, only to watch the departure of some of the best teammates afterwards. Then Liverpool's decline began, also Torres's. Players were sold , replacements were poor. Then came 2010, big injury and World cup. He wanted to leave. So he left.

- IN the winter of 2011 he went to Chelsea which has a history of buying high priced strikers who flop (Sheva, Mutu, Kezman, etc). In the club that was already going trough a transition, that needed an overhual not in CF department, that doesn't play high tempo football he needs, where manager didn't want him, where some of his teammates, who played alongside him for the first six months, didn't want him. He never got a proper chance here, with proper players around him. No one can deny that. AVB didn't help him. Now it's too late for him. Damage's already been done.

- If he only chose Man Utd in the summer of 2007... His career would probably have been different. Perhaps he would be better, less limited player. But...

Too many bad decisions rarely have ​​a good outcome.

He deserved better , but he should have thought better. I've known that since January, but it still makes me sad. Why I had to watch his downfall in my favourite club. That bothers me the most.

For those that wanted Torres from 2008/2009. That Torres had:

- teammates who wanted to play with him, who didn't ignore him

- good passers behind him

- high tempo football and midfield that suited him ( or to most strikers)

- manager who wanted him and believed in him

- 8 scoring chances per game and the knowledge if he misses one, others will come

- players who were at their prime while playing with him

Of course after 2009 everything fell apart, but anyway, what from things above Torres had here?

You make Serbia proud baby :D

actually his form started to drop, before Benitez left..

18 league goals in 22 games (20 starts), 22 in 32 overall in his last season for Benetiz. I wish we had that kind of dropped form at Chelsea. Because of injuries, he wasn't consistently the best striker in the world, but he had his moments. He would get injured, recover and come back, get injured, recover and come back, etc. He never should have rushed back from his surgery in January 2010. He suffered the same injury 3 months later and it's ruined everything ever since.

Benetiz and Torres actually had a pretty cagey relationship and Torres has said they never had a conversation that wasn't about football. And Benetiz would criticize him in the papers when Torres would get distracted by running feuds with refs and players. To Torres' credit, he accepted the criticism--in public anyway. Sid Lowe reported that by the end, Torres was pretty ambivalent about Benetiz staying at Liverpool. But the overwhelming dynamic in the relationship was that Torres was Benetiz' number one striker no matter what. Torres also had the same dynamic at Atletico. Benetiz rotated but Torres knew he was #1 and he would be picked for the most important games. Obviously as Torres got more injured, he really wasn't rotated as he would just play whenever he was semi-healthy or had a pulse really.

And it's not just about starting the games, there were plenty of games when Torres would be left in to play even if he hadn't done much because Benetiz believed Torres had a better chance of stealing a goal than any of his other strikers. Remember the game where he got two very late goals against Chelsea? A 0-0 game was 2-0 within minutes.

the sad thing about Torres not being the Torres we need is that he knows he not living up to what we expect of him and hes trying to hard to get that goal and its making him play poorly... I think if he can just relax and let the game come to him he will gain back his confidence and start to put away the chances he does get..

Fernando Torres

Used to be a great football player. At one point of time the best striker in the world, or at least one of the best. However career depends not only on talent, but also decisions that players make. And his decisions:

-in the summer of 2007 he went to Liverpool which has a history of running their strikers into the ground (Fowler, Owen and now Torres). They often didn't give him time to recover from injuries but still he signed a contract extension in 2009, only to watch the departure of some of the best teammates afterwards. Then Liverpool's decline began, also Torres's. Players were sold , replacements were poor. Then came 2010, big injury and World cup. He wanted to leave. So he left.

- IN the winter of 2011 he went to Chelsea which has a history of buying high priced strikers who flop (Sheva, Mutu, Kezman, etc). In the club that was already going trough a transition, that needed an overhual not in CF department, that doesn't play high tempo football he needs, where manager didn't want him, where some of his teammates, who played alongside him for the first six months, didn't want him. He never got a proper chance here, with proper players around him. No one can deny that. AVB didn't help him. Now it's too late for him. Damage's already been done.

- If he only chose Man Utd in the summer of 2007... His career would probably have been different. Perhaps he would be better, less limited player. But...

Too many bad decisions rarely have ​​a good outcome.

He deserved better , but he should have thought better. I've known that since January, but it still makes me sad. Why I had to watch his downfall in my favourite club. That bothers me the most.

For those that wanted Torres from 2008/2009. That Torres had:

- teammates who wanted to play with him, who didn't ignore him

- good passers behind him

- high tempo football and midfield that suited him ( or to most strikers)

- 8 scoring chances per game and the knowledge if he misses one, others will come

- players who were at their prime while playing with him

Of course after 2009 everything fell apart, but anyway, what from things above Torres had here?

Nice post. I think AVB has realised that and this is why he had bought Mata to fasten things up a little.