Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm against the idea of a goalkeeper being captain.

buffon-euro300.jpg

SetWidth638-Ikerman-iker-casillas-313978

These guys do alright, as well as old greats like Zoff, Yashin, Shilton and Kahn. Probably among the best captains in the world. GKs are usually the loudest on the pitch after all and can see the whole game play out in front of them. For me CB is the best position for a captiain but after that CDM and GK.

So many votes for Fàbregas...... Really? Ivanovic for me. Experienced, passionate and has been at the club for more than 4 months.

Yup. People might be being put off by his age (especially considering JT hasn't showed any signs of slowing down yet) though. Would be very short term.

And Fabregas is a born leader, the only one other than JT that we have tbh, that's why he has a lot of votes. And Jt looks like playing beyond this year so Fab would've been here for 2 years by then.

So many votes for Fàbregas...... Really? Ivanovic for me. Experienced, passionate and has been at the club for more than 4 months.

With the tendency to combust sometimes...somewhat dodgy.

Has Ivanovic been given the armband at any point of his time here?

Ivanović played all of Chelsea's pre-season games and captained the side against the Seattle Sounders leading the side to 4–2 victory.

Taken from Wikipedia. Ivanovic also captain's his country so he wouldn't be a bad choice if not for his age. The assertion that we don't have many players with Captain potential in them seems unkind to our players tbh. Admittedly we don't have as rich a selection as we have in the past when we had the likes of Cech, Lampard, Ballack, Terry, and Ivanovic all playing in the same team, but we still have a number of leaders in the squad.

Taken from Wikipedia. Ivanovic also captain's his country so he wouldn't be a bad choice if not for his age. The assertion that we don't have many players with Captain potential in them seems unkind to our players tbh. Admittedly we don't have as rich a selection as we have in the past when we had the likes of Cech, Lampard, Ballack, Terry, and Ivanovic all playing in the same team, but we still have a number of leaders in the squad.

He's also taken on the armband a few times in games when subs were made to my memory (if my memory serves me correctly).

I agree he's a little bit combustible though, we don't want our captain getting sent off and missing 3 games. Getting the captaincy may calm him down a bit though, you never know.

And you can't read too much into captaining your country. The most experienced (best) players usually get it no matter how good leaders they are (case in point, bosnia's captain = Dzeko, who would be bottom of the list for good captains).

I love how people think Terry s retirement is imminent, the way he's playing he could easily have another 3 years, he's nearly 34 and is still playing to an extremely high level.

Ivanovic is 30 himself, by the time Terry retires he could have lost his place in the team due to decline himself, he won't be the next long term captain, im almost sure it will be Matic unless a HG player with massive leadership qualities creeps out of the woodwork.

I can't understand how Cahill gets brandes about, him as captain will be a disaster.

I can't understand how Cahill gets brandes about, him as captain will be a disaster.

And why is that? Many people (and not only Chelsea fans) wanted him to be the captain of the English national team, why do you think he can't be our captain? IMO he has the leadership qualities, of course he is no JT but still... He is English, he is already a veteran compared to the other players in our squad and most importantly - he is a great example of a true professional who built himself up from the bottom and ended up in the very top.

Anyway, there is no way it will be Matic, he is not a leader, not by his nature and not by his game. A massive player but I haven't seen any leadership qualities from him by now, I'd even rate Fabregas higher than him for this role.

And why is that? Many people (and not only Chelsea fans) wanted him to be the captain of the English national team, why do you think he can't be our captain? IMO he has the leadership qualities, of course he is no JT but still... He is English, he is already a veteran compared to the other players in our squad and most importantly - he is a great example of a true professional who built himself up from the bottom and ended up in the very top.

Anyway, there is no way it will be Matic, he is not a leader, not by his nature and not by his game. A massive player but I haven't seen any leadership qualities from him by now, I'd even rate Fabregas higher than him for this role.

the fact he is English is NOT enough reason to make him Captain . Fabregas displayed leadership when he was with Arsenal

but seems that counts for nothing with you

Because the leader of a team needs to be top drawer no matter what the circumstance

Cahill is far to dependent on his CB partner to be a captain, Cahill next to Terry fine,replace Terry with someone like Luiz who won't help Cahill through the game as much. Could Cahill keep performing to a high standard next to a Bolourouz or a Ben Haim like JT did?

Furthermore like I said I still think JT has 3 years left at least, so Cahill will be approaching his twilight years himself when the captaincy finally becomes up for grabs. Personally ill be amazed if he is still first Xl in a couple of years, if the Pique rumours turn out to be true I think Cahill will be the one hitting the bench not JT.

the fact he is English is NOT enough reason to make him Captain . Fabregas displayed leadership when he was with Arsenal

but seems that counts for nothing with you

I didn't say to name him captain JUST because he's English, read the rest of my post.

Fabregas also left his beloved Arsenal for Barcelona just like that and betrayed them by signing for us a couple of years later, but seems that counts for nothing with you.

Because the leader of a team needs to be top drawer no matter what the circumstance

Cahill is far to dependent on his CB partner to be a captain, Cahill next to Terry fine,replace Terry with someone like Luiz who won't help Cahill through the game as much. Could Cahill keep performing to a high standard next to a Bolourouz or a Ben Haim like JT did?

Furthermore like I said I still think JT has 3 years left at least, so Cahill will be approaching his twilight years himself when the captaincy finally becomes up for grabs. Personally ill be amazed if he is still first Xl in a couple of years, if the Pique rumours turn out to be true I think Cahill will be the one hitting the bench not JT.

I don't know why you think that he is not top drawer because I don't see many better CBs than him in the PL right now (I would also say in the world but I don't want to start this discussion again), I think everybody can agree about the first sentence... I also think you underestimate Cahill and IMO he contributes to his partnership with Terry just as much and even more than JT himself. Just like on Saturday - The Cahill "own goal" was 90 percent Terry's fault, but I didn't see many people blaiming him as they did with Cahill. Terry makes mistakes and many times he gets away with them just because he is Terry, and that's OK, but the thing is that Chelsea supporters sometimes have troubles with acknowledging the quality that thay have in their team. Just go ahead and ask what the other PL fans think of Cahill or check out what is being said about his performances in the press. I respect your opinion and maybe you are wishing for another JT or Carvalho in their prime, but Gary Cahill is almost the best it gets right now in world football and that's a fact. And don't try to sell me the Luiz stories because JT also looked like shit when partnered with this attacking midfielder piece of CB.

You are maybe right about the future but right now I don't see a better option than him. Maybe it will change but there is no way of knowing, and you are focusing too much about what could be and on too many "if"s.

im almost sure it will be Matic unless a HG player with massive leadership qualities creeps out of the woodwork.

Not so sure about that..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQ3agyStNQ

His english needs a lot of work, and judging by his general demeanour he seems a little awkward atm.

I didn't say to name him captain JUST because he's English, read the rest of my post.

Fabregas also left his beloved Arsenal for Barcelona just like that and betrayed them by signing for us a couple of years later, but seems that counts for nothing with you.

I don't know why you think that he is not top drawer because I don't see many better CBs than him in the PL right now (I would also say in the world but I don't want to start this discussion again), I think everybody can agree about the first sentence... I also think you underestimate Cahill and IMO he contributes to his partnership with Terry just as much and even more than JT himself. Just like on Saturday - The Cahill "own goal" was 90 percent Terry's fault, but I didn't see many people blaiming him as they did with Cahill. Terry makes mistakes and many times he gets away with them just because he is Terry, and that's OK, but the thing is that Chelsea supporters sometimes have troubles with acknowledging the quality that thay have in their team. Just go ahead and ask what the other PL fans think of Cahill or check out what is being said about his performances in the press. I respect your opinion and maybe you are wishing for another JT or Carvalho in their prime, but Gary Cahill is almost the best it gets right now in world football and that's a fact. And don't try to sell me the Luiz stories because JT also looked like shit when partnered with this attacking midfielder piece of CB.

You are maybe right about the future but right now I don't see a better option than him. Maybe it will change but there is no way of knowing, and you are focusing too much about what could be and on too many "if"s.

BETRAYAL wtf are you talking about... Arsenal didnt take up their option