Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

Its a hard one, as we have had one natural leader for so long when he goes it will feel like there is a big gap in our defence.

Cech is not a bad shout for captain though it depends for me... If we assume JT captain for 2 more years, then cech will be 32. If he does a brad friedel then definately he is a great option though tbh i am not overly keen on GK captains as they can't sort out issues down the pitch... (I.E. Terry is always talking to the ref, pulling players away at Free kicks etc, Cant exactly do that if he is in goal, but the VC could do)... I think that having an english captain is not essential, but i personally like the captain being from the same country as the club. Bertrand is not a bad shout as it is likely he will be in the team for a long time after cole, but he doesn't look to me like a natural leader though tbf no one does, except JT. I think a better answer to this question can be formed by when we need a new captain. As much as some people don't think JT should start any more, i honestly cannot see him not being a starter in the next 2 years injury permitting as he is such a great defender, with pace being his only real negative... If in 2 years time Nathanial is looking really good at 19 years of age and somehow breaks into the first team then it would be great to give him the captaincy as he could be there for the next 13 years... I don't see the point in govng the captaincy to someone if they probably won't be there in 2 years time. GC will be 28 and would hopefully have at least 4 years...

I'll do a short list and my view on some of them for being the next captain

Cech: Pros- Been a feature of our team for a long team... Probably the most vocal (with the exception of JT), is definately seen as being a leader... Con - Courtois is up and coming and in a few years could be challenging cech for that no.1 spot.

A.cole: Will be 33, probably not ideal to make captain when Bertrand will probably be on the way in.

R. Bertrand: Pros- Long term role in our team in all likelyhood, he is english and comes across as an extremely nice guy... Con- Not sure if he has that never say die (John Terry) like attitude.

G. Cahill: Pros- Seen as the favourite of many on here, John terry's understudy, had a captaincy role at Bolton, and seems to be as close a like for like replacement for JT. Cons- He is not JT.

Ivanovic: Pros- Very versatile in the team, and is respected by many, and is great in the air: Cons- Seemed to be struggling recently and may not be a first team regualr in the near future depending on the success of GC, Cesar, and David Luiz.

David Luiz: Pros- Extremely likeable guy and is only 25 right now, Cons- Doesn't seem like a leader on the pitch, maybe doesn't have a captains mentality.

Nathaniel Chalobah- Pros- 17, english and could be in our first team for an extremely long time, looks like a future leader on the pitch. Cons- Probably too young atm and as much as we all hope he will break through there is no guarentee he will.

Mikel: Pros - Strong, fairly young, and has an important place in our first team atm. Cons- Doesn't seem to be overly vocal on the pitch, and isn't someone you can say with as much certainity as some others will be there in the next few years.

Josh MC. Pros: English, could be a feature of our midfield for the best part of a decade.... Cons- Hasn't broken through to the first team yet and is very young.

Mata: Pros- Well respected and is one of our best players, quite vocal (can be seen from towards the end of the olympics)... Cons- Doesn't look like a leader, and isn't as vocal as a certain JT.

Torres: Pros- No i just can't see it.

Obviously i have missed out a load of different players who could be considered but its an extremely hard decision... The biggest problem for me is JT, is perfect, puts it all on the line for our team, is big strong vocal, and a natural born leader... One thing is for certain i doubt we will have a better captain for a long long time.

JT: Future Manager manager extraordinaire :blue scalf:

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it will be curtois. Why? i dont see luiz(too much fun), Cahill(just done see "it" yet), bertrand(appears wayy too shy and quiet) and im not one for wingers or STs being Cpts. You could say its by virtue of default, but all GK's have to be assertive. They have to shout and order the line so i dont see any problems with him being our future Cpt.

Vice captain will then ultimately be Cahill.

It's hard to think of replacing Terry as Captain. I think Luiz would be a good option, he has that never die attitude that Terry has and seems willing to go all out for his team. He has captained before so he has some experience in a leadership role, at the moment he's a bit flaky in terms of reliability as a defender but hopefully has a couple of years to iron his issues out to be seen as eligible for captaincy. As for speaking english he seems to be coming along really well.

Mata looks to be a choice for vice-captain. He's calm, focused and always come out ready to his job.

Cech although a very good option for captain as well is also aging by the time we are ready for a new captain which should be a couple more years hopefully Cech might just be looking to finish off his career as well. So age might be a factor in selecting him as captain as well as the fact it's kind of difficult to captain from the goal line.

Other hopeful - Mikel

mata. he is goin to stay with us for 10-12 years and he is the only one that i can see wearing the blue for that long and staying a success. cahill is not as good a defender as terry and dont see him being anywhere as influential as jt or what i expect mata would be.

In two years time I would give it to Hazard.The boy is like Zola and if we give him captaincy he will stay forever !

Two years time?, captaincy for the sake of keeping him?, I can't begin to tell you how ridiculous that is..

Fabregas & Van Persie were Arsenal captains, Hazard type 'flair players' don't make good captains either. He will never be a leader, unless we hit rock bottom as a football club.

I think Bertrand shold be the first choice because he is a home grown player and this is very importent, like this the fans will Identify with him!

and cole need to go out soon!

second choice yes gary and third if he will play in the 11 Oriol Romeu could be great imo!

Two years time?, captaincy for the sake of keeping him?, I can't begin to tell you how ridiculous that is..

Fabregas & Van Persie were Arsenal captains, Hazard type 'flair players' don't make good captains either. He will never be a leader, unless we hit rock bottom as a football club.

Why are you comparing him to some feeder's club captains ?Hazard is a tough character fact and is bloody good player fact.In two years time what I said would make more and more sense.Most of the proposal's in this thread are utterly ridiculous names like Bertrand, Cahill, Mikel and not to mention Josh are thrown around, neither of them is even good enough (except Cahill) to be on first 11 anyway, not to mention to be captain, utter joke.

Del Piero had a lot of flair and I believe he was a great captain for Juventus. But in general I do agree with you.

Why are you comparing him to some feeder's club captains ?Hazard is a tough character fact and is bloody good player fact.In two years time what I said would make more and more sense.Most of the proposal's in this thread are utterly ridiculous names like Bertrand, Cahill, Mikel and not to mention Josh are thrown around, neither of them is even good enough (except Cahill) to be on first 11 anyway, not to mention to be captain, utter joke.

You don't need to be a good player to be a great captain, in any sport. Case in point, Misbah-ul-Haq.

As cap said, being a great player doesn't mean you're suited for the captain's role. Prime example should be C. Ronaldo for Portugal. Tho he's rated as a top 2 player in this world he's a bad captain. Leadership, a "never say die" attitude, motivational skills and a stand up mentality are way more important indicators.

Cahill was Bolton's captain, Mikel's the skipper of Nigeria and Bertrand was the captain of several English youth teams. What's wrong about naming these three guys?!

I see Cahill being a candidate due to his experience in captaining in the Premier League. I don't really see any of the non-english regulars being strong candidates for the role, IMHO.

I agree. You need strong English skills to be a top captain. Doesn't mean you have to be a native English speaker, but you have to be fluent. English will be the the general language of the squad as well as the communication method with the referee.

I agree. You need strong English skills to be a top captain. Doesn't mean you have to be a native English speaker, but you have to be fluent. English will be the the general language of the squad as well as the communication method with the referee.

I think if Luiz sharpens up his English he'd be a good candidate too.

There is absolutely no way Cech should be captain! The man cannot even organise his own box let alone the whole team in times of need! Personally i would get rid of him and get the cat back :fainthv9:. Our defense is shambolic at best so far this season and Cech has to bear part of the blame for that along with the ridiculously undermanned double pivot!

Josh will never be a Chelsea first team player, unless a complete attitude change is coming, so he can be discounted.

Mata is not a leader. He may be respected but does not lead by example.

Mikel will be gone soon as we will sign or promote someone who is a better all rounder in midfield as well as a Viera type player.

For me JT should be dropped and Cahill should be given a shout. He is much quicker and in my opinion a better player than JT at the present time. it may all change next week/month! i just feel that JT's lack of speed is becoming more and more of a problem over the last year or so. We never used to see him diving to the ground as someone beats him outside the penalty area.

Iva will be gone in two years so he would not be a long term captain.

Will one of the new lads step up and be an organiser on the pitch? not so sure as i prefer someone who can naturally see all the pitch in front of him. This means midfield or one of our backs,

It is a choice of 3 for me over the next couple of years.

Ryan Bertrand

David Luiz

Gary Cahill

Seeing only one of them is a regular starter and there is only one David Luiz

and i guess it should be him, however, my vote goes for Gary Cahill and JT to be used less and less over the season.

Vice captain needs to be someone who can give them a kick up the backside or calm them down and it would be a young guy for me. I would go with

Oscar as I like the positive noises coming from his direction! As soon as he can speak English lol