Queens Park Rangers - Opposition Views

BlueLion.

It is that time again, where we look towards the Blues' next fixture. This time round, Roberto di Matteo's men are heading to Loftus Road to face local rivals Queens Park Rangers, and a handful of members from the Rangers board on Not606.com have kindly taken the time to answer a few questions for TalkChelsea.<br />

<br />

Firstly – thanks for taking part in this match preview, it is very much appreciated. A basic question first of all – who are you, and how long have you supported Queens Park Rangers?<br />

<br />

Renault Ranger: 1982.<br />

Watford_R: I went to my first match at the age of four so around 18 years.<br />

Soopermack: All my life.<br />

YappyR: Since 1983.<br />

<br />

After completely revitalising the squad over the summer, Rangers have got off to an indifferent start. Where do you think your team will end up come May?<br />

<br />

W: 14th, with 50ish points.<br />

RR: The team will finish where they deserve to, so if all goes well anywhere between 14th and 8th will be a good second season.<br />

Y: Hopefully mid-table or better.<br />

S: I think we have a realistic chance of a top 10 finish.<br />

<br />

Besides the horror-show on the opening day against Swansea, Rangers’ performances have been far better than the scorelines have suggested; particularly against Manchester City, where for long periods it looked as if you would get something out of the game. Do performances like this give you confidence you will again beat the drop, and maybe even push for a high finish?<br />

<br />

W: We were poor at Norwich and lucky to get a point but the City and Walsall (albeit in the cup) suggested the cohesion is slowly coming which is understandable given the number of signings and I expect us to beat the drop reasonably comfortably. A top 10 finish is beyond us for this season in my opinion.<br />

S: It's the squad and manager we have that makes me believe we can(and should) push on for a top 10 finish.<br />

RR: Only time will tell as it seems this year the teams are trying to play attacking football from the bottom to the top which is great for the spectator but not for the heart. QPR are a team in progress and this has shown in the results thus far. Once the team is settled and the players know each others games then I can see some fantastic results.<br />

Y: I think we can definitely stay above the drop. Top 10 is mid-table, isn't it? I think the better question would be whether we can get to top 7.<br />

<br />

The last time these two sides met, it was Fernando Torres that did all the damage. Now Chelsea’s senior striker, do you think he is good enough to lead the line, or do you feel the Blues miss Didier Drogba? <br />

<br />

RR: The last time we played at Stamford Bridge that indeed was the case but it’s yet to be seen if he will buckle under the pressure and atmosphere as other Chelsea players did last season at Loftus Road. Drogba would be missed by any club but as it seems you are going in a different tactical direction he may have not been utilised fully this season. Drogba therefore made the right decision to seek football elsewhere.<br />

S: Over the last year or two, Drogba became a player who only seemed able to turn it on for the big games. That was all he seemed bothered about, so no, they won't miss him. Torres will be better suited to how Chelsea play now, but only time will tell if he's good enough…<br />

W: He's one of the best in the league if not the world on his day. If he can get his head together, which he seems to be doing, then he's good enough to fill Drogba's sizeable boots. Plus not every centre-half will be as poor as Clint Hill was that day, as much as we love the bloke.<br />

Y: I think Chelsea do miss the type of strong player that Drogba was - but you still have an amazing striker in Torres, and you just have to re-build around him.<br />

<br />

Rangers-Chelsea matches need no billing up, but to what extent do you feel clashes between the two sides have been affected by the John Terry debacle? <br />

<br />

Y: Only a little bit. If the players let that sort of thing get in the way of their play on the field, then they're not professionals. They should just get on with the game.<br />

W: It's probably made it a bigger deal for Chelsea fans. For us, Chelsea is the derby regardless of what Teflon Terry may or may not have done/said/slept with/taken illicit money from while understandably most of your lot will care more about Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham etc. but this has raised the profile of the fixture and probably made any negative result more embarrassing for Chelsea/Terry than it otherwise would be.<br />

S: All it's done is taken away the footballing aspect of the game, so all media and others seem to be interested in is how the players are going to react with each other. I wish it could just go back to the football only.<br />

RR: It is hard not to be affected especially as what he said was indeed a racial slur and both teams are made up of different nationalities and cultures. I think the actions of the FA in being so slow to take him to task and deal with the matter has made the situation worse and has even soured many against watching the national team whilst he still plays.<br />

<br />

Do you think the FA are right to go ahead with the pre-game hand-shakes this time around?<br />

<br />

Y: They should enforce it. If anybody refuses they should be removed from the game.<br />

S: Shouldn't have them in the first place in my opinion, but they do. So they should all shake hands and get on with it.<br />

W: I don't think they're necessary, ever. It's stupid to force this as part of some sort of FA agenda when players from both sides will spend the next 90 minutes cheating.<br />

RR: Not at all at any game, as the teams are going out to do battle and have been psyched up in the dressing room then shake hands. I don’t believe in all this friendly laughing and joking in the tunnel either before kick off. At the end of the game, then yes - shake hands and say well done. <br />

<br />

Mark Hughes has spent heavily during his tenure in charge of Rangers – do you think he is the right man for the job? If not, who would you realistically prefer to see in his place?<br />

<br />

W: He'll come good. We've really not spent as much as the lazy tabloids would have you believe.<br />

RR: Only time will tell - I mean look at what Sir Alex has done at United despite being a game away from the sack. If it should happen the Pep Guardiola would be good as he seems to be able to get players playing with flair and confidence.<br />

S: He hasn't spent heavily at all, he has been very shrewd in the transfer market, and been heavily involved in building up a successful youth system. I believe it'll be a few years before we appreciate what he's done to improve us.<br />

Y: We have yet to see. If Hughes is to be replaced...... probably a foreign manager.<br />

<br />

Of the players Hughes has brought in, which one excites you the most?<br />

<br />

W: Granero. He's a major coup and I don't think any eyebrows would have been raised had City or United signed him.<br />

Y: Granero.<br />

S: If he improves and becomes the player many believe he will, then it has to be Hoilett for me.<br />

RR: In defence then M’bia is someone I am looking to shine and become a rock for us, for attack then Granero as he has undoubted quality and is intelligent.<br />

<br />

Similarly, Roberto di Matteo has spent extravagantly. Eden Hazard, Oscar and Victor Moses are amongst a swathe of new recruits – but if you could choose one Chelsea player to have in your squad, who would it be and why?<br />

<br />

Y: Oscar. He's a good attacking midfielder, can play striker if needed. Holds the ball well, nicely skilled. Like a typical Brazilian!<br />

W: Probably Mata. When he doesn't **** himself at the prospect of taking a corner in front of some horrible opposition fans shouting at him he's a class player.<br />

RR: If Essien could recapture the form and fitness of a few seasons ago then him hands down.<br />

S: Ashley Cole - best left back in the world.<br />

<br />

Julio Cesar may well be making his debut on Saturday – how do you rate the Brazilian shot-stopper?<br />

<br />

RR: Cesar is considered by many to be up there with the best in the world so we will have to see how he handles the Premiership but by all accounts looks a quality acquisition.<br />

W: He's different class to anything we've had in goal for a generation. Also, have you seen his missus? Have you?<br />

Y: I hope he's on form and is ready to play. We're such a small club compared to where he's been we'll have to see if he's enthused at all.<br />

S: Ask me at the end of the season...<br />

<br />

And finally, what are your predictions for Saturday’s game?<br />

<br />

Y: If we can hold the ball, I think we'll be OK. 1-1.<br />

W: We're taking time to gel and I don't think the defence is strong enough to keep Torres and Hazard quiet. I'll predict a 3-1 away win, several hundred middle-aged men who should know better doing throat-slitting gestures and ****** signs, a 20p piece aimed at Lampard when he takes a corner and the bar to run out of over-priced, weak lager.<br />

S: Think it might be a bit boring. I'm going to 1-0 QPR, Playing a below par Chelsea (they'll have to be for us to win at the moment).<br />

RR: Nothing would surprise me with QPR so we could play awful and win or play beautifully yet lose but I would love a home win. If it ends all square then I will not be disappointed.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

TalkChelsea staff wish to extend their gratitude towards Renault Ranger, Watford_R, Soopermack and YappyR for taking the time to answer these questions.<br />

<br />

Also - be sure to check out the Chelsea board on Not606.com - and be sure to visit our own Prediction League forum and have your say on the game!<br />

<br />

Click here to view the article

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Hughes has spent heavily during his tenure in charge of Rangers – do you think he is the right man for the job? If not, who would you realistically prefer to see in his place?

- Pep Guardiola would be good as he seems to be able to get players playing with flair and confidence.

So Pep Guardiola, the most successful manager of recent times, is going to reject all the top clubs in Europe begging for him to come manage them to join QPR? Did he not understand the term realistic?