College System or Youth academy's

Chelsea?

No the best players used to be allowed to go from finishing high school straight into the NBA (Lebron, Kobe, etc) but a couple of years ago they made a regulation of at least one year of college before entering the draft. The logic behind it is sound but it doesn't really solve any problems because colleges will recruit the best players regardless of academic aptitude.

But to these ghetto residents, they will know around the time they're 13-14 at most that they have huge potential and that they will make it into the big leagues. At that point they can forget about furthering themselves academically, all they have to do is turn up to school every day, avoid getting expelled and hey presto, they've completed high school. It doesn't matter if they completed it with a GPA of 0.1, they'll be accepted by the college on a sports scholarship or if they're supremely talented they'll do a Kobe.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But to these ghetto residents, they will know around the time they're 13-14 at most that they have huge potential and that they will make it into the big leagues. At that point they can forget about furthering themselves academically, all they have to do is turn up to school every day, avoid getting expelled and hey presto, they've completed high school. It doesn't matter if they completed it with a GPA of 0.1, they'll be accepted by the college on a sports scholarship or if they're supremely talented they'll do a Kobe.

Essentially, kinda...yeah. The 'ghetto resident' thing is mostly just a stereotype, honestly. But certainly athletics are given presidence over academics.

This argument is pretty pointless...the 'european' youth football system is far superior on all levels

Essentially, kinda...yeah. The 'ghetto resident' thing is mostly just a stereotype, honestly. But certainly athletics are given presidence over academics.

This argument is pretty pointless...the 'european' youth football system is far superior on all levels

It may be a stereotype but I think it would affect pretty much everyone. When you know you're in a position where you'll be set for life without having to bother with education.. who among us would still care about education?

America is different then the rest of the world. Our athletes can't get paid until they becone a professional. They can't become a professional until they get drafted. It is highly unlikely that they will get drafted unless they go to college. Unless another country starts producing the world class basketball/football players it will continue that way. The college system wouldn't work because footballers come from many nations, and those nations have been footballing for a very long time.

Yeah he was the US media's poster boy for about a week when he had a reasonable run of form. Mainly because he graduated college when most of the NBA didn't even graduate high school

or maybe because he was Asian, a HARVARD graduate, and played in the biggest basketball market in the country

from what people have been saying on here, they both have similar effects. I'm sure if one of our youth guys had a 1.0 GPA that wouldn't stop us from playing him.

That's also why we aren't good at footyball. Youth in Europe join clubs, like Chelsea who have state of the art equipment, and staff, who train these players supremely well. The compitition is fierce, but there are many clubs around the world with youth teams so they produce top talent. Our youth play college soccer which isn't that competitive and soccer is low on the prioty list of all colleges (Basketball and Football are just so much more popular.)

from what people have been saying on here, they both have similar effects. I'm sure if one of our youth guys had a 1.0 GPA that wouldn't stop us from playing him.

To address your statement: again, I agree...but I wasn't arguing over that, I was mostly just qualifying what Cap had to say.

Saying who would care about education if you were given a free ride through your sporting talents is hardly fair. people still have to atleast pass their studies. even if thats all they do, you could argue that their sport is their education as it will be their career so its improtant for them to focus on that more.

and also at university in England, you get scholarships and accepted in to uni if you are really good at sport and not that academic, but if you dont pass your courses you are out. i went to uni with a guy who was really good at Judo, and he got his tuition free (which i was paying thousands of pounds for) and he failed his first year. never saw him again because he was kicked out.

earlier someone was talking about NFL players being arrogant with their celebrations and stuff. i honestly believe, without stereotyping, its down to 2 things: 1. American people are very eccentric. whenever i've been there the people are very open and friendly and not afraid to talk. and 2. i think its a state of mind. NFL players need the agression, and the power. those sprints and tackles really get the testotsterone going and that mix makes that feeling of a touchdown more than just some points hence the WOOO's. Everyone sportsman needs that arrogance.

the systems arent really all that different when you look at it. youth acadamies sign up the best youth from all around europe. colleges recruit all the best youth they can from around the states. both still have to go through education by law. I just think in Europe, not as many people are involved, in the USA its on a huge stage so the atmosphere can really help development. and the European possibly have better methods of training as they arent based entirely on trying to generate revenue for every game. they both have their pros and cons. but in terms of football (soccer), you've got to say Europe have taken the lead in terms of the quality produced over the USA...

Because college sports are immoral. It's a system where the athletes are not allowed to be paid and make tens of millions for other people.

But they will make all the money they want in the pros. The main thing is to go to school and then have a chance to impress.

I think the College sports thing is brilliant really, and they get a lot of publicity which is great.

But they will make all the money they want in the pros. The main thing is to go to school and then have a chance to impress.

I think the College sports thing is brilliant really, and they get a lot of publicity which is great.

Except how many of them make the pros? There are something like 65, 000+ players in division 1 football. There are about 1,700 players in the NFL. This means that the vast vast majority of these players never make money yet the college football industry is worth 2 billion dollars a year. How would you feel if your boss came to you and said "hey, do your work for free while I make billions and if you're in the top 2% of workers, you'll make a lot of money" would you take it?. (and even in the NFL, it's unfair, the average players makes a million dollars in their career and shortens their life expectancy by about 25 years. What a wonderful opportunity to make it!) The system is completely skewed.

How would you feel if your boss came to you and said "hey, do your work for free while I make billions and if you're in the top 2% of workers, you'll make a lot of money" would you take it?

It's not really a job though is it? It's just like playing for the school team when you're in High School, you don't expect to be paid for it, you just go out there and hope to impress someone somewhere and hopefully get a Scholarship to College.

Then it's the same thing in College, impress to be able to get into the NFL, NBA, MLS etc.

Not if you are a biology professor making 100k/year with no budget for research and your coach colleage makes 2-3m/year.