Victor Moses

Superblue

MVG is having a great pre season and we are all celebrating. Moses is doing same and some dumb asses are saying its just a pre season.. Funny opinions and dumb arguements!

It sometimes seems some people want to see some of our players fail

now first thing first - u made a statement saying moses dint contribute ANYTHING to our CL. i called u out on that, because in my opinion the only good moment for chelsea in that CL campaign was moses header (apart from oscar's goal but that dint last long because we dropped 2 points that day). for me the 2 main matches which cost us the CL were shakhtar and juve away fixtures. in the shakhtar game, moses was not even a part of our bench, and against juve we were 2-0 down by the time moses came in the pitch. how he could have impacted our CL campaign in any more ways is beyond me. again i stress on the point that moses was a SQUAD BUY. someone to fill in the space in league cup, fa cup, matches and to give rest to first team players before big CL matches. but unfortunately, the "big matches" for us were the PL games so as to finish 4th and moses had to do the job in europa league and other competitions. which he did without a doubt.

also i dont understand how moses dint score? or dint assist. HE WAS PRE-DOMINANTLY PLAYED IN EVERY FA CUP, EUROPA LEAGUE match so that atleast one of the mazacar could get a rest for the league game.

moses played in

fa cup - 4+1 = 5

league cup = 3

europa league = 5+1= 6

that is 14 appearances in all in which he had 8 goals and 3 assists.

how is that bad for a squad player? he played his part in our last season. and he played it well. he was not superb but neither was he bad. i mean y are we even having this discussion when there were 2 players in our squad (marin and benayoun) who literally dint do us ANY GOOD. he had a decent first season with chelsea and if he can reciprocate the same, i for one will be very happy.

If he can repeat the same sort of year, he won't play at all. You think Mourinho will accept a player who doesn't contribute anything when there's so much competition? Moses hasn't scored a goal in 19 Premier League appearances. He had a poor season. Flat out. I don't see how you can even argue that. He scored against Basel, Rubin, Boro, Southampton, Swansea, Leeds, Shakhtar and, Wolves and you want to call that a successful 50 game season? Moses didn't score well, didn't pass well, lost the ball easily, wasn't good in the air, and didn't defend particularly well. What exactly makes his season a success? Some goals against poor sides? Lots of players can score against poor sides You pay 8M pounds for someone because they can help you win games that you need to win, to win the managers' trust to be able to start regularly, not run them out against Boro and Leeds or in the Carling Cup to give your key players a rest. You could use youth players just as well for that. If you can't see a poor season when it's staring you in the face, you simply never will. 1 goal and 1 assist in 23 league games, 12 starts with an 81.9% passing rate and mediocre defense while playing almost exclusively against the worst competition and you're trying to claim that his season was fine? Seriously?. Jesus Christ, it's like if any player is under 23, 24 years old, he's automatically amazing no matter what. It's like every minor thing they do becomes crucial to the team. Forget the 95% of league games he contributed little to nothing, he scored in the Carling Cup so his season was a success!. Kalou was a better player for us every year he played and he got roasted on here. Seriously, the youth fetish on message boards is almost unbearable.

@yuval-the reason why "all competitions" is almost useless is because teams can play so many different sorts of opponents that it skews things massively. All competitions can be games against Juventus, City, , and United or a bunch of matches against Brentford, Nordsjaelland, and Leeds. Chelsea played an almost unprecedented number of games against poor teams last season (long runs in both domestic cups including replays and the Europa League did that) so a number of players were able to put up stats against teams like Wolves or Brentford, Kazan, etc...(Look at who Torres got his goals against). Moses played against weaker opposition than any of our regulars. If you look at say Chelsea's hardest 10-15 games, he didn't start any of them, which is why his "all competition stats" look half-decent.

@cripji-nobody should be celebrating anybody having a great pre-season or mourning someone having a bad one. it is 100% utterly meaningless. Once again, Marin was our best player last pre-season. I just want our players to stay healthy and get match fitness .I'd take losing every game and a healthy squad over winning every game and losing one player to injury.

@blue armour-He's not indispensable at all. He's our #6 attacking midfielder. He wasn't indispensable last season, he basically started no important games-and we've added two players ahead of him. Also, he's not an out and out winger at all. If he were, I'd be much higher on him because he'd be giving us something different. He doesn't cross the ball enough (4 successful crosses all last season) and like Hazard, Schurrle, or Mata (when he plays on the wings) he likes to cut inside.

Sighs Moses isnt Messi ...but neither is he a Mess ,, I believe he is a useful squad player who offers options some of the more

technical players may not ... FFS lets stop this bashing of our players ... If they arent good enough lets leave it to Jose to sort out ,

If he can repeat the same sort of year, he won't play at all. You think Mourinho will accept a player who doesn't contribute anything when there's so much competition? Moses hasn't scored a goal in 19 Premier League appearances. He had a poor season. Flat out. I don't see how you can even argue that. He scored against Basel, Rubin, Boro, Southampton, Swansea, Leeds, Shakhtar and, Wolves and you want to call that a successful 50 game season? Moses didn't score well, didn't pass well, lost the ball easily, wasn't good in the air, and didn't defend particularly well. What exactly makes his season a success? Some goals against poor sides? Lots of players can score against poor sides You pay 8M pounds for someone because they can help you win games that you need to win, to win the managers' trust to be able to start regularly, not run them out against Boro and Leeds or in the Carling Cup to give your key players a rest. You could use youth players just as well for that. If you can't see a poor season when it's staring you in the face, you simply never will. 1 goal and 1 assist in 23 league games, 12 starts with an 81.9% passing rate and mediocre defense while playing almost exclusively against the worst competition and you're trying to claim that his season was fine? Seriously?. Jesus Christ, it's like if any player is under 23, 24 years old, he's automatically amazing no matter what. It's like every minor thing they do becomes crucial to the team. Forget the 95% of league games he contributed little to nothing, he scored in the Carling Cup so his season was a success!. Kalou was a better player for us every year he played and he got roasted on here. Seriously, the youth fetish on message boards is almost unbearable.

what makes u say moses dint pass well? or dint defend well? really that is just insane. and for the last time (for the thing in bold), moses was brought to be a squad player.due u by any chance get the concept of a squad player. the role of a squad player??? he is brought to play against poor sides in cup games and for rotation. he does not earn 200kpounds/week. he did what he is paid to do. and yes moses was a success last season because he was one of our most influential player in the only cup we win last year.

the concept of squad player is simply lost on a few people. i think u should watch our previous seasons and see what exactly players like swp, duff did. kalou was a good squad player too and i for one always said that. but moses is a BETTER WINGER. he is far more pacy, can go past defenders, better passing, better hold up but kalou had a special knack for scoring goals which is something very valuable. and when the hell did i once say anything about him being good just because he is under 23. i dont care. he had a good season. he did what he was paid to do. u dont expect players like cleverly and anderson to win the PL for u. they have to do their job in a few matches but it is carrick who has to be the main man. similarly for moses.

and please stop using the same stats of 1 goal and 1 assist in 12 starts and 11 appearances please. its getting boring. also "You pay 8M pounds for someone because they can help you win games that you need to win" if this is the case then please tell me what the results were in those 12 starts and 11 appearances that moses made rather than saying he just scored 1 and got 1 assist. also the way u use stats, i am sure u ll admit that mikel was a huge success last season because i read in the mikel thread that he had a better passing %, forward passes%, interceptions, and blah blah blah than rambo, lamps, luiz and romeu.

Some players you can talk about on forums like this one, some you just stick to chatting about in pubs. Moses is one of those players - an honest, hard-working player who seems to be putting in shifts but not coming up with the stats or percentages some people need to support a player.

I'll just say well done for a good performance young man and let people tell you how shit you are by air mail.

@yuval-the reason why "all competitions" is almost useless is because teams can play so many different sorts of opponents that it skews things massively. All competitions can be games against Juventus, City, , and United or a bunch of matches against Brentford, Nordsjaelland, and Leeds. Chelsea played an almost unprecedented number of games against poor teams last season (long runs in both domestic cups including replays and the Europa League did that) so a number of players were able to put up stats against teams like Wolves or Brentford, Kazan, etc...(Look at who Torres got his goals against). Moses played against weaker opposition than any of our regulars. If you look at say Chelsea's hardest 10-15 games, he didn't start any of them, which is why his "all competition stats" look half-decent.

I just don't get how can the 'all competitions' stats be almost useless. Yes, I do agree that it can distort the reality sometimes BUT if we are to win trophies especially those domestic ones, then we are bound to come up against average-poor oppositions which a player like Moses can be useful. When we bought him, think we all knew that he was never going to be a starter particularly in the key/big games but a decent squad player to come in and do a job for us if and when required (e.g rotations/suspensions/injuries). Granted he hasn't been exactly great like in the Premier League as you pointed out but we need to remember that last season was his first here with us and it was a huge step up from his time at Wigan. It will take time for him to adjust and even though Moses won't ever become a top quality player, he will improve and become a good squad player for us.

MVG is having a great pre season and we are all celebrating. Moses is doing same and some dumb asses are saying its just a pre season.. Funny opinions and dumb arguements!

Moses was here with us for one year. We know what he is capable of against what sort of opposition. All the teams that we have played in pre season are not top tier teams. Last season, we saw he does well against Europa Cup level teams. The current Inter Milan side is just that level. Moses doing well against them is hardly any surprise.

Some of you lot come out with guns blazing and say things like "where are those people who said he should be sold for 9 million", "moses performance is a perfect fuck you for all of you haters".

We are just objecting to that.

MVG on the other hand is an unknown quantity for most of us. We have hardly seen him play before. His performances against average opposition have been positive and we are yet to see him against top level opposition.

The difference between the two is this:

While we saw moses play and come up a cropper against top teams, we haven't yet seen how Ginkel will perform in those matches. But with the unknown, there is always room for optimism.

^^ right on!

still remember his poor performance against Corinthians. He just couldn't handle tight marking and the physical game proposed by Corinthians in the WCC final. He is a pacey player who needs spaces and he will find plenty of those in friendlies with very loose marking.

He can improve as he is still pretty young. I reckon the Oscar/Hazard boat has sailed for him though - that quality is just not attainable. However, as I've said a few times before, judging player potential is far more difficult than current ability.

He had a poor year last season for us. One good game in a meaningless pre-season match is not a statement of any kind.

yeah sure if u think a poor season means 10 goals in his debut season,one of which included the last minute winner against Shaktar then well I really don't know what you want from a squad player.

^^ right on!

still remember his poor performance against Corinthians. He just couldn't handle tight marking and the physical game proposed by Corinthians in the WCC final. He is a pacey player who needs spaces and he will find plenty of those in friendlies with very loose marking.

He can improve as he is still pretty young. I reckon the Oscar/Hazard boat has sailed for him though - that quality is just not attainable. However, as I've said a few times before, judging player potential is far more difficult than current ability.

So he's the kind of player who does well in counter-attacking situations where there's space in front of him for him to use his pace and power to exploit (basically what he did at Wigan, but not what happened under Di Matteo or Benitez)???

If only we had a manager who liked to play that type of football. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So he's the kind of player who does well in counter-attacking situations where there's space in front of him for him to use his pace and power to exploit (basically what he did at Wigan, but not what happened under Di Matteo or Benitez)???

If only we had a manager who liked to play that type of football. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Liking/wanting and actually pulling it off are completely different things. Good luck playing counter against a bottom-feeder at home.

So, how do you see Moses in the upcoming season? What are your predictions?

Mine is that he's squad player and not even rotation. Once again would love to be proven wrong (wish Ba had done that) but I doubt it.

yeah sure if u think a poor season means 10 goals in his debut season,one of which included the last minute winner against Shaktar then well I really don't know what you want from a squad player.

Don't you know our squad players have to be ballon d'Or candidates? What we need to do is buy Messi and Ronaldo and then relegate Hazard and Oscar to the bench. That way we'll have the strongest squad like EVER! Do it Roman!

Moses had a poor season last year? Are people expecting him to be Messi or something?

No, but I expected him to be pushing for a starting position and not relegated to starting against poor sides and doing nothing at all in the league. He was literally useless in the Premier League.. His production could have been replaced with a player we got on a free. This is a player we spent 9M pounds or so on and despite our complete and utter lack of depth and us not having a single other RW, he never pushed for a starting spot under either manager and he barely played in any important games. It's not Messi or useless, you can be a very good rotation player and Moses wasn't. He literally didn't score well, didn't pass well, didn't defend well, was poor in the air, poor at finishing, poor at crossing, poor at holding up the ball...but he was useful because he scored 1 big goal and scored a few goals in crappy competitions against bad sides? People are so easily satisfied with a players' awful output if he's young. I expect players to actually, you know, contribute something. As I said before Kalou was better with us and people loathed him and couldn't wait to see him sold.

No, but I expected him to be pushing for a starting position and not relegated to starting against poor sides and doing nothing at all in the league. He was literally useless in the Premier League.. His production could have been replaced with a player we got on a free. This is a player we spent 9M pounds or so on and despite our complete and utter lack of depth and us not having a single other RW, he never pushed for a starting spot under either manager and he barely played in any important games. It's not Messi or useless, you can be a very good rotation player and Moses wasn't. He literally didn't score well, didn't pass well, didn't defend well, was poor in the air, poor at finishing, poor at crossing, poor at holding up the ball...but he was useful because he scored 1 big goal and scored a few goals in crappy competitions against bad sides? People are so easily satisfied with a players' awful output if he's young. I expect players to actually, you know, contribute something. As I said before Kalou was better with us and people loathed him and couldn't wait to see him sold.

Well, there in lies the problem then. Personally, I never expected Moses to be anything more than a good squad player, someone who could fill in when he's needed and in that sense he's performed well.

Okay, in the PL he wasn't as good but he wasn't consistently picked - as mentioned before by a few members here he still stepped up when he was picked in the domestic cups and Europa League and his production out in these competitions allowed us to rest key players for the more important PL games so IMO he's been a good signing. To say he didn't contribute anything just because most of his goals and assists came out of the PL is ludicrous I think.

I think he's a much better fit than Kalou for our squad as he is an actual winger - Kalou was a striker first and foremost that was forced out wide. The problem with Kalou was that he was considered a special player for the future but he just failed to live up to his hype, hence why he got loathed so often however everyone knows the Moses buy was for the squad and that's why no one gives him as much grief.