The Rowing Thread

Melanicus

Rowing is a sport in which athletes race against each other on rivers, on lakes or on the ocean, depending upon the type of race and the discipline. The boats are propelled by the reaction forces on the oar blades as they are pushed against the water. The sport can be both recreational, focusing on learning the techniques required, and competitive where physical size and overall fitness plays a large role. It is also one of the oldest Olympic sports. In the United States, high school and College rowing is sometimes referred to as crew.

Rowing is not a sport, it is a brother-hood. You do not row for yourself, you can't row for yourself as the reason why you will pull as hard as you do and strive to win every regatta is for your crew. You are brothers in arms. When I row, it isn't for my school. I pull and continue to pull so my crew can come out on top whether it is by millimetres or by boat lengths. All the time, the effort, the sweat, the blood goes towards one goal, and that is getting on the water on race day with your crew

Are there any fans of rowing out there? I'm training it at our local rowing club and I really enjoy it... Hope I will replace Čop and Špik (Slovenian rowers) who retired at this years Olympics. :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck :). I personally don't follow rowing nor do I know anything about it except Australia were once a superpower in the sport, but like many other sports, we have declined massively over the past 5-6 years.

@We Hate Scouse

Now, see, this could have fit right into the 'General Sports Thread' I was suggesting.

Good luck :). I personally don't follow rowing nor do I know anything about it except Australia were once a superpower in the sport, but like many other sports, we have declined massively over the past 5-6 years.

@We Hate Scouse

Now, see, this could have fit right into the 'General Sports Thread' I was suggesting.

Thanks mate! :) Yeah Australia really stepped down in terms of sport, looks like only lazy bastards live there nowadays. :P