The Thread is Dark and Full of Spoilers: "Game of Thrones" discussion

manpe

This is the Game of Thrones thread, friend, not the self reflecting one my man

Imagine following someone around a forum and having to click an extra button because you have them on ignore just to read their posts and try to get a reaction. Life points = none.

As someone who has read the books I'm disappointed to see some of the changes they're making – I've watched every leaked episode btw.

I'M GONNA BE PISSED AS FUCK IF THEY HAVE INDEED KILLED SER BARRISTAN IN THAT MOB FIGHT AT THE END OF THE 4TH EPISODE!

As someone who has read the books I'm disappointed to see some of the changes they're making – I've watched every leaked episode btw.

I'M GONNA BE PISSED AS FUCK IF THEY HAVE INDEED KILLED SER BARRISTAN IN THAT MOB FIGHT AT THE END OF THE 4TH EPISODE!
I have only watched episode 1 but it wouldn't mean much if they got rid of him, tbh

I have only watched episode 1 but it wouldn't mean much if they got rid of him, tbh

It's not about getting rid of him, it's about how it was done. The man was supposed to be a legend – old or not – and the unsullied supposed to be really strong fighters, but then they're wiped by 20 random people with knives/daggers, I mean, COME ON.

It's not about getting rid of him, it's about how it was done. The man was supposed to be a legend – old or not – and the unsullied supposed to be really strong fighters, but then they're wiped by 20 random people with knives/daggers, I mean, COME ON.

I'm watching the episodes as they are aired by HBO so I haven't seen that, but if it is true, then that is a disappointment.

Major spoilers below.

• I'm massively happy they brought back Jaqen Hghar. Merging him with the Kindly Man was a masterstroke.
  • I like the merging of the Jaime storyline with Arys Oakheart. Jaime does literally next to nothing in the fifth book apart from attend the Siege of Riverrun, so sending him to Dorne is an excellent choice. Speaking of Dorne, I love the casting for Doran and I'm pleased that Ellaria Sand has been given a prominent role following Oberyn's death. But another major part of this storyline is bringing Bronn back into the fold. TV Bronn is arguably one of the best characters, so having him there is a great, great decision, as he is moreorless written out of the books by this point.
  • The Varys/Tyrion scenes are fantastic. They have clearly decided to get rid of the Jon Conn/(f)Aegon storyline from the fifth book. I always believed this was a load of bullshit and was just another plotline GRRM came up with to deviate Tyrion from meeting Dany. Speeding that up makes perfect sense.
  • The Night's Watch election scene was fantastic, arguably the best scene in the show this season. Having Aemon cast the deciding vote was brilliant! Sam's speech was excellent and highlights why he is one of everybody's favourite characters.
  • The Brienne and Sansa scenes in the Vale are very, very interesting. Always nice to see Brienne kicking some ass like the absolute boss she is, but it makes me curious as to where they are going to take that storyline from here.
  • I hope they aren't writing Kevan Lannister out of the series. He does a great job in controlling Cersei in the books.

Overall what a fantastic episode!

Major spoilers below.

• I'm massively happy they brought back Jaqen Hghar. Merging him with the Kindly Man was a masterstroke.
  • I like the merging of the Jaime storyline with Arys Oakheart. Jaime does literally next to nothing in the fifth book apart from attend the Siege of Riverrun, so sending him to Dorne is an excellent choice. Speaking of Dorne, I love the casting for Doran and I'm pleased that Ellaria Sand has been given a prominent role following Oberyn's death. But another major part of this storyline is bringing Bronn back into the fold. TV Bronn is arguably one of the best characters, so having him there is a great, great decision, as he is moreorless written out of the books by this point.
  • The Varys/Tyrion scenes are fantastic. They have clearly decided to get rid of the Jon Conn/(f)Aegon storyline from the fifth book. I always believed this was a load of bullshit and was just another plotline GRRM came up with to deviate Tyrion from meeting Dany. Speeding that up makes perfect sense.
  • The Night's Watch election scene was fantastic, arguably the best scene in the show this season. Having Aemon cast the deciding vote was brilliant! Sam's speech was excellent and highlights why he is one of everybody's favourite characters.
  • The Brienne and Sansa scenes in the Vale are very, very interesting. Always nice to see Brienne kicking some ass like the absolute boss she is, but it makes me curious as to where they are going to take that storyline from here.
  • I hope they aren't writing Kevan Lannister out of the series. He does a great job in controlling Cersei in the books.

Shame we wont see the interaction of jamie and blackfish though

I haven't read the books but I fucking love the tv seires..

One thing I just cannot stand seeing is that cheesy and more annoyingly well sculptured warrior who is shagging the Mother of Dragons.

I guess I'm just jealous!

Major spoilers below.

It's not that I have any particular qualm with Jaime going after Myrcella but I found everything around that decision overly stupid. He says he doesn't wanna start a war but he's probably one of the most recognizable faces in Westeros, yet he doesn't take too much caution with his transportation nor does he really have any plan on how to succeed in said rescue, he just recruits another guy and that's it, let's go to Sunspear. He doesn't even seem to be particularly concerned with disguising himself if I remember correctly. I know Jaime is reckless and usually doesn't think everything through but wasn't he supposed to have become a little bit smarter and changed for the better after losing his good sword hand?

Shame we wont see the interaction of jamie and blackfish though

True, but there is still time for that in the wars to come...

It's not that I have any particular qualm with Jaime going after Myrcella but I found everything around that decision overly stupid. He says he doesn't wanna start a war but he's probably one of the most recognizable faces in Westeros, yet he doesn't take too much caution with his transportation nor does he really have any plan on how to succeed in said rescue, he just recruits another guy and that's it, let's go to Sunspear. He doesn't even seem to be particularly concerned with disguising himself if I remember correctly. I know Jaime is reckless and usually doesn't think everything through but wasn't he supposed to have become a little bit smarter and changed for the better after losing his good sword hand?

True, but this is part of his redemption arc, as is with Theon and Sansa at Winterfell.

Weakest episode of the season so far. So arbitrary. The scene with Stannis and Shireen was wonderful and offered some episode redemption. I guessed I'm still pissed at the death at the end of the episode, although it was a badass way for a badass character to go. Not feeling the Jaime/Bronn storyline at all. I'm happy the two of them are getting more screen time, because in the books at this stage Jaime is basically out of the picture and Bronn has been written out. But the travelling to Dorne aspect has been executed very poorly Jaime doesn't want to start a war - so why is he sneaking into the country like an illegal immigrant when he is one of the biggest celebrities in Westeros?

Good parts:

• Jorah/Tyrion went back to the books. These two could provide a welcome distraction this series.
  • Littlefinger and Sansa talking about Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.
  • Dany and Barristan talking about Rhaegar pretending to be a minstrel in the streets of Kings Landing.
  • Shireen/Stannis scenes. This season and Season 4 have helped to un-douche Stannis.
  • The Sons of the Harpy.

Bad parts:

• The Sons of the Harpy end sequence. Cool, but a cheap death as a cliffhanger... spoiled by the preview to episode five.
  • Mel and John. What the fuck? Salvaged by "You know nothing", but nonetheless unnecessary.
  • Faith Militant. Religious zealot/ISIS parodies who have emerged out of nowhere. Stupid.

EDIT - Can I also just say that if Brienne kills Stannis I'm done.