test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

15. Victor Moses

Started by BlueLion.,

2,043 posts in this topic

Still just 21, Moses' displays for Wigan attracted interest from Chelsea prior to 2012-13; the European Champions looking to bolster their attacking options with young talent, having already signed Eden Hazard and Oscar over the summer. Having had four previous bids rejected, the Blues finally secured a deal reported to be worth £10m on 24 August 2012.

Having watched the 2012 UEFA Super Cup as an unused substitute, Moses made his debut in a goalless draw against Queens Park Rangers on 15 September. He scored on his full debut ten days later, scoring the sixth goal as Chelsea beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 6-0 in the League Cup. Goals against Swansea City and Shakhtar Donetsk followed in early November; the latter injury-time goal effectively keeping alive Chelsea's hopes of qualifying from the UEFA Champions League group stage. The win would ultimately prove futile, as Chelsea finished third in the group with a 3-0 loss to Juventus in the next match proving to be the killer blow. The defeat in Turin cost manager Roberto Di Matteo his job, and Moses' first team prospects improved following the hiring of Rafael Benítez on an interim basis, with the Spaniard evidently preferring the Nigerian's direct play to Oscar's artistry; Di Matteo having consistently favoured an attacking midfield trio of Juan Mata, Oscar and Eden Hazard. Moses generally made the most of his increased opportunities, cementing his popularity with the Chelsea fans with his impressive displays and goals in the cups against Leeds United and Southampton.

Click here to view the record

Even if his role is limited this season, he will be able to keep up his match fitness in the African Cup Of Nations.

This sh*t again?... :ph34r:

But now it's only mikel i think that will leave... no King Drogba and Kalou.

This sh*t again?... :ph34r:

Yes, they're having it in 2 consecutive years because they want it to stop being in the same year as the World cup.

The attention is around Hazard and Oscar out of our signing's this summer.

Moses will be left alone (so to speak) to get on with it and i think that might help him, same with Marin they (again so to speak) will be our joker cards this season.

Blue-in-me-Veins likes this

This isnt the Nigeria of the 90's we are talking about though. They didnt qualify last time, and while Liberia is a favorable draw for the last round of qualification getting a result in Monrovia definitely isnt a given.

Great..i think we're the complete team now.

Not quite.. if Moses could play as a CF it would be fine but I still think that we'll be in serious trouble if god forbid Torres picks up a knock... considering RDM built the whole team around him, if he gets injuried can Sturridge do it for us? Plus if Torres is out for a while and we have loads of games for example Wednesday CL Quarters.. Saturday PL tough away game... Tuesday Return leg of the Quarters. Will Sturridge be fit for all of those games and be able to deliver the goods? I think its too much pressure on him

Beirut_Blues and Muzchap like this

Not quite.. if Moses could play as a CF it would be fine but I still think that we'll be in serious trouble if god forbid Torres picks up a knock... considering RDM built the whole team around him, if he gets injuried can Sturridge do it for us? Plus if Torres is out for a while and we have loads of games for example Wednesday CL Quarters.. Saturday PL tough away game... Tuesday Return leg of the Quarters. Will Sturridge be fit for all of those games and be able to deliver the goods? I think its too much pressure on him

Agree - but this is still the 'transitional' season, we need to give the whole squad a chance, move those on that don't cut it etc.

I would expect some Jan transfer activity TBH.

Its about finding the right players and getting them to gel, already a lot of players come in - need a few months for them to settle... Then re-evaluate...

Paul Merson was saying on Gilette Soccer Saturday that in his opinion, Moses has been brought in for the big games and this is where he will have quite an impact. In some ways I agree with him, I think he will start a few games against weaker opposition but with his dribbling, pace and trickery he could also be a very good wildcard change. For instance there was many games last season where I thought we could do with a Moses type player to spark up the game. Look at Liverpool at home and away last season, Arsenal away, Tottenham at home and many other of the big games. We had the lack of a player who runs directly at the opposition which is why I am happy we now have the services of Moses.

I would like the idea of Moses-Hazard-Mata as a trio behind Torres. Quite a fearsome trio to be up against IMO

We better have the ball in those cases! :ph34r:

You can't take the ball of Hazard or Mata when they have it wink.gif

Does Moses actually help out in the back? At any rate, he's got the physical attributes. It's always good to have some defensively capable wingers in the event of playing a still far superior Barca side.

Does Moses actually help out in the back? At any rate, he's got the physical attributes. It's always good to have some defensively capable wingers in the event of playing a still far superior Barca side.

I don't know just know he was a defender at youth level... so if he is as disciplined as ppl say about him, he will be able to play there too