Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what criteria. some managers prefer to go the politics route of selecting captain strictly based of seniority (their status at the club and in football generally) and public image/perception. some chose based on sentimental reasons (personality and character, dressing room influence and sometimes nationality) and some favour leadership qualities on the pitch.

I deally you want your captain to have a bit of everything i,e seniority, Someone who isn't a PR disaster, has dressing room presence leadership qualities on the pitch and imo Fabregas fits the criteria better than anyone not named JT Cech and Drogba out of the current players.

Another player that's very underrated in this regard is Hazard as he has a bit of everything but due to his playfulness sometimes does gives off the impression that he cannot be taken seriously.

Costa and Ivanovic would have been another fantastic candidate but they are far too erratic, emotional and unpredictable on the pitch but their leadership qualities and all round credentials are not in question.

Azpi can do it. He has the right kind of attitude we want other players to look at. There's room for improvement of course.

Cesc has become the obvious choice now. As much as I wanted Brana to do it up until recently, I realised that he is exaggerating way too often.

• 2 months later...

Whilst I think it looks as though Cesc Fabregas will be the next Chelsea captain, I seriously hope it ends up being Cesar Azpilicueta.

Here's why (in my opinion) Dave has all the necessary credentials.

- Age: He's young and could be in the job for many years, but not too young; he's got more than enough experience.

- Performance: This takes care of itself; he's one of the best in the world for his position and is very consistent/reliable.

- Speaking: His English is good, he speaks confidently and articulately.

- Personality: He seems like a very humble guy, whenever he's interviewed he tries to dodge questions about his own performances and talk about the team instead.

- Body: He has a pretty good injury record, more than passable in terms of being on the park often enough to maintain a captaincy position.

- Spirit/Commitment: He's an absolute warrior; the images of him collapsing in exhaustion after repelling yet another Spurs attack in the COC final (bandaged head and all) should go down in Chelsea history.

- Popularity: He's an absolute favourite of his teammates (they voted him as their PotY last season), Mourinho (he's on record as saying that he really likes Cesar), and the Chelsea fans.

- Proper Chels: He loves the club and the city, and signed a new 5 year contract back in September last year.

As I said, I would love Cesar Azpilicueta to be the next Chelsea captain, but if not him or Cesc Fabregas, I believe one of the two Belgians - Eden Hazard or Thibaut Courtois - should wear the armband, as they both tick a lot of the boxes that I have mentioned Cesar does above.

For the next year, Terry. For the season 16/17 Mou could switch the armband between few players. (Cesc, Costa, Cahill, Hazard, Ivan)

After that I'd like to see RLC as a long term captain. Of course, if next season he starts regularly and in 16/17 season becomes irreplaceable in starting 11 like Hazard nowdays.

Whilst I think it looks as though Cesc Fabregas will be the next Chelsea captain, I seriously hope it ends up being Cesar Azpilicueta.

- Age: He's young and could be in the job for many years, but not too young; he's got more than enough experience.

- Performance: This takes care of itself; he's one of the best in the world for his position and is very consistent/reliable.

- Personality: He seems like a very humble guy, whenever he's interviewed he tries to dodge questions about his own performances and talk about the team instead.

- Body: He has a pretty good injury record, more than passable in terms of being on the park often enough to maintain a captaincy position.

- Spirit/Commitment: He's an absolute warrior; the images of him collapsing in exhaustion after repelling yet another Spurs attack in the COC final (bandaged head and all) should go down in Chelsea history.

- Popularity: He's an absolute favourite of his teammates (they voted him as their PotY last season), Mourinho (he's on record as saying that he really likes Cesar), and the Chelsea fans.

- Proper Chels: He loves the club and the city, and signed a new 5 year contract back in September last year.

As I said, I would love Cesar Azpilicueta to be the next Chelsea captain, but if not him or Cesc Fabregas, I believe one of the two Belgians - Eden Hazard or Thibaut Courtois - should wear the armband, as they both tick a lot of the boxes that I have mentioned Cesar does above.

Good suggestion, would love to see Azpi in a leadership role at Chelsea!

I was pretty set on Matic or Cesc before, but tbh this has actually swayed me. I then tried to think of any reason why Azpi couldn't be a great captain, and I couldn't think of one :).

I was pretty set on Matic or Cesc before, but tbh this has actually swayed me. I then tried to think of any reason why Azpi couldn't be a great captain, and I couldn't think of one :).

I think that sums it up pretty well - Dave certainly isn't the first name that would pop into everyone's heads, and non-Chelsea supporters or people who are less knowledgeable about our club would probably be surprised if he was appointed, but when you actually sit down and think it through, he really does tick all the boxes.

I hope that the powers that be at the club have the courage to look beyond perhaps the simple conservative decision that would be to give the captaincy to Cesc (because he was captain of Arsenal) and make a gutsy decision that I'm sure would pay off.

• 3 months later...

As John Terry is nearing 35 years of age and still looking like a rock, nothing is eternal and soon we will have to have someone to put the armband on his holy hand.

I've added a vote of our players for which you can vote if you think they should be that man. I've picked players myself, and if you think I should've put someone else there also, give the name and a valid argument why he should be on the list.

Players I've picked.

Cesc Fabregas

2015-05-24T171816Z_75489496_MT1ACI137612

No real arguments needed here. Mourinho already hinted that Cesc could be the man, and besides that, he has been an successful captain at Arsenal already. Since he came here he was great, his relationship with Jose seems great, and overall he seems a very nice person.

Diego Costa

6893759-large.jpg

While some may argue he's not captain material and is too wild, you can also argue that by putting the arm band on him it may calm him down. Our fans love him already to bone and he seems to have been created to be Chelsea's striker.

Nemanja Matic

hi-res-6756721ad1da7a549e9f15cb6273f6b8_

I personally think he a bit of a quiet guy, but still, a great player, very good person and someone who I think really loves the club. Mourinho's favorite too.

Branislav Ivanovic

Branislav-Ivanovic-Chelsea.jpg

Serbia captain, crazy and funny off the pitch with plenty of experience. Yes, 31 and not a long term solution, but still earns the place on the list for me.

Garry Cahill

45746691.jpg

Learned from the best captain (in the history of club). That alone is worth a spot.

Eden Hazard

Eden-Hazard-561707.jpg

He's really becoming something special, we've seen he's a great guy off the pitch, and being a father already also means he has learned really fast what it means being a captain :D

Also, it would a way to strengthen his tie with the club and keep him here long term.

Kurt Zouma

Kurt-Zouma-Chelsea.png

And finally Zum Zum. Yeah, he's young, yet to prove himself, yadda yadda yadda...done? He seems to be so full of positive energy whenever you see him, he big, strong, fit as an ox and could be a long term solution.

As much as i would LOVE to see us giving it to Eden, as he'd flourish lire and have a bigger bond with this club ( he captained Belgium in their last two games ), I believe we should give Iva the vice captain spot for now, this guy is captain material, no words needed to explain it to him.

I always prefer the captain to be a midfielder though, majes it easier to make the run towards the referee to calm things or talk to the ref, a midfielder is on average the closest to actions i guess. Sometmes things get bad if your captain doesn't intervene, that's why i didn't fancy Petr as captain at the time.

As John Terry is nearing 35 years of age and still looking like a rock, nothing is eternal and soon we will have to have someone to put the armband on his holy hand.

I've added a vote of our players for which you can vote if you think they should be that man. I've picked players myself, and if you think I should've put someone else there also, give the name and a valid argument why he should be on the list.

Players I've picked.

Cesc Fabregas

No real arguments needed here. Mourinho already hinted that Cesc could be the man, and besides that, he has been an successful captain at Arsenal already. Since he came here he was great, his relationship with Jose seems great, and overall he seems a very nice person.

Diego Costa

While some may argue he's not captain material and is too wild, you can also argue that by putting the arm band on him it may calm him down. Our fans love him already to bone and he seems to have been created to be Chelsea's striker.

Nemanja Matic

I personally think he a bit of a quiet guy, but still, a great player, very good person and someone who I think really loves the club. Mourinho's favorite too.

Branislav Ivanovic

Serbia captain, crazy and funny off the pitch with plenty of experience. Yes, 31 and not a long term solution, but still earns the place on the list for me.

Garry Cahill

Learned from the best captain (in the history of club). That alone is worth a spot.

Eden Hazard

He's really becoming something special, we've seen he's a great guy off the pitch, and being a father already also means he has learned really fast what it means being a captain :D

Also, it would a way to strengthen his tie with the club and keep him here long term.

Kurt Zouma

And finally Zum Zum. Yeah, he's young, yet to prove himself, yadda yadda yadda...done? He seems to be so full of positive energy whenever you see him, he big, strong, fit as an ox and could be a long term solution.

Costa and Ivanovic are emotionally unstable to be a captain. And regarding Cahill, what's the point of learning from the best when he doesn't put it into practice?