Will Meireles be missed?

Wxgba

The more appropriate question is; Will Meireles+Essien be missed...If we had only given up on one of the two then it wouldn't have made too much of a difference...But now the squad is certainly lacking depth, considering the number of games to played, and the African cup of Nations which should take away our current first choice DM for a month

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We won't realize what we're missing until we are struck by an injury or two.

If we're very lucky, then maybe we can survive the season without any major injuries and maybe Lampard & Mikel could play at their absolute best for the whole season but I believe that only happens in Football Manager when you load the game again when something goes wrong. :rolleyes:

No

I don;t think we'll miss him because he never really looked good in that DM position. I understand liverpool played him as a DM, then pushed him to AMC. we seemed to play him in either DM or AMC and he never really consistently looked comfortable in them. im not even sure HE knew his best position! so technically we just lose another player competing for that double pivot role that isnt entirely comfortable with it like everyone else competing for it.

he was too in consistent. as is lampard these days. More faith in Oriol would be nice. in all the games i saw him in he was pretty strong there. had the odd bad game, but doesnt everyone? If the 4-2-3-1 is going to be continued to play, Mikel and Oriol should be the 1st choice.

theres a lot of talk of us now changing to a 4-3-3 which i personally feel could be our strongest formation in terms of attacking. Moses would love it. Sturridge would be affective, even if he doesnt love it. Mata/Marin/Hazard can also play wings. the only problem with the 4-3-3 there is no definite AMC role which is arguebly the best role for Mata, Hazard and Oscar...

ooooh its a tough one, Im pretty sure RDM will do the right thing though. I hope.

another thing, David Luiz. We have all thought about luiz playing as DM, and in all our minds we all think it would be a good move, but AVB and RDM have both not tried it, and they MUST have thought about it and they both haven't tried it, so there must be a good reason for it. but id imagine if we were desperate, that would be tried out.

He would be missed if we plan to just play Lampard and Mikel in midfield, if we plan to actually play Ramires in his natural position and also give Oscar and Romeu time in the first 11 I don't think we would miss him that much.

Meireles was our "Ballack" last season. True, a more flawed version of him, but nonetheless. Ballack was also often labelled a flop or not good enough, but everybody realized his worth after he'd gone. He was our midfield workhorse who didn't seem to have any objections to being a stand-in squad player, and to be honest, you can't find many better squad players than him. He is the type of guy you want to throw in to harrass the opposition and cover more miles.

We will miss him once we realize that we have to play our fatigued starters in less important Capital One Cup games, when we lack options, when Lampard realizes he has no more competition, or when injuries screw us over.

• 2 weeks later...

wouldn't have sold both Meireles AND Essien if you'd ask me.

It's all about trusting the youngsters we have. Now instead of Meireles and Essien being used for rotation, we'll get Oscar and Oriol. I don't get the over reaction on here about this matter, we've been saying that we should drop our 'less effective' senior players for youngsters for years now.

It's all about trusting the youngsters we have. Now instead of Meireles and Essien being used for rotation, we'll get Oscar and Oriol. I don't get the over reaction on here about this matter, we've been saying that we should drop our 'less effective' senior players for youngsters for years now.

Yeah but it's not just that. Letting BOTH Meireles & Essien go leaves us a bit short in midfield in terms of depth. Say IF Oscar and/or Romeu are having a bit of tough time and/or struggling, we will not have many other players to call upon, and players that have experience.