Will Meireles be missed?

Wxgba

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered how long a Hipster would last in a country like Turkey...

Raul-Meireles-wife-tattoos-dress-chav-fur-spectacles-glasses-wife-WAG-500x907.jpg

As a player I won't miss him, but I will miss his cover for the Starting XI. WIthout him [and Essien for that matter] the team looks a tad hollow.

After 10min looking at the brunette I realised Raul was in the photo! :)

true that but the squad is never big enough. cover like meireles wouldn't hurt. don't see the point in selling. we had space in the squad

I can understand the sale. Rather than needing to appease four non-regular starters (Romeu, Merieles, Essien, Oscar) we only need to appease the two. This gives these two young players extra game time to develop into the stars many reckon they will become and surely already are to an extent.

As a player I won't miss him, but I will miss his cover for the Starting XI. WIthout him [and Essien for that matter] the team looks a tad hollow.

If we get a group of injuries in the same area now, we could struggle. Say if both Ramires and Mikel were to be injured (not unrealistic) we would have only Lampard, Romeu and perhaps Oscar to cover in the double pivot. If one or more of these is not performing we won't have anyone to replace them with, furthermore we will be walking on egg shells to try and prevent further injuries, which could prevent the full commitment of the players.

I can understand the sale. Rather than needing to appease four non-regular starters (Romeu, Merieles, Essien, Oscar) we only need to appease the two. This gives these two young players extra game time to develop into the stars many reckon they will become and surely already are to an extent.

selling both of them is a risk because we need good(ish) squad players. Meireles did a good job against Newcastle and we could have used him in the CL or like last year as a 3rd choice. agree withthe romeu and oscar getting a chance part but it is as Spike put it, the squad looks a tad hollow now

selling both of them is a risk because we need good(ish) squad players. Meireles did a good job against Newcastle and we could have used him in the CL or like last year as a 3rd choice. agree withthe romeu and oscar getting a chance part but it is as Spike put it, the squad looks a tad hollow now

Yeah maybe a bit, but if it aids in the progression of the two I've mentioned then I'm all for it. Im just worried in case we pick up a few injuries in that area though, then we could be really stretched.

Yeah maybe a bit, but if it aids in the progression of the two I've mentioned then I'm all for it. Im just worried in case we pick up a few injuries in that area though, then we could be really stretched.

Which is why some of us were really against the decision to sell Meireles or loan Essien out. Should have kept at least one of them but we didn't. 1-2 injuries or if they're struggling for form etc, we won't have an experience head that can come in and do the necessary job for us. So, just gotta hope nothing happens in regards to that till January at least. Otherwise, we are screwed!

Which is why some of us were really against the decision to sell Meireles or loan Essien out. Should have kept at least one of them but we didn't. 1-2 injuries or if they're struggling for form etc, we won't have an experience head that can come in and do the necessary job for us. So, just gotta hope nothing happens in regards to that till January at least. Otherwise, we are screwed!

I suppose it is an issue not having any experienced cover, but this was a step that was going to need to happen at some point and could benefit the club. Also, if we do bring in a player, I doubt it would be an experienced player, but more of a talented younger player. That seems to be our transfer method as of late.

I suppose it is an issue not having any experienced cover, but this was a step that was going to need to happen at some point and could benefit the club. Also, if we do bring in a player, I doubt it would be an experienced player, but more of a talented younger player. That seems to be our transfer method as of late.

Yes but we are leaving ourselves short in terms of squad depth in that midfield area.

Yes but we are leaving ourselves short in terms of squad depth in that midfield area.

Lack of depth will only be an issue if we pick up an injury or someone is not performing. At the same time however, selling and loaning Merieles and Essien may allow some fringe players to progress into first team regulars. I think it is a justified gamble. Don't forget, we still have Malouda. :getin:

Lack of depth will only be an issue if we pick up an injury or someone is not performing. At the same time however, selling and loaning Merieles and Essien may allow some fringe players to progress into first team regulars. I think it is a justified gamble.

Justified gamble? I'm not sure. Doubt many of the fringe players would start anyway except maybe Oscar and Romeu. And they may have even start more games than Essien and/or Meireles had they stayed anyway. It may be good that they are likely to get chances now but the squad depth is still a concern to me.

Don't forget, we still have Malouda. :getin:

RDM has confirmed he is training with the U21s now and barring any major crisis to the first team, I can't ever see him playing in it again. Good news for the haters I guess.