UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

On the subject of facing tough teams, just saw the all group permutations and realized that if City finish second in their group behind Bayern (unless they beat them by 3-0 or a 2-goal margin of 4-2 or more) and all the other English clubs win their group, there are then only 4 possible opponents for City in Last 16 - Real Madrid, PSG, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

On the other hand, it's a similar case with us. If we finish second in the group and Arsenal and United win their group, then our Last 16 opponent will either be Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Barcelona or Atletico Madrid. That is not what we want, certainly not in the last 16 just yet!

The only consolation is that the last 16 is after the winter transfer window. Maybe we can sort out our pivot by then and maybe our attack as well.

And we do step up for the big- matches, don't we?? Any teams other than Bayern or RM are manageable. :ph34r:

The Round of16 looks terrifying tbh. 10-11 good teams in there

No chance - Bayern, Barca, Real,

Tricky - ManC, ManU, Arsenal, Juventus, Dortmund, Atletico, PSG, Zenit,

Manageable - Schalke, Milan, Leverkusen, Benfica

Can this team grind out results? that's the question. The players will almost definitely bottle it this year I think

How can you say we have no chance against Barca! they hate playing against us! we know how to beat them and will be even more dangerous on the counter then we have ever been against them! when was the last they actually beat us?

and also we would certainly have a chance against Bayern also as we showed in the super cup!

but anyway we will win the group and get Galatasaray in the last 16 and welcome Didier back to the bridge!

How can you say we have no chance against Barca! they hate playing against us! we know how to beat them and will be even more dangerous on the counter then we have ever been against them! when was the last they actually beat us?

and also we would certainly have a chance against Bayern also as we showed in the super cup!

but anyway we will win the group and get Galatasaray in the last 16 and welcome Didier back to the bridge!

I am not too sure this team can hang with Barca, Real, Bayern. This team while certainly better in attack, will leak goals imo. Kalou, Malouda, Meireles etc weren't the most skilful of players but they were very effective in shutting out the opposition.

We did do well against Bayern in the Super Cup but it was just one game. We will have to wait and see if the team can replicate that performance if it does face a big European side again this season

And yeah, Didier deserves the reception at the Bridge. Would love for that to happen

I get what you're saying about Barcelona but now, they are not so obsessed with keeping the ball, playing the tiki-taka football, pressing the opposition back etc like they were under Guardiola. They are much more adaptable and streetwise in their approach under Gerardo Martino, capable of playing differently depending on opposition.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see why some people here are afraid of Barcelona or even RM.

Barcelona is a very good team but not what they used to be, Iniesta isn't even a sure starter now and is pretty shit this season. Xavi has some troubles with growing up, their defense is absolute terrible, they leak 5/6 big goalscoring opportunity every game. I don't see them not condeding 2/3 goals against the like of Hazard, Willian, Schurrle running at them on counter (and we have Jose :ph34r: ).

RM is a bit like us, very good at attacking (they have some trouble with the team parking the bus though), shit in defense, they too concede a lot of goalscoring opportunity (against Rayo Vellacano, Levante, Sevilla, Atletico,...)

I'm more afraid against the like of Dortmund or Atletico because we will be the team who has the possession.

The Round of16 looks terrifying tbh. 10-11 good teams in there

No chance - Bayern, Barca, Real,

Tricky - ManC, ManU, Arsenal, Juventus, Dortmund, Atletico, PSG, Zenit,

Manageable - Schalke, Milan, Leverkusen, Benfica

Can this team grind out results? that's the question. The players will almost definitely bottle it this year I think

We cant face English teams nor Schalke...

should wait for matchday 6 to get over for a clearer picture on who we might face in the round of 16.

as of now it could be - 1. Shakhtar or Leverkusen 2. Benfica or Olympiakos 3. Milan or Ajax 4. Zenit or Porto 5. Dortmund or Napoli 6. Juve or Gala

If Real Madrid sign a good striker in January then they will be really tough to be beat and perhaps may just win it this year.

Uhhm... Benzema is obviously a good enough striker. He's killing it this season. 12 goals and 8 assists in 21 appearances. Nearly a goal/assist every game.

Uhhm... Benzema is obviously a good enough striker. He's killing it this season. 12 goals and 8 assists in 21 appearances. Nearly a goal/assist every game.

a little competition for the striker role would be quite beneficial for the team and also eliminate fears of injury situations.An additional striker would in my belief make the team stronger than it already is.

a little competition for the striker role would be quite beneficial for the team and also eliminate fears of injury situations.An additional striker would in my belief make the team stronger than it already is.

Ah, misread what you meant. Yeah, I agree with you.