Guus Hiddink to retire at the end of the season

Milan

Guus Hiddink has revealed he plans to retire from management at the end of the season.

skysports.com

"It was not my intention to stay very long when I joined this club. I'm basically going to stop at the end of the season," he said.

"At 66 years old I think I've nearly had enough. I don't know what I'll do. Maybe I'll be an advisor or supervisor to young players or coaches.

"I want to teach people how to handle certain issues in football or how they can plot their career path. That sounds interesting. I will not disappear into a black hole.

"I get up every day with so much energy, but you have to be careful not to get into a routine.

"You have to be careful that people will think, 'here he is again'. So Anzhi is basically the last team which I will coach."

Definitely a legend of the world football and I am really privileged to say Guus Hiddink was also a Chelsea manager. Just a pity it didn't last longer, really. His aura and simply everything were incredible.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top man. Would like to have seen him stayed last time, as you said there. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing take some sort of role at the club when he retires from management though IIRC, have read stories that he may well return to Holland and join one of the clubs there.

I remember all those speculations dealing with his possible stay etc. He proved to be a man by sticking to his word, though. His only regret was not playing against Man United as he said himself. Pity Ovrebo denied him and us.

I can't really imagine what Benitez would need to do to earn this.

What a legend! Really would have loved to see him become permanent manager when he was here. He saved our season & could have gone on to achieve so much more.

Best of luck for whatever he decides to do when he retires. He's earnt it thats for sure.

article-1354687-05275624000005DC-514_634x424.jpg

cHiddink_Chelsea_henryhuynhdotucozdotcom.jpg

Thank you Guus!

I'd like him back to SB more than anything.

Probably the best manager we have ever had.

The best manager? Are you serious?

No doubt he revived our season then, enjoyed some great moments and won the FA Cup but to say he's our best manager we have ever had seems rather farfetched.