UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Well, its easy to understand.

English people think their league is their best, just like their national team...

O, wait.

No English football supporter thinks our national team is the best. It is such a big joke in the country. I'll give you the fact that the media hype the team up around international tournaments, but no one seriously believes we are anywhere near the best; in fact, quite the opposite.

Hi. I'm French and I don't know why you talking about the level of Ligue 1. I'm agree with you, our league is not good, essentially because French people discovered the football in 1998 (when France has won the world cup) while in England, Spain, Italy and Germany dream about football since forever, it is same a "religion" in Italy or Spain.

All the players of Paris SG are focused on the CL. Some people in this thread said, "i don't watch the games of PSG often", so why you speak about the team ? Have you ever seen Verratti, Matuidi, Motta, Maxwell (underrated here) play ? It is like if a guy speaks about a book that he has not read! Have you already seen the Zlatan Ibrahimovic of 2013-2014, because he's not like in the past, he plays with his teamates, he's really glad to be in this team. The form of his life.. PSG is the place to be in Europe. Most beautiful city in the world, ambitious project (PSG is already richer that City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc). If Chelsea eliminates PSG it will be a huge fail for direction of PSG, they want win the CL quickly! Ligue 1 is not an objective, for PSG it is just logical to win this league. Paris want to be the king of football in Europe, like the city is in Europe.

Ligue 1 is "sitting on the fence". Too weak compared to Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga and Liga, and too strong for Liga Sagres and Eredivisie. Though if Ajax, Porto and Benfica are good teams their league is weak, attendance poor, poor revenue..

For comparaison Paris has 400 (soon 500M€) budget

Monaco 180 (> 200 soon)

Lyon 150

Marseille 150

Ajax and Porto 80-100.

PSG 2011 is the SAME project of Chelsea 2003 or City 2008, it is not a makhachkala project. Qatar is here for a long long time.

And for the money of Paris SG, Paris does the strategy of Premier League clubs, that is to say make call to money of strangers to be competitive. PSG like United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and many premier league team doesn't care about nationality of players.
For the matches, for me it's 50-50. The advantage of Chelsea is to received at stamford bridge the second game, and Mourinho.

PSG vs Chelsea. Great game to watch I reckon. On paper they seem formidable but we'll have to wait and see. They seem to fit our ideal opposition criteria - emphasis on the big names in attack, leaving them vulnerable at back. Glad to have dodged the Spanish clubs and Bayern.

The only place to be > There's a whole forum that observes and mocks you.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-20-27333940-1-0-1-0-un-anglais-clash-le-psg.htm

Why are you so embittered against the Ligue 1 and PSG ? Paris-SG is a real team and a proper club. And the Ligue 1 is maybe not the best championship, but stop to think that it is the worst.

Meh, there's a whole forum full of people here who 'observes and mocks me'. They also get to watch a top team play in a top league.

Anyway, I have no problem with Ligue 1. I have no problem with the Russian league, the Swiss league or the Dutch league either - I just don't think they're of high a quality as other leagues.

I think players who go to these leagues aren't looking to test themselves against the best opposition week in and week out. That's not an unfair view is it? If this is the case then why are these players going to these clubs then? I'm not ignorant of Chelsea's own financial backing but we also play in one of the best leagues in the world. That is a massive draw for players and fans of football alike.

Well, its easy to understand.

English people think their league is their best, just like their national team...

O, wait.

We don't think our national team is the best. In fact most of us don't even like the national team 11 months of the year.

Welcome to the forums! I completely agree with you, PSG can be compared to the Chelsea's or ManCity's story. There were no easy teams to be drawn at this stage of the competition but personally the only team I'd have had over PSG was ManU. It's nothing to do with Ligue 1 level, like you said, it's one of the best leagues in the world (TOP5). It's just that PSG is a not so well oiled machine yet albeit having great names in their ranks, although the future does look bright. The tie can go either way, football is round afterall.

Hi. I'm French and I don't know why you talking about the level of Ligue 1. I'm agree with you, our league is not good, essentially because French people discovered the football in 1998 (when France has won the world cup) while in England, Spain, Italy and Germany dream about football since forever, it is same a "religion" in Italy or Spain.

All the players of Paris SG are focused on the CL. Some people in this thread said, "i don't watch the games of PSG often", so why you speak about the team ? Have you ever seen Verratti, Matuidi, Motta, Maxwell (underrated here) play ? It is like if a guy speaks about a book that he has not read! Have you already seen the Zlatan Ibrahimovic of 2013-2014, because he's not like in the past, he plays with his teamates, he's really glad to be in this team. The form of his life.. PSG is the place to be in Europe. Most beautiful city in the world, ambitious project (PSG is already richer that City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc). If Chelsea eliminates PSG it will be a huge fail for direction of PSG, they want win the CL quickly! Ligue 1 is not an objective, for PSG it is just logical to win this league. Paris want to be the king of football in Europe, like the city is in Europe.

Ligue 1 is "sitting on the fence". Too weak compared to Premier League, Serie A, Bundesliga and Liga, and too strong for Liga Sagres and Eredivisie. Though if Ajax, Porto and Benfica are good teams their league is weak, attendance poor, poor revenue..

For comparaison Paris has 400 (soon 500M€) budget

Monaco 180 (> 200 soon)

Lyon 150

Marseille 150

Ajax and Porto 80-100.

PSG 2011 is the SAME project of Chelsea 2003 or City 2008, it is not a makhachkala project. Qatar is here for a long long time.

And for the money of Paris SG, Paris does the strategy of Premier League clubs, that is to say make call to money of strangers to be competitive. PSG like United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and many premier league team doesn't care about nationality of players.

For the matches, for me it's 50-50. The advantage of Chelsea is to received at stamford bridge the second game, and Mourinho.

Agree with everything (nearly) but saying Paris is the most beautiful city in the world?

Having travelled around a lot - I have to disagree ;)

Forums are always a surprise.

You click on a thread about something and bam, nothing you ever expected reading comes across you.

Some pages of this thread were hilarious.

As for my take of this. I'm one of those who may underrate PSG, but I've said way before we drew them that they're overrated imo. So I think we have the slight edge here. They have some players better than we do (Silva, Cavani and Zlatan) and we have a way better defense and Hazard. If we have Luiz in the pivot, we also have a better midfield than them. Oscar is better than Lucas ALL NIGHT LONG, but current form, I'm not sure if he is - one more reason for him to get his shit together soon.

RM is going to eat that Dortmund team for dessert given how many players Klopp doesn't have for the first leg. Bayern will eat United like the man who's saved money for months to go to a brothel: front, back, up and down.

First - time poster. I find it funny that some users are questioning the quality and competitiveness of Ligue 1 without realizing the league has had six different champions in the last six years. Also, I'd think Chelsea supporters would be extremely supportive of Ligue 1 considering a lot of your core players during your "come-up" came from Ligue 1 and I'm pretty sure they were quality seeing as one is still your number 1 goalkeeper and you just welcomed another back with open arms a few days ago. Everyone knows Ligue 1 isn't comparable to the Premier League or La Liga, but let's not completely dismiss it.

Saying all that. It's going to certainly be a great tie.

Sirigu - Jallet, Marquinhos, Thiago Silva (cap), Maxwell - Verratti, Thiago Motta, Matuidi - Cavani, Ibrahimovic, Lavezzi.

Line-up for their game against Lorient in 1 hour.If there are no injury, it will be this team that will play against us (Van der Wiel or Jallet).

Hi,
I'm a PSG fan. I have no idea whether PSG will qualify or not; however, I have come to the conclusion that Chelsea would qualify 55% of the time versus PSG.
I am terrified of Mourinho; his home record is very impressive. He is the guy who managed to stay unbeaten for 151 league games at home between 2002 and 2011. It ain't no luck; I really believe that he is a genius, and I wish he had signed for PSG last year.
One knows how important a coach is in football; I won't talk about Moyes lol.
I can't wait to see how chelsea can prevent PSG from creating chances. It is true that PSG is not used to playing againt good teams. Yes, PSG never loses but they have not been tested very often. Beating Benfica by 3 goals to nil is the best result of the season. So, I still have a hard time evaluating PSG because of the fact that they don't play in Spain or England, and that they never try to score more goals. Maybe we are very strong, but I do not want to get carried away. We will be stronger next year, and the year after. Obviously, It all depends on foreing money because the Ligue 1 will never be in the top 2 leagues. It's just impossible; taxes are too high and Football is all about being rich.
I expect PSG to get hold of the ball. Well, the good news is that PSG is used to playing against teams parking the bus.
This is what Chelsea should do anyway (kind of). PSG will start with Sirigu, Van der weil, Silva, Alex, Maxwell, Motta, Matuidi, Verrati,
Lavezzi (unfortunately), Ibra, Cavani.
I am happy that we did not get drawn against Bayern, Real, Barca. Anyway, I have a bad feeling about our chances. I suck at Sports betting though: consequently, I should probably bet on PSG.
I look forward to watching the tie. I still remember seeing Terry miss the winning penalty in 2008. Ouch! It must have been a nightmare. So sick!

You are welcome here