The Hobbit

TacticalBlues

This. He is amazing. Have you seen the TV show Fargo? He is amazing in that.

Actually I was planning to watch it soon. However I've watched Sherlock. I think he is really good at playing characters with a good sense of humour like both Bilbo and Dr. John Watson.

How is Lester's personality in fargo?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hobbit is a good movie, but as its been mentioned from a lot of people it does not come close to what LOTR was. I was expecting a little bit more. I feel the hobbit lacks in detail in comparison to LOTR. For me the two things that stand out in lord of the rings are the details and the music. The music is fucking insane. I don't think the hobbit has the same quality in these two areas.

By the way, Christopher Lee said Saruman gets a lot of screen time in the battle of the five armies. Fucking great. Always a pleasure to see the legend back in action.

And lastly want to say for me the best thing about the hobbit is Martin Freeman. Brilliant actor, one of the best.

what do you think sarumans role will be? as he isnt in the actual battle.

Actually I was planning to watch it soon. However I've watched Sherlock. I think he is really good at playing characters with a good sense of humour like both Bilbo and Dr. John Watson.

How is Lester's personality in fargo?

He's very reserved. Anxious often, he takes a lot of shit from people to avoid confrontation. Freeman absolutely kills it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thoughts?

Beware, there are a shitload of spoilers in this post. Read on at your own peril.

Trust me there's a lot of spoilers here
Don't open unless you've watched the film
Choulo is a sharmouta
MY NAME JEFF
Last chance...
Okay, you're asking for it.

There were some epic scenes, and there were some daft-as-fuck scenes. I mean, daft even for a fantasy film. Legolas walking on falling rocks and flying whilst hanging onto a giant bat, the Dwarves riding goats and hogs up the side of a mountain, Azog using a giant mace and instead of just dropping it whilst being stuck on cracking ice he continues to try and hold it, Bard using his son as fucking longbow... ridiculous even by Peter Jackson's standards.

Frustrating as hell. The whole first movie is about Thorin trying to find the Arkenstone. Bard keeps it, waves it at Thorin, then all of a sudden a giant army of Orcs arrives and nobody says anything about it. I was hoping we'd see Thorin buried with Arkenstone and with Orcrist, but ultimately his death is almost ignored completely. Speaking of Bard, he just suddenly disappears. Yes, it's alluded to by Alfred (in his own right a ridiculous character, even if he is intended to offer comic relief) that he becomes the new Master of Laketown, but it would have been nice to have seen what happens to the Dwarves - a montage showing Balin trying to retake Moria, the future of Bard and his family. So many loose ends. And what about Beorn? Why even bother introducing him in the second film to show him for a grand total of five seconds in the Battle? Beorn and the Eagles constituted one of the Five Armies, and in the book he was the one who crushed Bolg in battle - what an epic scene that could have been. Instead they gave Legolas, who kicks enough arse in TLOTR trilogy alone without single-handedly winning a battle here - that honour. Stupid.

But as I said there were some incredible scenes. Smaug at the start was very impressive. The battle between Elrond, Saruman, Galadriel against Sauron and the Nazgul was absolutely awesome. And I'll admit Thorin's scenes inside the Lonely Mountain, where we see him effectively go insane, were very well shot and acted. Lee Pace as Thranduil was brilliant. I also have to admit that even though the character of Tauriel was panned by many Tolkien fans, I think at times she carries the film and her love story adds a different dimension - one of love, which is otherwise missing entirely in the series (let's not kid ourselves, TLOTR is effectively a love triangle about Arwen, Aragon and Eowyn based around a fuck-off war...). The way the film was linked to the start of The Fellowship of the Ring was also very clever, with Legolas going off to find "Strider" and Bilbo welcoming Gandalf to his 111th birthday celebrations.

There was a lot of good in this film, but a lot of bad. The truth is, it is, by far, the weakest of the six Middle Earth films. I hope the extended edition can rescue the film by tying up the numerous loose ends!

My personal ratings of the series (based on the Extended Editions of AUJ, TFOTR, TTT and TROTK):

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8.5/10

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 8/10

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 7/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 9.5/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 10/10

Thoughts?

Beware, there are a shitload of spoilers in this post. Read on at your own peril.

Trust me there's a lot of spoilers here
Don't open unless you've watched the film
Choulo is a sharmouta
MY NAME JEFF
Last chance...
Okay, you're asking for it.

There were some epic scenes, and there were some daft-as-fuck scenes. I mean, daft even for a fantasy film. Legolas walking on falling rocks and flying whilst hanging onto a giant bat, the Dwarves riding goats and hogs up the side of a mountain, Azog using a giant mace and instead of just dropping it whilst being stuck on cracking ice he continues to try and hold it, Bard using his son as fucking longbow... ridiculous even by Peter Jackson's standards.

Frustrating as hell. The whole first movie is about Thorin trying to find the Arkenstone. Bard keeps it, waves it at Thorin, then all of a sudden a giant army of Orcs arrives and nobody says anything about it. I was hoping we'd see Thorin buried with Arkenstone and with Orcrist, but ultimately his death is almost ignored completely. Speaking of Bard, he just suddenly disappears. Yes, it's alluded to by Alfred (in his own right a ridiculous character, even if he is intended to offer comic relief) that he becomes the new Master of Laketown, but it would have been nice to have seen what happens to the Dwarves - a montage showing Balin trying to retake Moria, the future of Bard and his family. So many loose ends. And what about Beorn? Why even bother introducing him in the second film to show him for a grand total of five seconds in the Battle? Beorn and the Eagles constituted one of the Five Armies, and in the book he was the one who crushed Bolg in battle - what an epic scene that could have been. Instead they gave Legolas, who kicks enough arse in TLOTR trilogy alone without single-handedly winning a battle here - that honour. Stupid.

But as I said there were some incredible scenes. Smaug at the start was very impressive. The battle between Elrond, Saruman, Galadriel against Sauron and the Nazgul was absolutely awesome. And I'll admit Thorin's scenes inside the Lonely Mountain, where we see him effectively go insane, were very well shot and acted. Lee Pace as Thranduil was brilliant. I also have to admit that even though the character of Tauriel was panned by many Tolkien fans, I think at times she carries the film and her love story adds a different dimension - one of love, which is otherwise missing entirely in the series (let's not kid ourselves, TLOTR is effectively a love triangle about Arwen, Aragon and Eowyn based around a fuck-off war...). The way the film was linked to the start of The Fellowship of the Ring was also very clever, with Legolas going off to find "Strider" and Bilbo welcoming Gandalf to his 111th birthday celebrations.

There was a lot of good in this film, but a lot of bad. The truth is, it is, by far, the weakest of the six Middle Earth films. I hope the extended edition can rescue the film by tying up the numerous loose ends!

My personal ratings of the series (based on the Extended Editions of AUJ, TFOTR, TTT and TROTK):

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8.5/10

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 8/10

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 7/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 9.5/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9/10

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 10/10

Agreed with basically every single thing.

Such a shame really, as all of these films are a master piece in their own respected genre and it is now finally over.

I can only hope that either Peter Jackson or another director takes the bold move and create films based on The Silmarillion, (The Stories before The Third Age and the Ring of Power).

Pretty good assessment, Alex. Particularly agree with what you wrote about the links to LotR which added a lovely tone of nostalgia for me.

The last five minutes or so rescued what was a pretty average conclusion. Very neat storytelling, but that doesn't excuse the other 120 minutes.

Agreed with basically every single thing.

Such a shame really, as all of these films are a master piece in their own respected genre and it is now finally over.

I can only hope that either Peter Jackson or another director takes the bold move and create films based on The Silmarillion, (The Stories before The Third Age and the Ring of Power).

It's a shame it's over - it's even more of a shame that one of the great film series has come to such a limp conclusion. Thankfully these are only prequels and ultimately it's The Lord of the Rings that'll be remembered in 100 years.

The last five minutes or so rescued what was a pretty average conclusion. Very neat storytelling, but that doesn't excuse the other 120 minutes.

It's a shame it's over - it's even more of a shame that one of the great film series has come to such a limp conclusion. Thankfully these are only prequels and ultimately it's The Lord of the Rings that'll be remembered in 100 years.

Yep, pretty much that. Even as for the second movie I thought that most of what was happening was either "lame" or too predictable and it wasn't different in the 3rd one so everything (those links to LotR especially) that made me personally feel some way was more than welcome. I haven't read the book so I can't say whether or not the movies have lived up to the it but having read a few reviews it really seems that the story was stretched too much in the movies' adaption which made the 3 films lose most of their tension and potential throughout various spans.

what a disappointment!!! the action and graphics and yada yada yada were good but the essence of the book was completely stolen. dont know why legolas (bloom) and tauriel had to be introduced. the love story angle between kili and tauriel was BAD. why was "alfrid" given such importance? i can go on and on.

my best moment of the movie would be the last scene which was well morphed into the first scene of LOTR... now when my children will watch the movies, they can watch it in the right order!!! :lol:

now hoping for jackson to try and make movies on silmarillion. THAT would be a real challenge!!!

I haven't read the book so I can't say whether or not the movies have lived up to the it

LOTR did. hobbit most definitely did not. it should have been done as a trilogy. there were not as many incidences in the book to be stretched into 6-7 hours of movie. the first film was pretty good. simply cos it preety much stuck to the storyline except for here and there. for eg - that scene where bilbo forgets his handkercheif which was in the book as well as movie, just to show how much of a stickler bilbo was and the immense change that the journey will bring on him.

as the storyline kept drifting away from the original story, it kept getting bad because is there is better storyteller/writer than JRR tolkein?

i mean legolas going all the way upto angband, sees an army and comes back 2 minutes before the army arrives to warn them, what use was that whole sequence.

LOTR on the other hand was just phenomenal. if ever there was a movie that has done justice to a book, it is LOTR. everything you could imagine while reading the book was replicated in front of your eyes.