test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
termninja

Custom windows 7 themes

Started by termninja,

Are you using Windows 7 and are bored of it's default look? You tried searching for some themes but have trouble getting them installed? Well forget it all, I am here to help! :)

We have to making something clear right away though:

I will not be held responsible if anything on your PC gets damaged while or after following this tutorial. Chances are really really low, but chance is always there when you are on windows.

That said, I've modded my PC quite a bit, installed loads of software and it's still working well. Below are some of my desktops which prove this works

Spc76J.png

SbQCKF.png

t8PL5J.png

mWi3Il.png

oUVARY.png

o5v30A.png

MCx3Tf.png

OltSEv.png

6LHZMz.png

wJme0m.png

My best desktop

BBYmwc.png

Alright, so first you will have to get Universal theme patcher because windows restricts modding of its theme by default. UTP will unlock it.

download.png

It's easy to use and it's explain on the link above.

Once you have edited your Windows to allow custom themes you will of course need a theme to install. I would recommend a certain forum that has some of the best graphical designers in the world posting their work there. You can find themes here but you will have to register and give a thanks to a user who created the theme before you will be allowed to download it. Trust me, it's worth your time ;)

This is how.

FJzQty.png

Once you've done that, download link will appear

7ARGTP.png

Download the theme file.

From now on, it varies on how you install the theme, but generally there's an .exe file that will run a setup and install it. After that you simply go to your themes in windows and find the one you added.

The forum I gave you is full of amazing modders so naturally they want to make the best out of best which means they include some additional files in their work. This means they will add more things in file like widgets, buttons, icons and other things. They usually include a readme file explaining how to setup those things so if you want to do it follow their instructions since it would be too long for me to explain.

That's the theme itself.

You probably noticed a bar on top on some of the desktops I posted.

It's called Rocket Dock and here's the link:

download.png

It's easy to install and use. If you want to add icons simple drag them over and when you want to remove any, simply drag them away.

Guys from creativex (forum for themes I posted above) often include a background for a rocket dock. Again, follow their readme file, but generally you will need to copy those files into skins folder where your rocket dock is installed ( example: c:/program files/rocket dock/skins ).

As for icons, their files are in the icons folder ( example c:/program files/rocket dock/icons ). Just put any icons there and load them through rocket dock -> Right click on icon -> Icon settings and then you'll get this window

Pb04ZK.png

Click OK and you'll get this

5fZ42S.png

There are 2 ways I found when it comes to finding icons for rocket dock.

1. From rocket dock's official site, here.

2. Through google images.

Just type in something like this My computer icon and you'll get lots of it. Save the picture where your icons are located. Also, sometimes adding PNG or GIF into search will help because you want the transparent background.

I also uploaded all icons and skins for rocketdock I collected over time. Just download the file below and extract folders named icons and skins from SERBINATOR folder to the place where your rocket dock is installed. When asked to overwrite say yes.

download.png

This all may seem complicated to you, but it's actually rather easy, don't get discouraged ;)

Also, if you need software for working with .rar and .zip files, download 7zip, it's free and really good.

download.png

I haven't noticed any performance drops when I changed my theme. As for rocketdock, it uses a small part of ram, but it's not a lot and you can easily turn it on and off ;)

That should be it and don't forget to post your sexy desktops here ;)

DONI. likes this

Good tutorial, but I'm not a fan of theming tbh. I've done it before and before I know, the computer is bloated with unnecessary stuff. I find the default looks very clean and nice.

Good tutorial, but I'm not a fan of theming tbh. I've done it before and before I know, the computer is bloated with unnecessary stuff. I find the default looks very clean and nice.

I believe it's different in comparison to downloading a program and letting it do it all for you. My old computers used to slow down a lot when I did that. But I have just finished doing it and I can confirm I have no difference in performance.

post-86-0-78682000-1348506545_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I haven't noticed any performance drops when I changed my theme. As for rocketdock, it uses a part of ram, but it's not a lot and you can easily turn it on and off ;)

I believe it's different in comparison to downloading a program and letting it do it all for you. My old computers used to slow down a lot when I did that. But I have just finished doing it and I can confirm I have no difference in performance.

post-86-0-78682000-1348506545_thumb.jpg

Can't find them all, but pretty much most of them are quality :D

One I liked the most

http://creativx.net/...v2-thebull.html

Check these also, but I am more of a black/white/silver guy so you better check around by yourself ;)

http://creativx.net/...en-thebull.html

http://creativx.net/...es-thebull.html

I dont know if theyre of use to anyone but I personalize all my folders for Windows.

These are a couple I put together to keep all my Chelsea stuff in.

Folder%20Chelsea%202_zpssjmultbr.png Folder%20Chelsea%201_zpsnrvvgbso.png

Heres the download link of the Icons.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z5444snbxtx86c7/Chelsea+Folder+Icons.rar

Its very simple to swap them with the normal yellow one but if you need instructions

1. Select the Windows 7 folder you want to customize and RIGHT CLICK on it. You will get this

W0_zpsakbabn8q.png

2. Goto CUSTOMIZE on the tabs

W1_zpsjxavvm0u.png

3. Then click on the CHANGE ICONS at the Folder icons and BROWSE to where you have put the ICON of the Chelsea Folder you want to use. Once folder is selected choose OPEN then APLY

4. Once you then REFRESH the Windows window you will see the Chelsea Folder Icon has changed. IF ya get stuck - shout me.

Chelsea_zps4i2drdqk.jpg