Di Matteo - Spot On

Strike

The di Matteo era got off to the perfect start with 3 wins out of 3 in the first week. A routine 2-0 win away at Wigan on the opening day was followed by a see-saw 4-2 win at home to Reading and the week ended with another 2-0 against European hopefuls Newcastle United. Eden Hazard may have been the name on everybody’s lips but manager Roberto di Matteo deserves credit for his tactical intuition through out the first week of the new season. He has had to handle sky-high expectations but from what we've seen so far, he seems more than capable of handling them

1. Ryan Bertrand’s inclusion may not have been popular but he did his job well in both the games he started. Away at Wigan on the opening day, he lined up in front of Cole at Left-Mid and helped Cole nullify the threat of Victor Moses. He never really influenced the game under Ryan’s watch apart from a speculative shot from distance.

Then in the game at home to Newcastle, Bertrand was back in the team in place of Ramires, this time to handle Hatem Ben Arfa. Bertrand and Cole dealt with Ben Arfa giving him little room to manipulate with. He even showed that he is capable of attacking with neat runs from the left side, one of which ended with a flashing left foot drive that brought out a fine save from Tim Krul. di Matteo deserves credit for appreciating the need for balance in the team and not giving into the popular opinion of going with Oscar Mata and Hazard behind Torres.

2. Ringing in the changes - The second game was a bit tricky for di Matteo as he found the team 2-1 down at half-time despite playing rather well in the first half. His changes – Oscar for Ramires and Sturridge for Mikel had confidence written all over it. It compromised the defense but helped Chelsea put sustained pressure on Reading helping us take the lead eventually.

3. Rotating Lampard – This was one decision that surprised me. After all, Lampard was the player mentioned whenever people talked about AVB’s falling out at Chelsea. Add to that the fact that Lampard was a first choice starter under di Matteo at the back end of last season. While it remains to be seen whether Lampard will be confined to the bench often this season, di matteo's move to rest him against last weekend was a bold one.Lampard is still a good player but his mobility and stamina have naturally deteriorated with age. He is 34 now and is at the twilight of his career. He should no longer be a definite first choice starter for the club. RDM hinted at a “new role” for Lampard this season and I think that he is prepared to rotate him with the other midfielders giving us more options to explore. Raul Meireles came in for Lampard last weekend and did a tidy job in the middle. Alongside Mikel, he helped us win the midfield battle against Newcastle, laying the platform for the attackers to exploit. There are quite a few options in Oriol Romeu, Michael Essien and even Oscar who could be used in midfield depending on the situation.

Frank will have a little bit of a different role but we still want him to do what he does best in trying to go forward with his timing of arrival in the box and scoring goals. We have a lot of competition in midfield, which is very good, but also a lot of games and competitions to play, so there will be time for everybody

4. Fernando Torres is back. Well atleast he’s putting the ball in the net more often now and he has to thank Juan Mata and Eden Hazard behind him for that. di Matteo has incorporated the two of them really well, distributing the role of orchestrator between them. Mata and Hazard as the playmakers, constantly switching position will be a handful for any defence and with Torres slowly gaining his confidence back, our attack actually looks devastating this time around.

5. The overall game has vastly improved. Juan Mata was missing in pre-season and I think that was the difference between tepid displays then and the improvement now. We did sit deep and counter at times against Wigan but the subsequent home games have given a lot of encouragement that there is a definitive shift in the style of play. We pressed the opposition onto the back foot and controlled the play, probing around defences looking for the killer final pass. The players are making runs and freeing up space for them to receive the ball. I think, over time, we can perfect this style of play and stamp our authority on games this season. The defensive shape too looked solid against Newcastle after the slip-ups against Reading in mid-week

This may only be the start but di Matteo has certainly changed the mood around the club. The goals are flowing, the football is improving and Stamford Bridge has a new hero who is tearing into defences every week.

Will you be doing some football betting this season? Have you decided where you are going to make your online bets at? Make sure you come and check out the latest betting odds at bwin today!

Click here to view the article

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read.

Regarding Lampard, the problem with him and AVB wasn't about dropping the former to the bench but more because AVB did not communicate with him or any other players for that matter. RDM is currently doing what AVB failed to do, which is talk to the players and explain to them when making a decisions in terms of putting them on the bench or using them in a specific role in the team etc. And besides, Lampard have played 3 games in 1 week prior to the Newcastle game and with him being 34 already, I'm sure he would understand if he is to be rested and rotated once in awhile.

Edited by BluesMaster

Good read.

Regarding Lampard, the problem with him and AVB wasn't about dropping the former to the bench but more because AVB did not communicate with him or any other players for that matter. RDM is currently doing what AVB failed to do, which is talk to the players and explain to them when making a decisions in terms of putting them on the bench or using them in a specific role in the team etc. And besides, Lampard have played 3 games in 1 week prior to the Newcastle game and with him being 34 already, I'm sure he would understand to be rested and rotated once in awhile.

true. too early to say but i think he will rotate the players in the pivot more than the other positions. he has got enough options and as u pointed out, lampard will understand if di matteo communicates with him.

Well written article!

I wonder though what will happen with Marin, now that we have had such a good start to the season, and with most players close to cementing their place in the starting 11.

In pre season, the Big talking point for everyone was how Marin has been a revelation and will definitely command a starting spot come the start of the season.

I also agreed and had the same opinion, that Marin, while most thought before preseason, would be a substitute, started looking like he would be in the starting lineup after the new dimension and skill he brought to the team.

Now, we also have Oscar Moses and Sturridge competing for those midfield positions.

While the season has had a great start, i think RDM will have alot of players to keep happy.....

We all know he is a good man manager, but i think this will be his true test, keeping them happy rather than content.

Hazard and mata will definitely occupy 2 Offensive midfield places almost every game, so that leaves only 1 spot for alot of talented players...

Good start by RDM.... this could possibly be his breakthrough year as a manager.

Well written article!

I wonder though what will happen with Marin, now that we have had such a good start to the season, and with most players close to cementing their place in the starting 11.

In pre season, the Big talking point for everyone was how Marin has been a revelation and will definitely command a starting spot come the start of the season.

I also agreed and had the same opinion, that Marin, while most thought before preseason, would be a substitute, started looking like he would be in the starting lineup after the new dimension and skill he brought to the team.

Now, we also have Oscar Moses and Sturridge competing for those midfield positions.

While the season has had a great start, i think RDM will have alot of players to keep happy.....

We all know he is a good man manager, but i think this will be his true test, keeping them happy rather than content.

Hazard and mata will definitely occupy 2 Offensive midfield places almost every game, so that leaves only 1 spot for alot of talented players...

Good start by RDM.... this could possibly be his breakthrough year as a manager.

i think marin will be rotated. maybe the spark player that di matteo will look to if the team can't breakdown a stubborn defence