Arsenal - Opposition Views

Steve

We are back to the Premier League this weekend with a tough away game at Arsenal. Zenith, UFGN and Est83 from GoonersWorld.co.uk have taken a moment to answer some questions on this very important clash.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer these questions, we will start with a simple question. How long have you supported Arsenal for?

UFGN: Since a very young age, about 1986. First match was in 87 at Highbury versus Villa. Won 2-0.

Est83: Almost 29 years (my whole life).

Tell us a bit about your season so far, do you like what you have seen and where could you improve?

Zenith: Can't really complain about the way we started, defensively we have improved massively, of course this is only based on a handful of games, but the start has been very decent overall imo, still unbeaten!

UFGN: Losing RvP was a huge blow of course. But I think at the moment Cazorla is looking good and our defence is looking organised, overall a good start. But the season is a long one and its form over the whole season that matters.

Est83: We've seen our good defenders finally play to their potential under the influence of Steve Bould. A return of team defending (we haven't defended as a unit for more than five years now) and the return of our famous brand of football thanks to the signing of a true playmaker in Cazorla (something we were missing last year). Overall we're looking strong, confidant, organised, creative and looking like we're only going to improve. The main man up front does need to start scoring though, this is our main area of concern. Now that we have our creative play back, we're not relying on a single goal scorer as much as we were last year... but no-one wins the league without a talisman that's regularly on the score sheet.

What are your expectations for the remainder of the season and where do you think Arsenal will finish?

Zenith: The same as usual, either 3rd of 4th

UFGN: I think we will finish fourth. I doubt we will win a trophy.

Est83: 3rd place and hopefully a cup. Despite United's performances and squad not matching their points tally I'm fully expecting both Manchester clubs finish above us. City are still the club to beat, they're not playing great but they have the players and they'll eventually click. 2nd is more than possible, won't comment on a potential 1st place finish til March.

Are there any players in your youth setup that you expect big things from in the future?

Zenith: Gnabry, Eisfeld and Yennaris seem to have a very bright future ahead of them.

UFGN: Joel Campbell looks sharp. But then again my judgement of young players is dreadful. I thought Vela would be the next Messi.

Est83: Our first team is a little packed out at the moment, but we give chances to youngsters where other clubs would keep them with the youths. Coquelin, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Fimpong and Oxlade-Chamberlain are all young and all look set to play an important part in the first team in the coming years. Beyond that it's hit 'n' miss. Lansbury and Emmanuel-Thomas looked promising but have recently been sold. Miyachi, Gnarby, AFobe and Aneke are making more noise than anyone else at the moment, so keep an eye on them.

What were your thoughts on Chelsea winning the Champions League last season? Do you think we deserved it with the defending football that we played?

Zenith: If you win it, you deserve it, simple as that but I like to believe if you win things in style ergo with more attractive football, you make it look more deserved. It also makes some extra room for pride of what your club has achieved when they completely dominated their opponent in the final.

UFGN: It would be easy for me to give a diplomatic answer here but I'll go for an honest one. If you have an owner who is determined to buy trophies, then of course one of the side effects of that is that you will win trophies.

Est83: It's not what I like to see to be honest. I can understand scraping through one leg due to injuries or suspensions, or even two legs if you're up against Farcelona! But it looked as though Chelsea were playing for penalties from the off in a number of games, and in my opinion that's unforgivable, especially in a cup final... still, people will only remember the result, so congrats!

Who do you think will win the league and take up the top four Champions League positions this time round?

Zenith: 1: Utd / 2: City / 3: Arsenal /4: Chelsea

UFGN: Man Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal. In that order. Probably.

Est83: Citeh again for the league. Chelsea fourth. The crop of teams fighting it out for fourth (Totscum, Newcastle, Everton) all look good, Newcastle and Everton have certainly kicked on from last year. But there's still a clear gap. Totscum have had too many changes with losing two of their best players and getting a new manager, Newcastle will have the extra European fixtures, and Everton I think will just fall short. I don't think Chelsea will do well but I think they've got more than enough to secure a spot above those three teams.

It must have been hard too see RVP leave Arsenal, Personally I think you have come out the blocks really well and look a big threat again this season. But are you happy with his replacements?

Zenith: Let's just say we didn't get much less than most of us expected, Giroud is experiencing a difficult start but you don't just 'replace' a striker who nets 36 goals in one season. (30 of which in the League)

UFGN: No I am not. As players Podolski and Cazorla are welcome additions, but they should have been additions, not replacements. Constant selling of our top players is a betrayal of the club by the board and the manager.

Est83: It's difficult to see any one player as a direct replacement. The obvious is Giroud. But we're seeing a different approach in Gervinho (and possibly Walcott) as a false 9 as well as Giroud as a more typical lone striker. But like I said before, we've seen the return of our creative play, and with that comes multiple goal scorers. Personally I'm happy with Giroud and I do think he will come good, but in the mean time we're okay so long as everyone keeps chipping in as they are.

If you could sign one Chelsea player who would it be and why?

Zenith: Either Mata or Hazard, who has been involved in most of your goals so far, both add something extra, with their vision/pace/technique. They are valuable players both centrally and on the wings, wouldn't mind having another quality winger as Podolski is rather used as a false winger and Walcott simply isn't one, same for Arshavin.

UFGN: Cech. Long term stability in goal is under-rated

Est83: That freakishly tall 3rd choice keeper you guys have... or is that Citeh? Believe it or not, I'd take Torres. Mata, Hazard and Oscar would fit in effortlessly, but right now we have Giroud and a bunch of plan B's up front, instead of Giroud and genine competition. I think you'll see an improvement in Torres this season if Di Matteo succeeds in revamping Chelsea's style with all these technically gifted midgets he's brought in.

If Chelsea were to sign one of Arsenal's player, who do you think would suit us the most and why?

Zenith: Definitely Sagna, defensively probably the best RB in the world.

UFGN: Chamakh. Hes f***ing amazing. You should sign him. Please.

Est83: You're supposedly between styles at the moment so it's a little difficult to say. You had physically strong midfielders at one point with direct wingers... so maybe Diaby or Theo?

Finally, what is your prediction for our upcoming Premier League encounter?

Zenith: If you don't park the bus like you did against Barcelona, I can see us get away with a close win... 2-1!

UFGN: 2-2

Est83: 3-1 Arsenal or there abouts. We're strong all over the park at the moment, and very organised. Even though the results are going Chelsea's way, you don't seem anywhere near the compact and resolute Chelsea teams of the past. This change of styles has left you looking a little disjointed, and so far you've only played one top team in Atletico Madrid... and we know how that turned out.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic