Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Azpi or Iva for me. I like Azpi's hard working attitude too. Brana on the other hand seems to have such a huge physical presence and experience. I think both are connected to the manager's way of thinking too which is really important.

Plus seriously Cesar leading Roman's troops? I'd like that.

Has JT announced his retirement?!

No, but Cech (vice captain 1) will probably leave in the summer and Drogba (vice captain 2) is probably going to retire and become a coach. That means we'll need a new vice captain, who will then take the mantle from JT full-time in the next 18-24 months. Cesc is that man, according to José.

Why not Gaz?

When Cahill isn't playing alongside Terry he looks lost as proved many times when he was paired with Luiz. He needs to be leaded he isn't a leader.

Apart from Terry its difficult to pick out a real leader amougnst the bunch - You have Ivanovic, but he's getting on. Maybe 1 season as captain for him. The next choice for me would be Matic.

Ivanovic all day long for me. Ticks every single box for a captain.

Except that he'll be 31 already by the end of the season. I agree he would be the perfect choice if he was 4/5 years younger, but he won't be going much longer and then we'd be in the situation again.

I honestly reckon you should go with the person who shows the most leadership qualities, be preferably youngish, a guaranteed starter, thinks most like the manager to relay his tactics and is a loud passionate man.

That all points to Cesc for me. I think Matic or Courtois would be great choices too. I wouldn't be upset with Cahill or Ivan getting the captaincy but then in 2/3 years we'll be in this same situation again without Cesc as a viable option (if he's still here, I hope so) as he'll then be too old. You're relying on a strong captain emerging from the youth ranks (most likely candidates being Zouma, Chalobah and Kalas) and i'd rather have a semi-long term option in place (one of the first 3 I mentioned).

No, but Cech (vice captain 1) will probably leave in the summer and Drogba (vice captain 2) is probably going to retire and become a coach. That means we'll need a new vice captain, who will then take the mantle from JT full-time in the next 18-24 months. Cesc is that man, according to José.

But we have NEVER appointed vice captains. When JT comes off the pitch, he simply gives the armband to longest serving player on the pitch. That's whoever is on from Iva, Cahill and Mikel. There's also Rami as well but his English is still not great.

Btw, that is NOT what Jose said. The express were interpreting his comments the way that best sells papers. He said he understands why Cesc was captain at Arsenal. In that same interview they were referring to, he even said that here at Chelsea we have a culture of only giving the armband to players who have been here for years and years. So I doubt Cesc would be considered before 2-3 seasons.

Has JT announced his retirement?!

Does it mean we cannot discuss it? I had no idea...

But we have NEVER appointed vice captains. When JT comes off the pitch, he simply gives the armband to longest serving player on the pitch. That's whoever is on from Iva, Cahill and Mikel. There's also Rami as well but his English is still not great.

Btw, that is NOT what Jose said. The express were interpreting his comments the way that best sells papers. He said he understands why Cesc was captain at Arsenal. In that same interview they were referring to, he even said that here at Chelsea we have a culture of only giving the armband to players who have been here for years and years. So I doubt Cesc would be considered before 2-3 seasons.

Mourinho clearly hinted that Cesc could be the man, as he mentioned the connection between him and Cesc during the matches.

Does it mean we cannot discuss it? I had no idea...

No of course not, but I was referring to some people saying that Cahill/Iva should get the armband "for the next couple of seasons" as if it has already been decided that JT won't be here next season.

Mourinho clearly hinted that Cesc could be the man, as he mentioned the connection between him and Cesc during the matches.

I think he was just asked about it and answered. Just like much of Jose's comments, you can probably read into them whichever way you want (which of course the media loves to do).