Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

Cesc, experienced, calm team player, can do nearly everything, captain at Arsenal. Cahill is too weak mentally for me, okay he tries his best and loves chelsea but a leader? Seems to weak, also can't see him critizising players when he makes so many mistakes himself.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think soon we'll have to include Costa as a candidate as well. He IS a great leader, and he runs his socks off. He kind of reminds of Drogba, of course not in playing styles but in terms of mentality. If he could speak English I would say why not.

I think JT might surprise a few with just how long he has got left.

He is 34 soon as is showing no serious signs of decline. Most player's are serious shadows of former selves at this age yet Terry is still playing to a high standard.

Sometimes there are exceptions to the usual rule and I honestly believe JT might just be one of the exceptions like Zanetti, Giggs and Maldini, all maintained a serious high level until 38, I wouldn't be atall surprised if JT does the same and if he does that rules Cahill and Ivanovic out of contention as there be well into their 30s by then unless they join the elite group of duracel bunny's aswell.

I think JT might surprise a few with just how long he has got left.

He is 34 soon as is showing no serious signs of decline. Most player's are serious shadows of former selves at this age yet Terry is still playing to a high standard.

Sometimes there are exceptions to the usual rule and I honestly believe JT might just be one of the exceptions like Zanetti, Giggs and Maldini, all maintained a serious high level until 38, I wouldn't be atall surprised if JT does the same and if he does that rules Cahill and Ivanovic out of contention as there be well into their 30s by then unless they join the elite group of duracel bunny's aswell.

I hope he doesn't stay until he is damn 38! He is still a great player but he is being covered massively by our deep back line and our defensive fullbacks. I bet if we had a younger, faster player next to Cahill the fullbacks would push more, which helps our attacking play.

Would love to see Hazard step up and take the armband one day.

Not going to happen. Just wont. Hazard is always the joker and thats because he loves football.

He will probably be our key man like Robben, Ribery, Ronaldo for their clubs, but he wont have that leadership. He will guide our attack, not team. Anyway I prefer CM or CB to be captain because they are more central, know allround game, organisation and are also physicaly and mentaly strong to get the shit done.

---

When comes to whole team, I think they still lack some intelligence, balls and consistancy. In previous 2006 team you could name Cech, terry, Makelele, Ballack, Essien, Drogba to say at least who would be very suitable captains. If anyone of those still played here (in prime) would be captain ahead of anyone in current team.

They had truly allround set of skills, while current players each lacks that one bit, either intelligence, authority, leadership, agressivness, calmness etc...

Think one of Matic, Fab, Cahill or Azpi will become captain though.

Thinking about the slightly longer term, before leaving Gourlay said he had a development player in mind who he thought was already demonstrating the qualities to follow in JT's footsteps by graduating to the first team and eventually to the captaincy. Ron said he wasn't going to name the player but I wonder if anyone has any ideas about who RG might have meant? I've got my own thought, and it's probably not the obvious player, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

Thinking about the slightly longer term, before leaving Gourlay said he had a development player in mind who he thought was already demonstrating the qualities to follow in JT's footsteps by graduating to the first team and eventually to the captaincy. Ron said he wasn't going to name the player but I wonder if anyone has any ideas about who RG might have meant? I've got my own thought, and it's probably not the obvious player, but I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

Ake!