test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

28. César Azpilicueta

Started by BlueLion.,

1,947 posts in this topic
2 hours ago, Ashford said:

Hello everyone,

Sorry if I'm being rude, I did not introduce myself, I've been here for a long time but I prefer read you all than sharing my common opinion.

But tonight I will share with you a great information I heard this afternoon on RMC a french radio station. Azpilicueta was being interviewed by Christophe Dugarry and when the latter asked him if his plan was to retire at Chelsea, Azpi answered yes, that he loved the club and that him and his family were happy in England. I know it doesn't mean he will actually do it for sure, since it's football, but it clearly shows his commitment to the club.

I was so happy when I heard that, I wanted to share it with you Chelsea fans :).

Guessing this is what you were referring to...

Johnnyeye likes this

3 hours ago, Jason said:

captain material for sure, legend in the making, so proud to have him at Chelsea

It's time for people to respect Azpi more. People want to replace him with Van Dijk? Why? Azpi is actually the better pure defender. All VVD has over him is physicality - Azpi never gets dominated physically anyway because he's such a good defender. People just don't want to imagine him starting in that RCB role because it's unconventional. So what? He's still outstanding there. I think he deserves to have a chance there next season for the CL. If there's any guy you shouldn't doubt, it's Azpi.

Peace., Tomo and Amblève. like this

I don't think anyone wants Azpi to be replaced, people actually want Cahill to be replaced by Van Dijk. Azpi is our best defender, if he is fit, he plays as simple as that.

mashimaru161 likes this

Seriously dont get why ppl keep coming up with the idea of replacing him. Can we get a better player than him in terms of skill set ... Surely, Azpi has few flaws. But can we get a better player in terms of dedication, passion and maybe leadership material, now that is what is hard to come by. We tend to forget that replacing a player is just not about replacing his skillsets but it is also about replacing what he brings on field and off field. For me the last 5 years Azpi has been a true ambassador of the club, passionate about his work (basically he just does what is given to him and makes his own) and he can be a great future captain for us. 

2 hours ago, Mufassir08 said:

I don't think anyone wants Azpi to be replaced, people actually want Cahill to be replaced by Van Dijk. Azpi is our best defender, if he is fit, he plays as simple as that.

I've seen a few CFC fans suggest he shouldn't be starting. I'd rather see Christensen take up Cahill's spot, honestly. Christensen - Luiz - Azpi is a very nice back 3. Van Dijk doesn't improve on it imo. We should be looking at a top left footed CB if we wanted to improve at CB - someone like Laporte or Romagnoli would be a much better buy than Van Dijk.

2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I've seen a few CFC fans suggest he shouldn't be starting. I'd rather see Christensen take up Cahill's spot, honestly. Christensen - Luiz - Azpi is a very nice back 3. Van Dijk doesn't improve on it imo. We should be looking at a top left footed CB if we wanted to improve at CB - someone like Laporte or Romagnoli would be a much better buy than Van Dijk.

I wouldn't mind Christensen taking the place of Cahill next season either, However, this may be a bit of a wild card entry but I would absolutely love for us to sign Pepe on a short term deal. Pepe is an absolute rock of a defender and I believe we can squeeze out atleast another year if not two out of him. His experience and winning mentality would also help us massively in the champions league and the best part? Pepe could act as a bridge between the present and the future i.e Christensen. I don't know if it's my biasness that I feel  Pepe on a free as a short term deal could prove to be genius but I really think we would benefit from this deal a lot. He could have the same impact Dani Alves is having on Juve.

The Skipper likes this

I wouldn't mind Christensen taking the place of Cahill next season either, However, this may be a bit of a wild card entry but I would absolutely love for us to sign Pepe on a short term deal. Pepe is an absolute rock of a defender and I believe we can squeeze out atleast another year if not two out of him. His experience and winning mentality would also help us massively in the champions league and the best part? Pepe could act as a bridge between the present and the future i.e Christensen. I don't know if it's my biasness that I feel  Pepe on a free as a short term deal could prove to be genius but I really think we would benefit from this deal a lot. He could have the same impact Dani Alves is having on Juve.

Not a bad idea. Can he play in a back three though?

3 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Not a bad idea. Can he play in a back three though?

With his quality and experience, I'm sure he'll do great. Don't forget Pepe is quite a proactive and aggressive defender so he should do fine on the left or the right.

The Skipper likes this

With his quality and experience, I'm sure he'll do great. Don't forget Pepe is quite a proactive and aggressive defender so he should do fine on the left or the right.

Having a proactive and aggressive defender is good but I don't think we or Conte would want a loose cannon, at least on the pitch, in the team.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Having a proactive and aggressive defender is good but I don't think we or Conte would want a loose cannon, at least on the pitch, in the team.

I know Pepe can be rash at times but he is not naive, I mean we are talking about a guy who has performed brilliantly in UCL finals and was the lynch-pin of the defense for the Portugal team that won the Euros. When fit, he's still one of the top CBs around imo.

1 minute ago, Mufassir08 said:

I know Pepe can be rash at times but he is not naive, I mean we are talking about a guy who has performed brilliantly in UCL finals and was the lynch-pin of the defense for the Portugal team that won the Euros. When fit, he's still one of the top CBs around imo.

That's the thing. I don't think Conte would want that kind of unpredictable players in the team. He would want players who are reliable and dependable and considering that Luiz, admittedly rarely these days, can still do something silly (e.g. his challenge on Rondon last Friday), Conte wouldn't want 2 players like that in the squad.