test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CHOULO19

General Match Thread

Started by CHOULO19,

55 posts in this topic

Half time, Chelsea u21 5-1 Southampton u21, Abraham & Solanke with numbers four and five. The fifth came from a corner. They've not been able to deal with our corners all night but, ironically, the goal came from the first one they actually managed to get a red head to. Trouble was it dropped to the edge of the box and the resultant shot was fired straight at Dom Solanke who turned it in.

To put the scoreline into perspective, Southampton are top of the league and are unbeaten since September. Mind you they have shown glimpses of their quality. They've had a few chances and could have scored first. Their goal, when it came just before the half, was the best finish of the night so far. Overall though we've been much the better side with Houghton, Colkett, and especially Palmer, dominating in the middle. Jay Dasilva is also having a great game reminding me of Ashley Cole, showing big energy up and down his flank to offer an attacking threat and snapping into tackles.

Really like the look of Tammy Abraham

He's reminding me a little of Lukaku in that it looks like his size and speed are allowing him to get away with a fair few instances of poor control. It's less easy to get away with that at top level, as Lukaku sometimes finds.

Was he injured badly?

It was a knock picked up in a challenge with their keeper. No foul involved but Dom initially stayed down for a minute or so, then played on for about ten more before walking off under his own steam.

It finished 5-3, a result which takes us back to the top of the U21 table.

TOCWS is correctly crediting the third goal to Tammy Abraham rather than to Kasey Palmer as CTV did. His brace on the night takes his goal tally to 28 for the season. For me, Tammy was the most impressive of the front three because, although Brown and Solanke both scored neither played especially well. During the half hour when we blew Southampton away, the main attacking impetus came from Tammy on the right, Dasilva on the left, as well as Colkett, Houghton, and MOTM Kasey Palmer through the middle.

Hamilton likes this

The 21s have just kicked-off against a really strong looking Man Utd side including Valdez, Raphael, Blackett, Powell and Ashley Young. On paper our lads should be beaten but it'll be really interesting to see how they stand up to such a big test.

15 minutes gone, 0-0. United started brightly; no real threats from them but they were on the front foot for most of the opening five minutes. Since then though, it's been all us.

We've got a good side out but not our very best. Boga is injured as usual while Ake and Loftus-Cheek are with the first team for Wednesday.

30 gone now, still 0-0. The second 15 has seen United in the ascendancy, it's been almost all them. Good defensive interventions by Dasilva and Clarke-Salter while a couple of flashes from Mousonda is all we mustered going forward during this spell.

Half time, no score. The third 15 minute session was the most even so far but I'd say we shaded it. Certainly we were the ones taking strikes on goal. Nothing has really troubled Valdez though.

Jay Dasilva has been doing his Ashley Cole impersonation again with good work at both ends of the pitch. However his error near the end of the half, when he was badly positioned, allowed his man to get wrong side and gave United their most threatening moment of the last 15.

1-0 Blues!

Brown charged down a pass from Young which sold Blackett short. He took it into the box then squared it across the six yard line where Solanke was waiting on the far post to touch it home.

Isn't there a rule for how many above 21s can a team have in their match squad? It seems to me half the utd team are full first teammers.

It's also a bit of a c*nt thing to do by united seeing as this match might be huge in deciding the title.

An hour gone, still one up. Mousonda just forced a save from Valdez. To be fair it was a simple stop; I mention it because it came on the end of the most beautiful move you're ever going to see. There were neat passes, dummies and flicks to get Mousonda in on the left. Really nice stuff. We're outplaying them at the moment.

Oh, and Young subbed just before the hour.

Isn't there a rule for how many above 21s can a team have in their match squad? It seems to me half the utd team are full first teammers.

It's also a bit of a c*nt thing to do by united seeing as this match might be huge in deciding the title.

Actually I think it's great. Fantastic challenge for the youngsters, really pleased United have done it.

I think the rule is three over 21 outfielders allowed, plus one over 21 goalkeeper.

1-1, well against the run of play. Big deflection from a free kick on the edge of our box. Great experience from Raphael to win the foul. Running across the edge of our box, he slowed down when he saw Clarke-Salter coming and just positioned himself to draw the challenge. Great play by Raphael, great experience for Jake. Wish the lads could face this kind of opposition every week.