College System or Youth academy's

Chelsea?

Always wondered why this seems nonexistent in Europe. Here in USA college sports earn more ( I think) than the pros! That's like saying Chelsea B earns billion of revenue. College sports also create a very competitive league in the pros. So why hasn't this same idea worked in Europe?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know very little about the system. but i do like it. and it increases the chances of real talent to develop. unfortunately i think its down to the British governement... im guessing setting up such sporting stages and leagues costs a lot of money, and even though we do have private schools, they probably do not have the money for it and are sparse in numbers. - just a guess.

having said that, i would expect the USA to be one of the greatest soccer teams in the world due to their population and college drafting... so maybe it isnt all that good ;)

it does confuse me though. like in NFL when all the college guys get drafted in to teams. i dont understand how that all works.

everythign i said may be soooo wrong. its all guess work if im honest!

i know very little about the system. but i do like it. and it increases the chances of real talent to develop. unfortunately i think its down to the British governement... im guessing setting up such sporting stages and leagues costs a lot of money, and even though we do have private schools, they probably do not have the money for it and are sparse in numbers. - just a guess.

having said that, i would expect the USA to be one of the greatest soccer teams in the world due to their population and college drafting... so maybe it isnt all that good ;)

it does confuse me though. like in NFL when all the college guys get drafted in to teams. i dont understand how that all works.

everythign i said may be soooo wrong. its all guess work if im honest!

I assume the US isn't that good cause all the good athletes chose to play different sports early on in life.

Perhaps going through tertiary education in combination with training would help a lot of footballers. All youth academies have done are create arrogant, moronic wankers. At least they'll gain some perspective while studying in college.

Most youth academies require that you attend a college course in the UK also. A couple of my friends that went through youth teams were required to attend a course regularly. Im not so sure American footballers are any better and less arrogant than English ones. From what I gather in fact they are a lot worse in many cases.

Most youth academies require that you attend a college course in the UK also. A couple of my friends that went through youth teams were required to attend a course regularly. Im not so sure American footballers are any better and less arrogant than English ones. From what I gather in fact they are a lot worse in many cases.

No, but you get cases like that Lin bloke in the NBA who was a Harvard drop-out.

No, but you get cases like that Lin bloke in the NBA who was a Harvard drop-out.

I was talking more of American football players, not really basketball players. On the few occasions that the NFL has been on English television, the players have come across as really arrogant. Their celebrations are way over the top and would be heavily criticised if footballers were to do the same, as is the constant slating of opponents. Slating can be amusing in some cases, for example in cricket i love the banter between the teams during the Ashes, but the American players seem to be do it to an extent that it becomes distasteful.

I was talking more of American football players, not really basketball players. On the few occasions that the NFL has been on English television, the players have come across as really arrogant. Their celebrations are way over the top and would be heavily criticised if footballers were to do the same, as is the constant slating of opponents. Slating can be amusing in some cases, for example in cricket i love the banter between the teams during the Ashes, but the American players seem to be do it to an extent that it becomes distasteful.

no they don't. The celebrations are supposed to be fun and if a football player says anything negative about the other team, its news for the entire week. Even If they were, It's not cause of the college sporting system.

no they don't. The celebrations are supposed to be fun and if a football player says anything negative about the other team, its news for the entire week. Even If they were, It's not cause of the college sporting system.

Its probably just portrayed badly over here then. Obviously its not the fault of the sporting system, I was just trying to argue that the English system is not unique in producing arrogant, over-priviledged stars.

Jeremy Lin graduate Harvard with a 3.1 GPA http://www.ocregiste...a-american.html

EDIT: But to add to the debate, 'soccer' is extremely under-funded at a vast majority of schools that have large endowments. College football (american) and basketball draw huge TV deals and ticket/merchandise sales. We're talking like large as, if not larger than professional teams.

Plus, a huge amount of legislation was passed in the 60s to balance out collegiate athletics in the states (mainly men/women balance). At the end of the day, the college is going to spend its entire share of 'mens' funds on development of a football or basketball team (the economically productive option) and leave most of the other men's sports grossly under-funded -- note that the funding is balanced by gender and not by sport.

So basically, most professional football league clubs in england and top flight teams through europe will have funding and resources that a mere handful of US colleges do.

It just doesnt matter!

In USA , the professional institutions dont take part in the development of their young players, so the Universities decided to do that job. In this system, The study and sport become unified, they are altogether in the same enviroment. Afterwords it became immensely lucrative and corrupt, but that is a whole other discussion...

In Europe, SA and Asia; the professional sport institution that provides the development of young players. They usually live in their facilities, have to maintain good grades (sometimes have to go to specific schools that are partners with the clubs), have to visit their families regularly, etc.

The two systems exist because of ONE huge difference.

In American Sports, the players can not choose the teams they go. That is why there are drafts, the teams choose the players and they simply accept it (of course there are rules and exceptions). They dont have fees, their trade and signing rules are more restrict (one of the main reasons they dont have gigantic debts) and the players dont have much option, although the players that are chosen first have guaranteed the highest wages.

In the Rest of the World, the players are like material/possession of the clubs, they have to buy it from one another. This makes it impossible to have drafts for a 20-23 year old player (imagine Chelsea, ManCity and RM battling for Luck or RG3). It wouldnt work, so instead to let Universities take the risk to accept possible future stars, the clubs do it. It makes the fight for players less intense, since they are gambling with youngsters.

With that scenario in mind, it makes sense why European Clubs have youth teams and USA Franchises draft from Universities. At a very, very superficial look, makes no difference, players in both systems are well involved with sports, socail and academic responsabilities.

Yeah he was the US media's poster boy for about a week when he had a reasonable run of form. Mainly because he graduated college when most of the NBA didn't even graduate high school

This is entering 'RACIST' territory here (apologies if it's interpreted as such), but surely the NBA's lack of high school completion is because of the vast amount of ghetto Blacks/Latino's in the sport that go straight from the street to college?

This is entering 'RACIST' territory here (apologies if it's interpreted as such), but surely the NBA's lack of high school completion is because of the vast amount of ghetto Blacks/Latino's in the sport that go straight from the street to college?

No the best players used to be allowed to go from finishing high school straight into the NBA (Lebron, Kobe, etc) but a couple of years ago they made a regulation of at least one year of college before entering the draft. The logic behind it is sound but it doesn't really solve any problems because colleges will recruit the best players regardless of academic aptitude.