Chelsea vs Juventus

Jase

Souness's thoughts on our CL campaign. Ignore the Daily Fail headline by the way. It's a slightly misleading one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2203829/Chelsea-luckiest-team-history-win-Champions-League-says-Graeme-Souness.html

'Chelsea got away with it last season and they can't approach it the same way this time,' said Souness.

'It is impossible. Nobody in the history of football has ever had that much luck.

'Football is quite simple, you need to have the ball to enjoy it. Nobody enjoys watching their team rely on counter-attacking football because it means spending so much time on the back foot. Chelsea fans have enjoyed the memory of lifting the cup but they wouldn't have enjoyed the Barca and Bayern games while they were taking place.'

Roman Abramovich has spent big again this summer with £32m Belgium star Eden Hazard signed to increase the quota of sexy football. But no team have ever defended the Champions League trophy and Souness says Chelsea have no chance unless they get a lot more of the ball in the big games.

'Roberto Di Matteo can't plan to repeat last season. Fair play to him for playing to Chelsea's strengths, but I have concerns for Chelsea in all competitions this season because their get-out-of-jail-card, Didier Drogba, is playing his football in China.

'Even if Drogba hasn't been able to do it for 90 minutes in recent years, how often did he save them by popping up with the vital goal, like he did in the final?

'I am hoping Fernando Torres can step up to the mark but they are some boots to fill, Drogba was the best centre-forward of his type anywhere. Torres is playing with a bit more confidence now, he seems to be one of those players who needs to be loved to produce his best. But will he ever get back to his Liverpool best? I'm not sure.'

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fs.

The main Juventus-fan Twitter accounts are so pompous and condescending. (They're like their versions of our ChelseaYouth, BlueChronicle etc.)

https://twitter.com/Hashim0307

https://twitter.com/Juventus_FC_fan

https://twitter.com/Adz77

They really are extremely rude towards their own fans. Hashim is probably the worst of the 3. Scroll through his timeline to when we were playing QPR. Assuming he's not removed the tweets (which he often does), you'll see some pretty idiotic stuff.

What about a good ol' 4-3-3 ...

----------------Cech--------------

Ivke/Azpi--Cahill---Luiz---Cole

---------------Mikel---------------

-----Ramires-------Mata--------

Moses--------------------Hazard

---------Torres/Sturridge-------

Good squad for me but one thing - JT will be available, so him and Cahill would be good choice on high up front Juve. For me, it's too important game to play Azpi, not Branco. Also on now, probably would prefer to play Sturr than Fernando from the start...

What about a good ol' 4-3-3 ...

----------------Cech--------------

Ivke/Azpi--Cahill---Luiz---Cole

---------------Mikel---------------

-----Ramires-------Mata--------

Moses--------------------Hazard

---------Torres/Sturridge-------

That is what we should use pretty much for every game.

Good squad for me but one thing - JT will be available, so him and Cahill would be good choice on high up front Juve. For me, it's too important game to play Azpi, not Branco. Also on now, probably would prefer to play Sturr than Fernando from the start...

I understand your concern, but I would rather have a Terry-Cahill partnership vs Stoke who are very physical and also Terry is a little injured (and by not playing vs Juve, he would be 100% fit for Stoke). I agree that this is a very important game, but Ivanovic has played non stop for over a month now ... he even played 90 minutes twice for Serbia during the international break. I would like to play Azpilicueta for Stoke, but again that may not be the most easy debut, so thats why I wrote an option for either Cesar or Brane. On the basis of last 10-15 minutes vs QPR, I would prefer Sturridge too, but I think Torres will start.

Yeah, I feel that RDM will decide to play Torres anyway, and it's nothing wrong, I still believe in him. It's just Daniel deserves to start, after dealing with role of "come on in '70 minute player" and being great when he does.

I've nothing against Cahill Luiz playing together, but without Terry I'll not be calm about our defense. They can play brilliant, and like with Atletico. Terry would calm everything down, despite his error against QPR.

Regarding Branco, he don't need to play all the game, but he needs to be in first XI. Why? Eventually without Terry, two defensive changes in game with such team as Juve could end really bad. He could play around an hour...

FT Genoa 1-3 Juventus. Giaccherini, Vucinic(PK) and Asamoah all scored in the comeback for Juventus. Harsh result on Genoa it has to be said. Played well but just didn't take their chances when it came whereas Juventus did. Should have been way out of sight before Giaccherini blasted home the equalizer.

I think Torres will start against Juventus, and Studge will start against Stoke regardless of Torres' performance.

Trust me.If Torres nets two goals or even a hat trick then there is no way he is going to be sitting on the bench against Stoke as we will start to think that the old Torres is back.

well if we dont see 433 i fear the worst from the double pivot. mikel will be totally isolated with passing options. we still are yet to beat a Top Top team, and we all know RDM has to play a defensive winger.

all i/we can do is pray that RDM finally gets the fukin memo that we dont have

a.) the players for that formation

b.)nor the depth to constantly keep playing it.

just gota let RDM continue with his philosphy:

"prepare for the worst but just pray for the best"