College System or Youth academy's

Chelsea?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this, College coaches are way overpaid.

I honestly believe the College System would be perfect if it didnt have popularity. Youngnplayers would focus more on development and academics, would have no pressure and absurd overpaid staff wouldnt exist. The unification of social and sport enviroment is extremely positive.

BUT THIS IS NO UTOPIA!

It's not really a job though is it? It's just like playing for the school team when you're in High School, you don't expect to be paid for it, you just go out there and hope to impress someone somewhere and hopefully get a Scholarship to College.

Then it's the same thing in College, impress to be able to get into the NFL, NBA, MLS etc.

I played high school sports and it's very different. High school sports don't generally make any money. They don't generally charge admission, build their own stadiums etc...so you are playing for free because there is no money involved. If my high school baseball or basketball teams was making $2 million dollars a year, you can bet your life we'd be wanting (and deserving) some of that money.

But they will make all the money they want in the pros. The main thing is to go to school and then have a chance to impress.

I think the College sports thing is brilliant really, and they get a lot of publicity which is great.

heres the thing not everyone wants to go to the pros. some people use it as a way to get their degress in other fields,, and yet they are still left with the difficult task of surviving by on peanuts. college kids live poor, and the ones that play your football and basketball mostly come from tough backgrounds and that scholarship aint enough to get by on.

hers my prob with the college sytem (NCAA).

the ncaa dismiss anyform of payment for the players but will gladly make hundreds of millions of dollars from college football and take milllions from the NCAA tournament which these kids play in. thats not a problem? that is highway robbery, and for the kids they need to do whatever they can to get by. which is why i like the boosters. what they are are males that pretty much "take care"of kids,, what i mean is they provide them thoosee extra dollars their parents cant. by givin them money for food, buying them new clothes, and takin them out on their boats and stuff, it a reward for their play, whats wrong with that? the boster gets paid back even if one of the kids doesnt go to thr pross becuz he has a degree and the other make the pros and there he gets his payback. but nope the NCAA steped in and created harsh rules for teams, and players caught in the act. tell me whats wrong there?

or what about the player who wins their conference, or championship and decides to sell memorablia? the NCAA prohibited that as well becuz that is school property??? its highway robbery. any attempt they make to get extra $$$ is quickly rebuffed by the NCAA which is no better than your typical organized crime gang.

thats my probelm with the college sytem. unfair to the kids.

Except how many of them make the pros? There are something like 65, 000+ players in division 1 football. There are about 1,700 players in the NFL. This means that the vast vast majority of these players never make money yet the college football industry is worth 2 billion dollars a year. How would you feel if your boss came to you and said "hey, do your work for free while I make billions and if you're in the top 2% of workers, you'll make a lot of money" would you take it?. (and even in the NFL, it's unfair, the average players makes a million dollars in their career and shortens their life expectancy by about 25 years. What a wonderful opportunity to make it!) The system is completely skewed.

The system is not completely skewed just because they don't pay the players. There are talks in some divisions to start paying these players eventually. The main hurtle is the concept of paying students but that will eventually disappear and the players will get paid.

but look at it from this perspective; each school has over 100 football players. Of that 100 only about 40 play more than 3 plays a game. so over 60 players get a free ride throw college (around $20,000). paying college kids is fair but it might ruin the atmosphere of college football/basketball. The arrogance might go over the roof, the players would become paid professionals rather than student athletes.

maybe the the athletes can get paid after graduation.

The system is not completely skewed just because they don't pay the players. There are talks in some divisions to start paying these players eventually. The main hurtle is the concept of paying students but that will eventually disappear and the players will get paid.

but look at it from this perspective; each school has over 100 football players. Of that 100 only about 40 play more than 3 plays a game. so over 60 players get a free ride throw college (around $20,000). paying college kids is fair but it might ruin the atmosphere of college football/basketball. The arrogance might go over the roof, the players would become paid professionals rather than student athletes.

maybe the the athletes can get paid after graduation.

This is what the system has created. The idea that paying people for doing work would somehow ruin the atmosphere or the purity of the sport. Yes, over 60 players get scholarships, some full, some partial but it's nothing. These programs are making tens of millions of dollars each year. Student athletes in universities are asked to do what nobody else in the world is asked to do-be the attraction and make billions for your employers and get nothing in return. The university can sell your shirt and makes money off it. If you try to sell your own shirt, you'll get fined ans suspended. It's insane.

This is what the system has created. The idea that paying people for doing work would somehow ruin the atmosphere or the purity of the sport. Yes, over 60 players get scholarships, some full, some partial but it's nothing. These programs are making tens of millions of dollars each year. Student athletes in universities are asked to do what nobody else in the world is asked to do-be the attraction and make billions for your employers and get nothing in return. The university can sell your shirt and makes money off it. If you try to sell your own shirt, you'll get fined ans suspended. It's insane.

It will.

if the players were to get paid it would have to come from the NCAA and not the schools.the big schools can afford to pay the players but not the small schools. I would also have to be a flat rate because that would destroy the recruiting process.

getting back on topic,

Its not like the kids have no other choice, they know what they sign up for. they can chose to join a lower league and get paid if they want but, like unpaid interns, know they are making a sacrifice for their long term futures.

It will.

if the players were to get paid it would have to come from the NCAA and not the schools.the big schools can afford to pay the players but not the small schools. I would also have to be a flat rate because that would destroy the recruiting process.

getting back on topic,

Its not like the kids have no other choice, they know what they sign up for. they can chose to join a lower league and get paid if they want but, like unpaid interns, know they are making a sacrifice for their long term futures.

And unpaid internships are horribly unfair as well. (and should be illegal) Companies get free work instead of paying someone a fair wage to do it. All they do is allow rich kids whose parents can afford to pay their rent better opportunities. (as if they needed that extra boost anyway).

As for the schools paying players being unfair, the system is already unfair. The big schools already always win. Every team that won the National Championship in the past 20 years except one were in the top 25 teams in spending (the one that missed was ranked 26th) The system is already unfair so there is no need to try to create a system that creates a balance. http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2012/08/29/in-college-football-money-buys-champions.html

And unpaid internships are horribly unfair as well. (and should be illegal) Companies get free work instead of paying someone a fair wage to do it. All they do is allow rich kids whose parents can afford to pay their rent better opportunities. (as if they needed that extra boost anyway).

As for the schools paying players being unfair, the system is already unfair. The big schools already always win. Every team that won the National Championship in the past 20 years except one were in the top 25 teams in spending (the one that missed was ranked 26th) The system is already unfair so there is no need to try to create a system that creates a balance. http://www.bizjourna...-champions.html

the only unfair part is the kids not being paid. Everything else seems natural to me. The only sport I follow where the big guys don't always win is the NFL, where the revenue is split remarkable well. College sports have divisions also where revenue is split but I'm not sure how that works.

Creating a balance in sports is not something that's an issue in college, the national championship is something only about 15 schools care about. All the other schools just wanna make it into a bowl game. If the UEFA wanted to be more balance - although its pretty good the way it is - a salary cap and a college system would be the way to go. However. I'm not suggesting UEFA change its way of developing youth because its not broken right now. But FIFA fair play seems unfair to my understanding and the only way to keep things balanced is through a draft system. unfortunately establishing something like this would cost billions and would mean Chelsea developed Cobham for nothing!