Victor Moses

Superblue

I think with Victor moses it is the same like with Malouda, a winger who relies more on his power and strength than fancy tricks and needless solo-runs. For hose players, space is extremely important, that is why he thrives on counterattacking play. Moses has still weaknesses the most striking one being his inconsistency. But don't forget he is only 22. Yet he is already very experienced having played 3 years first team football before joining us and most importantly very mature. Other players at his age brag around demanding game time and shit, Moses is just glad to have the opportunity and does his job as good as he can, on and off the pitch. He is extremely hardworking, always tracks back and has outstanding defensive abilites for a winger. I think it is important that we keep him as a alternative direct option to our Maestros. He might not have had the best season, but stats don't lie and when you look at them you see decent end product. I think he was instrumental for our run in the EL and that is all ok for his first season at a big club. Defensive wingers have been used to good effect here at Chelsea with Malouda and Kalou being examples, Moses is more talented than both and has a good 5-10 years of development left. We should not judge him on single games. We paid 18m for Andre Schürrle and all have been keen to defend him, Moses actually had a very similar season to Schürrle in a much stronger league...

I think with Victor moses it is the same like with Malouda, a winger who relies more on his power and strength than fancy tricks and needless solo-runs. For hose players, space is extremely important, that is why he thrives on counterattacking play. Moses has still weaknesses the most striking one being his inconsistency. But don't forget he is only 22. Yet he is already very experienced having played 3 years first team football before joining us and most importantly very mature. Other players at his age brag around demanding game time and shit, Moses is just glad to have the opportunity and does his job as good as he can, on and off the pitch. He is extremely hardworking, always tracks back and has outstanding defensive abilites for a winger. I think it is important that we keep him as a alternative direct option to our Maestros. He might not have had the best season, but stats don't lie and when you look at them you see decent end product. I think he was instrumental for our run in the EL and that is all ok for his first season at a big club. Defensive wingers have been used to good effect here at Chelsea with Malouda and Kalou being examples, Moses is more talented than both and has a good 5-10 years of development left. We should not judge him on single games. We paid 18m for Andre Schürrle and all have been keen to defend him, Moses actually had a very similar season to Schürrle in a much stronger league...

many excellent points raised here

I wouldn't say a poor season.. it was an ok one IMO. some great goals, some descent performances and some crappy performances.

23 league games, 1 goal 1 assist for an attacking player. It was definitely a poor season. He didn't get a lot of regular playing time, but still he was probably our worst player who got semi-regular time last year. He is currently our 6th option at attacking midfield so I don't think it's likely he plays much this season barring injury.

He had a poor year last season for us. One good game in a meaningless pre-season match is not a statement of any kind.

He did not have a 'poor' season. Before AFCON i wanted him to start alongside Mata and Hazard because he always did a good job when called upon, and offered something very different. But winning that trophy with Nigeria fucked him up, and he only had like 1 good game in the fa cup after that - found his form in EL though.

23 league games, 1 goal 1 assist for an attacking player. It was definitely a poor season. He didn't get a lot of regular playing time, but still he was probably our worst player who got semi-regular time last year. He is currently our 6th option at attacking midfield so I don't think it's likely he plays much this season barring injury.

Stats are not everything. You only needed to watch him at the beginning of the season - direct running, great dribbling and terrorizing defenders. He's not a star player than can also add goals to that, but he still played well - led Nigeria to Afcon like that.

He did not have a 'poor' season. Before AFCON i wanted him to start alongside Mata and Hazard because he always did a good job when called upon, and offered something very different. But winning that trophy with Nigeria fucked him up, and he only had like 1 good game in the fa cup after that - found his form in EL though.

Stats are not everything. You only needed to watch him at the beginning of the season - direct running, great dribbling and terrorizing defenders. He's not a star player than can also add goals to that, but he still played well - led Nigeria to Afcon like that.

Can we please stop quoting African Nations Cup to prove a player's worth.

Its a second rung competition, lets not make a big deal out of it.

Which were these good performances of Moses before AFCON that people keep raving about? I can only remember the FA Cup game vs Southamton (Ba's debut). He was below par for pretty much all the other games.

I watched every game last season. Moses had a few decent games and many many poor ones. He played well at AFCON, but for Chelsea, he was definitely poor and I can't think of a worse semi-regular player for us. It was a worse season than Kalou ever had for us but because of his youth people will give him enormous slack. If you can't admit that an attacking player who had 1 goal and 1 assist in 23 games with mediocre (at best) defense, and poor passing had a poor year, you simply are never going to admit it. He contributed absolutely nothing to Chelsea in the league or in the Champions League. Before AFCON when you talk about him playing well, he had 1 goal and 1 assist in the league and in Europe in 18 games. That was his good stretch? He had 4 successful crosses all season. His passing rate was the worst (except Marin) among any midfielders despite attempting very few long balls. His defensive work was limited. He still has excellent potential,. but yes, he was poor.

I watched every game last season. Moses had a few decent games and many many poor ones. He played well at AFCON, but for Chelsea, he was definitely poor and I can't think of a worse semi-regular player for us. It was a worse season than Kalou ever had for us but because of his youth people will give him enormous slack. If you can't admit that an attacking player who had 1 goal and 1 assist in 23 games with mediocre (at best) defense, and poor passing had a poor year, you simply are never going to admit it. He contributed absolutely nothing to Chelsea in the league or in the Champions League. Before AFCON when you talk about him playing well, he had 1 goal and 1 assist in the league and in Europe in 18 games. That was his good stretch? He had 4 successful crosses all season. His passing rate was the worst (except Marin) among any midfielders despite attempting very few long balls. His defensive work was limited. He still has excellent potential,. but yes, he was poor.

Who would you have then?

this statement shows exactly how much u saw and remember the last season. moses was the only reason we even had a chance of qualifying before the juve away game when he scored that header against shakhtar to give us a 3-2 win. before that he was barely given anytime on the pitch by rdm. i remember him making buttner run in circles in the COC match against united. also after afcon he has a brilliant run of play in the europa league and the STATS which u keep quoting prove that. in 23 games u forget to add that he had 11 substititute appearances because which would be mainly a "defensive" move from benitez to take out one of mazacar and put in moses so as to give more cover to the wings. so he WAS NOT POOR by any standards. he did what was needed and expected out of him.

this statement shows exactly how much u saw and remember the last season. moses was the only reason we even had a chance of qualifying before the juve away game when he scored that header against shakhtar to give us a 3-2 win. before that he was barely given anytime on the pitch by rdm. i remember him making buttner run in circles in the COC match against united. also after afcon he has a brilliant run of play in the europa league and the STATS which u keep quoting prove that. in 23 games u forget to add that he had 11 substititute appearances because which would be mainly a "defensive" move from benitez to take out one of mazacar and put in moses so as to give more cover to the wings. so he WAS NOT POOR by any standards. he did what was needed and expected out of him.

Oh yes, I disagree with you so I didn't watch the games. Moses was not the only reason we had a chance to advance. He had one big goal. We played 6 games. It's like the Torres won the corner to that lead to the goal against Bayern argument. (Would you say that Kalou was the reason for our Champions League win? He certainly had more of an impact on that run than Moses did on ours last year.) He made Buttner and Wooten run in circles? The duo who combined for 5 appearances in the league for ManU. Oh yes, a sure sign of an excellent season. The season is long and every single attacking player is going to have great moments. You can't take the few great moments a player has and say "those are who he is" because they were incredibly rare.

I don't forget that he has 11 substitutes appearances either. 1 goal and 1 assist in 12 starts is still awful (Marin had the same totals in 2 starts and 4 sub appearances) and no, Moses is not particularly good defensively. He was used as a substitute because we didn't have depth and when one of the starters got tired (and 2 of them are poor defensively also), who else would Benitez put on? Benayoun? Marin? The lack of a productive substitute or viable alternative to the front three was a major problem last season which is why Chelsea went out and brought in/back two players (Schurrle and De Bruyne) who should both play ahead of Moses. Moses didn't score, didn't assist, didn't pass well, and didn't defend well last season and he's not a natural-winger type who drew defenders away to allow more space for attackers. He cut in all the time. He contributed almost nothing to Chelsea last season apart from the Europa League. I'm sick of every player under about 23 being massively overrated. (And people not seeming to be able to tell the difference between the tenses. "was good" and "could be good" are two different things. Moses could develop into a good player, but he was not a good player last season at all,

Oh yes, I disagree with you so I didn't watch the games. Moses was not the only reason we had a chance to advance. He had one big goal. We played 6 games. It's like the Torres won the corner to that lead to the goal against Bayern argument. (Would you say that Kalou was the reason for our Champions League win? He certainly had more of an impact on that run than Moses did on ours last year.) He made Buttner and Wooten run in circles? The duo who combined for 5 appearances in the league for ManU. Oh yes, a sure sign of an excellent season. The season is long and every single attacking player is going to have great moments. You can't take the few great moments a player has and say "those are who he is" because they were incredibly rare.

I don't forget that he has 11 substitutes appearances either. 1 goal and 1 assist in 12 starts is still awful (Marin had the same totals in 2 starts and 4 sub appearances) and no, Moses is not particularly good defensively. He was used as a substitute because we didn't have depth and when one of the starters got tired (and 2 of them are poor defensively also), who else would Benitez put on? Benayoun? Marin? The lack of a productive substitute or viable alternative to the front three was a major problem last season which is why Chelsea went out and brought in/back two players (Schurrle and De Bruyne) who should both play ahead of Moses. Moses didn't score, didn't assist, didn't pass well, and didn't defend well last season and he's not a natural-winger type who drew defenders away to allow more space for attackers. He cut in all the time. He contributed almost nothing to Chelsea last season apart from the Europa League. I'm sick of every player under about 23 being massively overrated. (And people not seeming to be able to tell the difference between the tenses. "was good" and "could be good" are two different things. Moses could develop into a good player, but he was not a good player last season at all,

now first thing first - u made a statement saying moses dint contribute ANYTHING to our CL. i called u out on that, because in my opinion the only good moment for chelsea in that CL campaign was moses header (apart from oscar's goal but that dint last long because we dropped 2 points that day). for me the 2 main matches which cost us the CL were shakhtar and juve away fixtures. in the shakhtar game, moses was not even a part of our bench, and against juve we were 2-0 down by the time moses came in the pitch. how he could have impacted our CL campaign in any more ways is beyond me. again i stress on the point that moses was a SQUAD BUY. someone to fill in the space in league cup, fa cup, matches and to give rest to first team players before big CL matches. but unfortunately, the "big matches" for us were the PL games so as to finish 4th and moses had to do the job in europa league and other competitions. which he did without a doubt.

also i dont understand how moses dint score? or dint assist. HE WAS PRE-DOMINANTLY PLAYED IN EVERY FA CUP, EUROPA LEAGUE match so that atleast one of the mazacar could get a rest for the league game.

moses played in

fa cup - 4+1 = 5

league cup = 3

europa league = 5+1= 6

that is 14 appearances in all in which he had 8 goals and 3 assists.

how is that bad for a squad player? he played his part in our last season. and he played it well. he was not superb but neither was he bad. i mean y are we even having this discussion when there were 2 players in our squad (marin and benayoun) who literally dint do us ANY GOOD. he had a decent first season with chelsea and if he can reciprocate the same, i for one will be very happy.

First of all, 11 of the "23 league games" were him being subbed on, at around 60-70 mins in, so it doesn't really count for me.

Also, the league is not everything, he had 12 goals and 9 assists in all competitions which is very decent. Just to put it into proportion, Oscar had 17 goals and 19 assists in 80 apperances, while Moses only had 49.

On top of all that, stats dont always "do justice" with players.. Moses was decent most of the times that he played, also putting in great performances in the Europa League.

Irregardless of the stats, I believe Moses can become several times more effective by simply improving his decision making in the final third.

This sounds a lot similar to the excuses made to defend Kalou, but Moses has shown the ability to beat his marker when needed. He's an out and out winger, and the most pure one we have at the moment. An indispensable part of the squad, no doubt.