Live; Freefall Jump from Space

Fulham Broadway

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am astounded. What the hell did i just see. How can a human being do this? I am still buzzing and it's midnight here!! I am so so so proud that i saw this live.

His breathing just before he jumped and during his free fall, i was shaking. Literally shaking. I feel so proud today, although i have absolutely no relation to him.

when he just dived into the space all I had to say was "wow..."

didn't break the sound barrier, but hell, he showed incredible balls. props to red bull for marketing.

He actually did it.

Felix Baumgartner reached a record speed of 1342,8 km/h.

He actually did it.

Felix Baumgartner reached a record speed of 1342,8 km/h.

I'm not sure he actually broke the sound barrier. Travelling faster than the speed of sound doesn't necessarily mean breaking the sound barrier, that is a common misconception.

Because the propagation speed of sound waves is finite, sources of sound that are moving can begin to catch up with the sound waves they emit. As the speed of the object increases to the sonic velocity (the local velocity of sound waves), these sound waves begin to pile up in front of the object. If the object has sufficient acceleration, it can burst through this barrier of sound waves and move ahead of the radiated sound. The change in pressure as the object outruns all the pressure and sound waves in front of it is heard on the ground as an explosion, or sonic boom.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-happens-when-an-airc

So, to break the sound barrier, the object, or in this case man, must first travel in a speed for some time for the sound waves begin to pile up in front of it/him before accelerating all of a sudden to break that barrier. That creates, as the article I quoted mentions, a huge explosion sound. I'm not even sure breaking the sound barrier is possible in free fall.

As he ascended high above the earth, Baumgartner took to Twitter to greet his fans from space.

He tweeted: 'Live from space! World you are beautiful

____

Speaking afterwards he said: 'Trust me, when you stand up there on top of the world, you become so humble.

'It's not about breaking records any more. It's not about getting scientific data. The only thing you want is to come back alive.'

During the first part of Baumgartner's free fall, anxious onlookers at the command centre held their breath as he appeared to spin uncontrollably.

'When I was spinning the first 10, 20 seconds, I never thought I was going to lose my life but I was disappointed because I'm going to lose my record. I put seven years of my life into this,' he said.

He added: 'In that situation, when you spin around, it's like hell and you don't know if you can get out of that spin or not. Of course it was terrifying. I was fighting all the way down because I knew that there must be a moment where I can handle it.'