IS RDM the man to take CFC Forward?

Muzchap

RDM  

173 members have voted

1. 1. IS RDM the man to take CFC Forward?

Think many are just pissed over the result because of their ignorance and arrogance in thinking we will just walkover QPR today.

Exactly. Some people expect us to win every match against a decent side 3-0 and 7-0 against poorer sides. Going into the season, a realistic expectation was (still is) 3rd place. Last year's 3rd place team Arsenal lost 10 matches and drew 7, winning 55% of their matches. There are just so many ridiculous expectations.

1) That RDM is going to use tactics that you want and the players you want. No manager will ever do that. They also know things we do not.

2) The RDM will drop a player after one bad game or one bad match or even a couple of bad plays. The truth is, every single player has poor periods and some need to play out of them.

3) That Chelsea will play well and win every single game. (Just absurd).

4) That not only will they win every single game, but they will look great doing it. Fluid passing, excellent finishing, dominating possession.

5) That the players you want to play well will play well every single game and the players you want to see replaced will play poorly every single game. The levels of confirmation bias are just insane.

We're top of the league and people are freaking out. Honestly, stuff like this puts me off of this board.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant beleive he started so defensively at QPR. Looking at the line up you would think you are playing Man Utd at OT or Man City at Etihad. He should have started with Moses and gone for 3 points right from the start. Games like these should be 3 points in the bag and this game will hurt us end of the season

I would agree if this wasn't Moses debut. Had Moses started and had a bad game, RDM would get slated for starting an inexpirienced debutante in a derby match. In fact had a couple of decisions in the first half went the way they should have and we ran out as winners today, we would be saying that Roberto did well to play Ryan and Rami on the wings to absorb QPR's enthusiasm at home.

I never thought he would be the man to take Chelsea forward in the first place. I still think, whenever Guardiola says hes ready, RDM will be gone faster than you can say Pep.

I am not sure whether RDM is the man for the job, sometimes I have my doubts but I am really not in a position to decide that.

I just want us to get someone that can manage the club for more than just a year. I want someone on the long term, but I highly doubt RDM will be that person.

You people stop fucking complaining, this is a forum, anyone can voice there opinion. It clearly says you can vote 'too early to say' as well, so stop complaining about it. We had a worrying display and haven't even looked that good despite the 10 points in four games. Only calm game was against Newcastle.

Unfortunately Muzchap you have to get used to this, you will get grief for this but just get past it.

As for my opinion on it, i said he's a huge gamble before the season, but i did say he deserves the go for what he did. He did an amazing thing last season he must've won the players. But we haven't seen the tactical and consistent side of him yet, he has tonnes of pressure on him. Jamie Redknapp said earlier in the season that Pep Guardiola is going to be constantly brought up whenever our side is performing badly. Roman loves atractive football and we all know that, he's going to favor Guardiola if things don't work out.

I want Di Matteo to show more confidence in our signings, for example play Azpic instead of Ivanovic. And Sturridge needs to play over Torres at the moment.

I never thought he would be the man to take Chelsea forward in the first place. I still think, whenever Guardiola says hes ready, RDM will be gone faster than you can say Pep.

I am not sure whether RDM is the man for the job, sometimes I have my doubts but I am really not in a position to decide that.

I just want us to get someone that can manage the club for more than just a year. I want someone on the long term, but I highly doubt RDM will be that person.

please, kindly tell me who that someone is?

enlighten me.

i will virtually bitchslap you if you say it is guardiola.

please, kindly tell me who that someone is?

enlighten me.

i will virtually bitchslap you if you say it is guardiola.

Your guess is as good as mine mate, I never said I know who it would be. I just don't think it can be RDM.

few things that grind my gears

RdM is not in a AVB type situation where he has to use players that simply arent good enough for a club aspiring to win the PL, CL, neither does he have players who dislike him and therefore dont perform on the pitch (I assume?)

we know we have a quality squad now...we as fans dont feel entitled to win every game, especially away games that are more or less 'tough'. but we DO expect better knowing the potential of the team and the amount of money invested, money that everyone is very appreciative is being spent by our owner and the club

so it's natural that questions will be asked and threads like this will be made after a few dubious performances in a row, questions like..

why does RdM keep on putting players who consistently haven't been good enough in the starting XI? why does he persist with formations and pairings that don't work very well (Lampard - Mikel double pivot). why does he continue to play good players out of their natural position (Ramires, Bertrand). and maybe most pressing when it's obvious we don't perform as well on the pitch as we would like, why doesnt he give more playing time to the quality players we have sitting on the bench (Sturridge, Oscar, Romeu, Moses, Azpi)? obviously we as fans can only judge by what we see in the games played but even if you were to give reasons such as "they havent had enough time to gel into the team", "they havent performed in training" et cet. et cet. sometimes you have to gamble...gamble Di Matteo, God Damnit GAMBLE!!!

and then you have to read stuff in his post match interviews like

"On the game overall

'The only disappointment was we didn't score the goal with the chances we created because all in all, the performance was very good,' Di Matteo said."

now either he actually believes what he says which would be worrying in itself or isn't aware that these type of statements will just agitate the fans. I think more honesty would earn him a lot more respect in the long run

I believe he's the one to keep us flirting with the top 6 with the occasional FA Cup triumph or win over a big rival; Not the man to take us to the next level.

He doesn't have that same sort of philosophy of football which managers like, Pep, Wenger and, dare I say it, AVB have, which I believe is essential at a top club. (AVB just tried too much too quickly really. He also needs to grow as a person more.)

In fact, it's not a matter of what sort of philosophy, but just having one at all!

I know it's hard to do here considering our manager's rarely make transfers themselves, so surely someone should eventually be brought in who's already instilled the philosophy Roman wants elsewhere.

We won the Champions League by taking a step back to when Mourinho managed us.

We won the FA Cup by taking a step back and playing a little similar to how we played under Ancelotti.

Winning trophies doesn't mean he's shown anything to hint he can move us forward.

Of course the man who won the FA Cup and Champions League and now has a team top of the league isn't the man to take us forward :fainthv9:

I am by no means saying that he is the perfect man to take us forward, it is too early to say, which is why I voted for that option in the poll. What pisses me off is how people assume after 2 games, 1 of which we didn't even lose, that RDM isn't right. Yes he made mistakes but he is in his managerial infancy and is still learning. It is always the same people who vote no to every manager and are always on their back after a draw or loss. The same people who vote 'no' in this poll were probably the same people who thought Ancelotti should have been sacked and wanted AVB sacked after 2 or so bad results (yes he should have been sacked but it is how early people decided that he should be sacked that annoyed me). They are probably also the same people who think it would be all perfect and rosy under Guardiola- a man who will make no mistakes and we will win every game.

As soon as people launch personal attacks on Di Matteo (insulting him, not to be confused with insulting his tactics) you will be able to identify the real plastics and gloryhunters.

Damn.... I can't believe some of the posts I read in here at times. AVB comes in and goes for an attacking style of football dropping the 'old guard' which everyone was crying out for, then after a fair few bad results the majority of our fans started to question if he was the right man to take us forward. Now we keep hold of RDM who decides to keep the 'old guard' at the center of the team and plays a more defensive style and yet the same questions are being asked..... Now I personally questioned the permanent appointment of RDM at the helm of CFC but when will be happy?... We dropped 2 points in a game that was overshadowed by Anton's bitching so it was a difficult fixture. We need to start accepting RDM is our man for this season and after a few games in we can't expect him to just throw our new signings into the first team, leaving out some very influential players who played major roles in winning the CL for us last season. Stop moaning and smile... we are top of the league!

Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction topic after a frustrating match :rolleyes:

Nope, I've concerns on my own for months. Not reproaching anything in a targeted way at the end of last season, it basically depended of a precise context. But then I though we won't be able to more forward from what was basically a good caretaker job.

Way too much clubs got fooled by the "caretaker effect" by handing him a contract. I explained my thoughs in the "RDM out" topic during the summer.

I really like Di Matteo, I wasn't a Chelsea fan when he played but I know the impact he had on the club. I do think we don't have to force fate and ask some legends to come again into a daily routine. Manager is such a difficult job, especially at Chelsea where there's a need to produce results quickly. Even with a good season or two, a time will eventually come where we'll have to get rid of a former player who was cheered by the crowd. That's too sad to dehorne a legend's image (reason why I really don't want Zola near the Chelsea's bench in the future)

Di Matteo was a plan B after Guardiola, Hiddink, Capello or whoever. I doubt his managerial skills for quite some time and I must admit that I do feel for him in the same time, he's been made the figuerehad of the "revolution" whereas the only thing he got is an even smaller squad where experience has been transfered into expectations on young players who has a lot to prove.

I made an article about Chelsea's current issues (at least questions) that I shall put online next week

People seem to forget that we are still top of the league. 10 points out of possible 4 games is fine by me and we beat Stoke every season at home so hopefully we have another 3 points next week against them. Nothing major to worry about

People seem to forget that we are still top of the league. 10 points out of possible 4 games is fine by me and we beat Stoke every season at home so hopefully we have another 3 points next week against them. Nothing major to worry about

But for how long? If in 2 months we find us rolling along in 5th or 6th place because thee problems seen against Madrid or QPR are still not addressed, what then?

But for how long? If in 2 months we find us rolling along in 5th or 6th place because thee problems seen against Madrid or QPR are still not addressed, what then?

True, but I am sure RDM will go with a much more offensive outlook against Stoke which I think has been most people's concern (defensive layout). Also Newcastle at home, Wigan away and QPR aqay last season we only picked up 1 point compared to 7 this season. I do agree with you some ways, when we face stronger opposition I do worry. especially in the striking department

True, but I am sure RDM will go with a much more offensive outlook against Stoke which I think has been most people's concern (defensive layout). Also Newcastle at home, Wigan away and QPR aqay last season we only picked up 1 point compared to 7 this season. I do agree with you some ways, when we face stronger opposition I do worry. especially in the striking department

Its the midfield I'm worried about, how long will it take for him to realize that the Mikel, Lampard partnership is not a steady and sustainable one. And as we saw against Madrid good teams will constantly take advantage of this, even QPR were able to for long periods in the game. This will be his undoing as the manager of Chelsea Football Club.

And you say he will be more offensive against Stoke, if he was alarmingly over cautious with QPR, when will he decide to be more offensive?

I don't look at the statistical aspect of the season. Many will say that's the only thing that matters, the table is the truth. That's not false but in order to make a team improving, you need something else than "we got ... points out of ... games" etc

The table is the reflection of your work on training. Work is a pratical value, stats are the illustration

Basically I've concerns about Di Matteo's ability to change things under pressure (we've no clue about that when we look at his managerial career) and find the right balance tactically. But on the other hand, players have their responsibilities as well.

I prefer to be pleasingly surprised rather than expects marvellous things and get disappointed. All I want is to be proved wrong. And all my concerns are currently confirmed and materialized as the season goes on

Its the midfield I'm worried about, how long will it take for him to realize that the Mikel, Lampard partnership is not a steady and sustainable one. And as we saw against Madrid good teams will constantly take advantage of this, even QPR were able to for long periods in the game. This will be his undoing as the manager of Chelsea Football Club.

TBH I like Mikel, sometimes I think Lamps needs to be dropped. He is ageing and is a fantastic servant but we are still over reliant on him. I thought those days were over when AVB took over but seems not. I would like to see Mikel and Ramires often. Mikel has the balance and is brilliant at building up play while we need to see Ramires in the CM department. That is why I was supportive of Modric coming here but obviously never materialized.