César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

I respect your opinion but I totally disagree with you. Granted Azpi is prone to lapses in concentration, but he was one of the stand-out performers under the Rafa Regime. He adds far more to the team in an offensive sense, and unlike Ivanovic - who, in my view, is developing a lazy streak - actually closes down attacking wide players instead of allowing the cross to come in.

What the fuck?

The guy is a machine, doesn't stop running all day and gets up and down that right wing with fuck all support sometimes....and he's developing a lazy streak???

I do sometimes wonder if people watch the matches when they make comments like this.

I respect your opinion but I totally disagree with you. Granted Azpi is prone to lapses in concentration, but he was one of the stand-out performers under the Rafa Regime. He adds far more to the team in an offensive sense, and unlike Ivanovic - who, in my view, is developing a lazy streak - actually closes down attacking wide players instead of allowing the cross to come in.

BOOOM!!!!

dude, seriously??? iva's workrate has been BRILLIANT. absolutely phenomenal. he is always available on the right wide providing us much-much-much needed width.

also, iva never closed down wingers. it was always one of his poor points. i mean even in 2009-10 when he got RB of the year, he still had the problem, so this is not something that has "developed" now.

as for offensively, iva so far has been a very good outlet. look at his cross to etoo at the near post. a couple of brilliant runs in the basel and fulham match.

What the fuck?

The guy is a machine, doesn't stop running all day and gets up and down that right wing with fuck all support sometimes....and he's developing a lazy streak???

I do sometimes wonder if people watch the matches when they make comments like this.

BOOOM!!!!

dude, seriously??? iva's workrate has been BRILLIANT. absolutely phenomenal. he is always available on the right wide providing us much-much-much needed width.

also, iva never closed down wingers. it was always one of his poor points. i mean even in 2009-10 when he got RB of the year, he still had the problem, so this is not something that has "developed" now.

as for offensively, iva so far has been a very good outlet. look at his cross to etoo at the near post. a couple of brilliant runs in the basel and fulham match.

He can be exceptionally lazy at times. He refuses to close down wingers (a cardinal sin for a full-back), and on multiple occasions this season he has got forward, the team has lost the ball and he's simply walked back instead of running back to help. Happened at least four times against Basel alone.

He can be exceptionally lazy at times. He refuses to close down wingers (a cardinal sin for a full-back), and on multiple occasions this season he has got forward, the team has lost the ball and he's simply walked back instead of running back to help. Happened at least four times against Basel alone.

i dont remember when those 4 instances happened during the basel match but i ll take your word for it.

still i would say, for me, iva was the MOTM in that match, (u can go to the basel post match thread and see my vote). i felt he was great defensively, twice he saved luiz's ass when he was out of position. one of those was when strellar would have gone one on one with cech if not for iva's timely interception.

attackingly, i felt, he seemed to be our best option on the pitch. provided with width, made some brilliant runs towards the end of the match. all throughout the match he was shouting at willian to make a run ahead of him but to no avail and i remember in the 2nd half oscar made on of those, iva put him thru on theline and it resulted in a half chance.

we are playing a different system and its pretty clear from the amount of ball iva and cole have got in the last 3 matches that jose is going to use them as attacking options. look at how cole is struggling in this new system, while i feel iva has been better than just good.

moreover, just like in the mata-case, i would trust jose for knowing what he is doing. i dont see any reason why he would say something like "do i have a doubt that iva is my first choice rb? I DONT." unless he is 100% sure.

i dont remember when those 4 instances happened during the basel match but i ll take your word for it.

still i would say, for me, iva was the MOTM in that match, (u can go to the basel post match thread and see my vote). i felt he was great defensively, twice he saved luiz's ass when he was out of position. one of those was when strellar would have gone one on one with cech if not for iva's timely interception.

attackingly, i felt, he seemed to be our best option on the pitch. provided with width, made some brilliant runs towards the end of the match. all throughout the match he was shouting at willian to make a run ahead of him but to no avail and i remember in the 2nd half oscar made on of those, iva put him thru on theline and it resulted in a half chance.

we are playing a different system and its pretty clear from the amount of ball iva and cole have got in the last 3 matches that jose is going to use them as attacking options. look at how cole is struggling in this new system, while i feel iva has been better than just good.

moreover, just like in the mata-case, i would trust jose for knowing what he is doing. i dont see any reason why he would say something like "do i have a doubt that iva is my first choice rb? I DONT." unless he is 100% sure.

It's a case of semantics. In retrospect I'll accept that "lazy streak" was the wrong choice of words. I definitely stand by my point that he doesn't have the temperament of a full-back. It is a cardinal sin for a full-back not to close down a wide player, as far as I'm concerned. He is a centre-half though, of course. I just personally believe that in this team we need more balance at full-back, and I believe Azpi should be starting. IMO, Ivanovic is our best centre-half, so as to why he is playing where he is, only José knows.

But people need to jump of their high horses. Not aiming this bit at you, didierforever! Just a comment TOPTB made earlier: "Mourinho has forgotten more about football than you'll ever know" - maybe so, doesn't mean everything he does is right, does it? Does it mean we can't question his methods and actions? If Rafa had made some of the decisions José is making, we'd be kicking off like crazy! :lol: For me, one of the wrong decisions Mourinho is making is playing Iva at RB.

It's a case of semantics. In retrospect I'll accept that "lazy streak" was the wrong choice of words. I definitely stand by my point that he doesn't have the temperament of a full-back. It is a cardinal sin for a full-back not to close down a wide player, as far as I'm concerned. He is a centre-half though, of course. I just personally believe that in this team we need more balance at full-back, and I believe Azpi should be starting. IMO, Ivanovic is our best centre-half, so as to why he is playing where he is, only José knows.

But people need to jump of their high horses. Not aiming this bit at you, didierforever! Just a comment TOPTB made earlier: "Mourinho has forgotten more about football than you'll ever know" - maybe so, doesn't mean everything he does is right, does it? Does it mean we can't question his methods and actions? If Rafa had made some of the decisions José is making, we'd be kicking off like crazy! :lol: For me, one of the wrong decisions Mourinho is making is playing Iva at RB.

totally accepted. and that is one of the reasons i just said that mou would be 100% sure because, i cant see how azpi is a better RB than iva under the tactics mou is applying. azpi's pace is better, link up play is better, he workrate is normally very good and he should be an ideal choice as a RB under the tactics mou is using. but for some reason mou thinks otherwise and i cant say that it has not worked. so lets see how it goes.

also 100% agree with iva being our best cb. he showed it last season.

u must be the 5th or 6th guy INSIDE a week to use the same exact phrase "get off your high horse" against toptb.

totally accepted. and that is one of the reasons i just said that mou would be 100% sure because, i cant see how azpi is a better RB than iva under the tactics mou is applying. azpi's pace is better, link up play is better, he workrate is normally very good and he should be an ideal choice as a RB under the tactics mou is using. but for some reason mou thinks otherwise and i cant say that it has not worked. so lets see how it goes.

also 100% agree with iva being our best cb. he showed it last season.

u must be the 5th or 6th guy INSIDE a week to use the same exact phrase "get off your high horse" against toptb.

For me, our only real width at the minute is coming from the full-backs. Whilst we get an awful lot of support from Iva (much more than Cole offers, anyway), for me, he lacks the same attacking conviction of someone like Azpi, or even Paulo, back in the day. If he was to be a little more confident and throw a few more crosses in, the law of averages dictates it would give more crosses for our forwards to attack. Azpi throws plenty of crosses in - most are useless, but some are excellent. If Iva works on his crossing and just gets his head down and swings the ball in, then great. We just need a bit more actual supply from the two full-backs if they are going to be Jose main source of width this season. :)

Just to clarify: that comment wasn't aimed solely at him. There are some people that believe everything Mourinho does is beyond reproach. If it was, would point would there be in a discussion forum?

For me, our only real width at the minute is coming from the full-backs. Whilst we get an awful lot of support from Iva (much more than Cole offers, anyway), for me, he lacks the same attacking conviction of someone like Azpi, or even Paulo, back in the day. If he was to be a little more confident and throw a few more crosses in, the law of averages dictates it would give more crosses for our forwards to attack. Azpi throws plenty of crosses in - most are useless, but some are excellent. If Iva works on his crossing and just gets his head down and swings the ball in, then great. We just need a bit more actual supply from the two full-backs if they are going to be Jose main source of width this season. :)

Just to clarify: that comment wasn't aimed solely at him. There are some people that believe everything Mourinho does is beyond reproach. If it was, would point would there be in a discussion forum?

i think jose has purposely told iva not to cross the ball into the box. in jose's post-match press conference with chelsea tv, he says it loud and clear.

he even said something like he wants iva to be more patient on the ball, let our AMs make the runs and then play them in. otherwise he said he would prefer low crosses (like the one iva gave to etoo, when etoo got ahead of stockdale but could not get a definitive touch).

still early days though. lets see how things pan out.

Azpilicueta demonstrates he's more of a modern full-back than Ivanovic is. Yea Ivanovic is a safety net in that position, but with him we're just lacking that extra firepower we need coming from our offensive play. I really hope José acknowledges this, because lack of attacking play from full-backs is hurting us.

Azpilicueta demonstrates he's more of a modern full-back than Ivanovic is. Yea Ivanovic is a safety net in that position, but with him we're just lacking that extra firepower we need coming from our offensive play. I really hope José acknowledges this, because lack of attacking play from full-backs is hurting us.

I think Ivanovic and Azpilicueta is a perfect combo to have. Both offer different things and can play in different games depending on matchups but that means more than Aziplicueta playing just against League One sides. My biggest reservation about Mourinho coming back was that he'd manage his preferencial way (defensive solidity, counter-attack) rather than to the squad Chelsea have assembled (skilled, exciting, not all that good defensively) and so far, IMO, that seems to be the case. Hopefully, it's a matter of him getting familiar with the squad and playing it safe until then.

I think Ivanovic and Azpilicueta is a perfect combo to have. Both offer different things and can play in different games depending on matchups but that means more than Aziplicueta playing just against League One sides. My biggest reservation about Mourinho coming back was that he'd manage his preferencial way (defensive solidity, counter-attack) rather than to the squad Chelsea have assembled (skilled, exciting, not all that good defensively) and so far, IMO, that seems to be the case. Hopefully, it's a matter of him getting familiar with the squad and playing it safe until then.

The highlighted bit is spot on. I do think however it's a bit early to judge our football this time round under Mou tho, i remember when Benitez came in their was concerns he would resort to his ultra cautious Liverpool style and stifle our flair players and as it turned out we were the opposite to that. Rafa's Liverpool were compact and tough to beat or even score past at times (when LFC were tactically spot under the Spaniard they were tough to create chances against let alone score past, as we found out on more than one occasion). Yet his Chelsea were the complete opposite,

Although having said that if he had Schurrle available to him i don't think we would have seen the Mazacar all to often under Benitez either.