Physical & Mental health

Leif

This is simply a thread for all the (if any) people on here who workout, are losing weight, are into nutrition, or developing/dealing with their mental health etc.
This thread can be used for general discussion. Post your personal info regarding health here (like I'm about to do), or post songs you listen to while working out, motivational workout-related quotes, backgrounds, goals, advice etc.

Me:-
Height: 5'4"
Current Weight: 179lbs
BMI: 27.5
Objective: Lose fat while retaining muscle
Programmes: Insanity & P90X + Custom weight-lifting routines
Supplements: Sci-MX Whey Protein Powder; Sci-MX pre-shake; Fish oil; Multivitamin; The occasional protein bar
Goals: Priority - Get down to around 130-140lbs so I'm no longer classed as 'overweight'. Gain around 15-20lbs of muscle. Reduce BF% to 14% or lower.
Daily calorie intake: Around 1400-2200 (Zig-zag calories so that I don't plateau.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favourite Workout Songs:-
(I like cheesy songs mainly with some hip-hop; occasional rock)
Anything from the Rocky movies
David Eisley - "Sweet Victory"
Mt. Eden - "Still Alive"
Killswitch Engage - "This Fire Burns"
Flipsyde - "Champion"
Ya Boy - "We Ready"
Krizz Kaliko - "Unstable"
AWOLNATION - "Sail"
Young Jeezy - "F.A.M.E."
Shinedown - "Diamond Eyes"
The Roots - "The Fire"
Kanye West - "Stronger"
LL Cool J - "Rocking With The G.O.A.T."
M.O.P. - "Ante Up"
Maino - "Kill You"
Ace Hood - "Overtime"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favourite Workout Quote:-
"That guy’s a freak. Yeah, I hear them. That’s me they’re talking about.
They can’t understand why I’m here every morning at 5. They can’t understand because they don’t have it in them.
I live for this. All I think about is the next pak, meal, workout, set, rep… I’m here for a reason.
I’m here to do something I couldn’t do last week, and next week I’ll do something I couldn’t do this week.
It may be 10 more pounds, 5 more pounds, 1 more set, or maybe even just 1 more rep, but it’s something
I couldn’t do before. I love it. It’s about knowing your limits and then blowing them away.
My success is achieved by reaching failure. When I can’t do one more rep, that’s when I’ve succeeded.
I know that I’ve really done it when I hit the showers and I stand there under the water unable to
lift my arms up to scrub the sweat out of my hair. I stand there and think, ‘It’s going to be a good day.’
I crave it like some primal instinct telling me to go do it. People think I’m crazy because they can’t understand.
That’s what the Animal brotherhood is about though. It’s us against them. They look at us and call us ‘freaks,’
but we look at each other and understand. It’s not about some kind of superficial glory or getting ass,
it’s about finding what’s inside of you and bringing it out. That’s Animal."

Favourite Workout Motivation Video:-

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm interesting thread. I do a bit of working out, trying to build a bit of muscle as well as keeping fit for playing football locally. Haven't really set myself as much of a goal as yourself Leif but you seem very dedicated to trying to lose that weight so good luck to you mate :)

With the song thing, I really just listen to whatever garbage is on in the gym.

Also use protein supplement, USN muscle fuel mass or some shit like that. Trying to eat a bit healthier even though I don't really need to lose weight, I think I weight just about 12 stone which is just about 76 kilos I think which is decent because I'm 6 ft 2 basically.

I suppose I'll have to put this stats thing in tbh.

Meeeeee -

Height: 6 ft 1.5 / 2

Starting Weight: 161 lbs

Current Weight: 168 lbs

BMI: 21.57

Objective: Gain muscle, building core and upper body strength and better cardio respiratory endurance

Programmes: Custom weight training.

Supplements: USN muscle fuel mass.

Goals: Gain maybe 5-10 lbs more of muscle. Also improve cardio respiratory endurance quite significantly for football.

Daily calorie intake: Unsure tbh.

I won't lie that I read your post but I assume your whole point was that you gain physical and mental health and lose weight by taking massive 2 pound dumps while eating toasts and listening to "the final countdown"?

Nice idea for a thread. I've been constantly at odds with my weight for years, due to inactivity more than anything. In 2007 I weighed around 101 kg's (224 lbs). Over time I dropped to 95 kg's (209 lbs) so in the summer of 2009 after doing final exams and finishing secondary school I decided it was time to sort myself out. I Started doing Thai Boxing and a lot of walking while adjusting my diet and eliminating junk food. I dropped to 72 kg's (158 lbs) in about 6 months. Since then I've gotten lazy and put some back on but nowhere near the weight I was when I started. In the last couple of weeks I've started back on some sort of regime and have dropped about 5 kg's :)

My Current Regime:

Height: 5'9"

Starting Weight: 82.6 kg's (182 lbs)

Current Weight: 77.1 kg's (169 lbs)

BMI: 25

Objective: Trim down and tone while building core strength

Programmes: Walking, Jogging, Thai Boxing, playing Football and Calisthenics

Supplements: I don't really use supplements but certain foods like green tea, brown rice and fruit

Goals: Get back into training, develop my core strength and just live long and strong

Daily calorie intake: Not really sure, I try to eat healthy i.e fruits, green tea, chicken, brown rice and fish

I used to do a lot of weight training before life got in the way so it's something I am familiar with. It can be addictive and fun if you have the personality and drive but It's also really difficult on the body long-term and you have to be really really careful. if you want to lose weight, it's math. Burn more calories than you take in. The best way to do that is to find a sports league (football, basketball, etc...) that plays once or twice a week and gives you a great workout. (regular sex is great...also a good workout) You can burn a lot of calories and have fun doing it. You can't really lose weight and gain muscle at the same time (you can initially, but not long-term.) To build muscle, you have to increase your calorie intake. When I was lifting, I used to have to eat so much, it was ridiculous. I'd lose some body fat first if I were you because that's your main goal and because you're young, it shouldn't be that hard if you stick to it. When you try to accomplish too much, too quickly, it's easy to get discouraged. OreillyD36 has the right idea.

Decent thread. i tried doing something like this a while back but had nowhere near the amount of organisation as you did due to my lack of botherdnessness.

Me:-

Height: 5'7"

Current Weight: 63kg (~10 stone/140lb)

BMI: 21

Objective: Maintain/gradually increase muscle mass whilst improving Cardiovacular related fitness.

Programmes: My own not very productive programme (will give details below of a typical week)

Supplements: None

Daily calorie intake: Hit around 3000ish a day give or take a couple of hundred. some days i may hit very low, rarely go over 3000

My typical week of training:

Monday: Leg work out - use typical resistance machines for quads and hamstrings. do lunges with weight in hands and then some squat jumps with weights in hand (plyometrics) and Core.

Tuesday: Chest, shoulders, Triceps and core. simple 45minutes session 2 chest exercises, 2 shoulder exercises one tricep exercise. normally 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Wednesday: Interval Training (gym bike) 2 sets of 6 reps of 30seconds (try to hit a HR of 180bpm by the end of the 30seconds) with a 30 second rest. finish with some fatigue resistance training (3 all out 30 seconds, 3minute rest between)

Thursday: 40minute Football match with about 1 n half hours casual kick around (I consider hte 40minutes a high intensity workout, and the kick around some fat burn).

Friday: Upper Back, Biceps, Core (big core workout this session). do 3 back resistence machines, some shrugs, and biceps. 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps again for each.

Saturday: This is usually similar to the wednesday session. I alter the intensity depending on how up for it im feeling, but tend to take it a bit easier this session.

Sunday: 5-aside with the lads. consider it high intensity cardio workout.

Thats what i try to do or plan to do. sometimes i add in extra little workouts. every 2 or 3 weeks i try to add in a purely eccentric exercise (especially if i feel i havent exercised something fully) which is the main type of exercise for strength building, unfortunately it tends to come with a few days of muscle soreness.... I should also point out, i gradually worked my way up to exercising everyday. a couple of years ago i just started exerciseing 3 times a week, then 4, then 5 etc. everytime i added a day, it took about 2 or 3 weeks for me ot naturally adjust my diet and rest etc to be able to feel energetic. id become very sluggish if i got it wrong.

Tend to lower the intensity nad have a few rest days for 1 week after about 6/7 weeks of this routine. If you want any information on the specific exercise i do please do ask.

To the music thing, i usually listen to what i like, obviously when im in the Gym i listen to some high tempo, hard hitting tunes. Normally a fair bit of metal, some heavy beated POP music. and most Recently, K-POP.... im hooked on that shit! its got some really strong beats in!

Motivation: i dunno where mine comes from. at the moment im on a week off and ive done very little, but its usually friends. i go to the gym with friends, its quite a social thing for me so i guess thats my motivation. sometimes its when i am unhappy about something i go hard. for example, i was doing a period of intense weight trianing to gain some muscle, of course i naturally started to crave a lot of meats and cheese (thats what happens to me) and cheese was cheaper... inievitably along with the muscle came a nice layer of fat on my tummy. so that gave me the motivation to do a lot of fat burn stuff.

In terms of Supplements i dont take any. i try and have a well constructed diet. Luckily for me ive been studying exercise and health science for the last 5 years. soon to graduate from the University of Exeter in it as well, so i read a lot of research, not only to do with exercise and exercise types, but also nutritional research. I DID take a protein supplement when my resistence trianing was high... until i read the research and was lectured on the topic:

There is nothing wrong with taking the supplements and no risk (some studies say you can mess up your liver and kidneys, but thats a very small amount of studies claiming that, id ignore that), the problem with them is that there is no need for them. Unless you train 8 hours a day 5 days a week (typical elite athlete) you can get everything you need through a well balanced diet. the supplements will just be added calories if anything.

Of course, if you dont have the time or money to be able to eat a well balanced diet, and if its easier for you to take supplements, then go for it. like i said, they do no harm, they just tend to waste money and can sometimes be extra calories you dont need. My only word of advice would be, if you are taking them, be sure you are using top quality products, brands you ahve not heard of or are 'cheap'/from a website oyu have not heard of are usually full of crap. and by crap, i mean they dont have what the claim to have in them. these companies do slowly get closed down, but there is A LOT of them.

On another note, it might be worth noting the psychological effect of protein supplements. its like a kind of placebo effect. by taking it you are thinking and wanting to gain muscle, therefore when you go to the gym, you really do give it everything. and that is a postive effect.

(to the guy that started this) from what it sounds like, you will achieve your goals. you seem very motivated nad in to it, and thats the main factor to these things. and its normally the hardest part. If you keep doing what you are doing you will be laughing. Plus you are still 17 and therefore still growing, thats always a great help when it comes to losing weight. and its also a great help for keeping it off.

As i said, ive studied this for a long time now, and if you have any questions please do ask and i will do my best to answer them and advise you such as which workouts do what, or what you should do to achieve certain things. just ask :)

Wow, nicely done Leif!

Mate, I thought you were joking when posting weight stuff in the pub. Sorry...

I strongly admire your discipline, I personally wouldnt be able to follow such a planned training. You have already achieved some interesting stats, keep it up.
One advice though, dont make use of any more suplements you are currently taking. Never start with creatine and vasodilation, it will look great but will kill you from inside (coach advise). The songs you like just rock, amazing, pretty much the same taste as I do!

I am currently in College: Football and Tennis Teams, not really good in any of them, but I still make the team though. The only trainings I do are the ones my coaches ask me to. I havent really got any more time than that.

My Current Stats:
Height: 175cm (5'8")
Current Weight: 73.0 kg (162 lbs)
BMI: 23.2
Objective: Maintain the weight, but try to gain more muscles.
Programmes: Football and Tennis.
Supplements: I dont use supplements.
Goals: Enter a workout routine just like yours so I can have a nice, healthy and strong body.
Daily calorie intake: Not really sure, I try to eat healthy food (fish, vegetables, etc). I just dont live without my weekly barbecue, though.

The reason for me using protein powders is pretty much because my diet is rather shit.

I've used online 'health calculators' tonight to roughly determine how much of each food group etc. I'm supposed to be getting on a daily basis, and each says I should be getting around 80-100g of protein per day.

Up until tonight, I've been on around 40-50g of protein per day - and that includes my 35g protein shake.

So me, being a complete twat, freaked out and had an extra protein shake and a half just minutes before starting this thread to take my protein for the day to around 90g.

I would rather do things natural though.

I'll probably just try and get allot more fish (mainly Tuna and Salmon), eggs etc. into my diet and start trying out nuts.

At the moment I'm just having whatever I like aslong as it's within my calorie allowance. It's time to not be disciplined just in training, but nutrition also.

It'll probably be easiest if I start writing my meals down a day or 2 in advance.

My Current Regime:

Height: 174cm (5'8")

Starting Weight: 72kg

Current Weight: 67kg

BMI: 24

Objective: I want to look like a scrawny bastard. Like professional swimmers. Cardiovascular health is my main objective, heart disease has killed in my family before...

Programme: I don't exercise at all, because it is way too hot and dangerous to do so in summer. Plus there is no gym.

Supplements: Vitamin D. I have a Vitamin D deficiency, and my doctors recommend that I take two or three capsules a day.

Goals: Enflated self esteem.

Also I drink too much. I drink a lot.

How much weight would I loose if I stopped drinking?

I will sadly say that you will not lose any weight (personal experience). You will not gain any though...

I know what you mean when saying "I drink a lot". I had 10 welcome parties in 14 days when I entered college. All of them were open bar!

Now I only drink once a week (barbecue)...

This is my go-to song to get me angry/furious and pumped up before a workout so I feel like I can just destroy anything and anyone who gets in my way:

It makes my blood boil and veins pop out of my skin!

The reason for me using protein powders is pretty much because my diet is rather shit.

I've used online 'health calculators' tonight to roughly determine how much of each food group etc. I'm supposed to be getting on a daily basis, and each says I should be getting around 80-100g of protein per day.

Up until tonight, I've been on around 40-50g of protein per day - and that includes my 35g protein shake.

So me, being a complete twat, freaked out and had an extra protein shake and a half just minutes before starting this thread to take my protein for the day to around 90g.

I would rather do things natural though.

I'll probably just try and get allot more fish (mainly Tuna and Salmon), eggs etc. into my diet and start trying out nuts.

At the moment I'm just having whatever I like aslong as it's within my calorie allowance. It's time to not be disciplined just in training, but nutrition also.

It'll probably be easiest if I start writing my meals down a day or 2 in advance.

To be perfectly honest, when it comes to weight loss, a calorie is a calorie, but you can obviously gain a lot of vitamins and minerals if you get some of these calories from healthier foods. my advcie would to just not put too much pressure on your diet. as long as you consume less calories than you spend (which it seems as if you are) you will lose weight. just try and swap some foods for healthier options. Everybody is different, some people will find writing down what they eat and planning a diet too much for them and causing them to lapse and fail. some people find that the best way and they succeed. try out a few things: Write a food diary for a while, count calories, or just simply swap out some foods for a healthier option. See how it goes then decide whats right.

In terms of your protein intake, dont panic! I believe (i may be a bit wrong, its been a few months since my last nutrition module!) 0.8g/kg/bm is hte reccomended intake. and this isnt only a reccomended intake for a normal person, but even for fairly active people. Your body mass is 160lbs, which is about 72kgs? meaning your reccomended intake for protein would be about 57grams. The problem with that calculation it assumes you are mostly built of muscle and have very little fat. if you tend to carry a bit of fat, then this 57grams is an over estimate. however i would go with the 57grams. if you are consuming double that, thats wasted calories, your body can't utilise it, you go in to a state of positive nitrgoen balance and your body has to waste time removing the nitrogen, converting it to fat to be stored then expelling the nitrogen (this expulsion of nitrgoen was what the studies suggested was fucking shit up in your body, its bullshit though).

Simply, weight loss is easy.... but the hard part is the discipline and psychological determination. however, as it seems, you have nailed it! just keep what your doing and it will drop. if you want to drop it faster then try some of the things talked about.

Also, in reply to the song that gets you pumped. i feel i should share my secret song. As bent, fucked up, stupid and gay it is, the beat in this song is the greatest thing i have at the moment and have been listneing to it for the last few weeks when lifting weights. its the fucking BALLS.

I told you k-pop was decent ;)

My Current Regime:

Height: 174cm (5'8")

Starting Weight: 72kg

Current Weight: 67kg

BMI: 24

Objective: I want to look like a scrawny bastard. Like professional swimmers. Cardiovascular health is my main objective, heart disease has killed in my family before...

Programme: I don't exercise at all, because it is way too hot and dangerous to do so in summer. Plus there is no gym.

Supplements: Vitamin D. I have a Vitamin D deficiency, and my doctors recommend that I take two or three capsules a day.

Goals: Enflated self esteem.

Also I drink too much. I drink a lot.

You may beat me at growing a beard, but I've got a significant height difference on you buddy ;)