César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

How many RBs really are that much better than Azpi that we can realistically target? I can't think of 2. LB is the fullback position we should be addressing before we ever considering replacing Azpi.

Yeah, he can't dribble much and his crossing is hit or miss. He still has a decent number of assists from his crosses. His biggest asset is that he's a rock defensively and he is at least 10 times better than Cole in our build-up. He's a better passer than our entire midfield lol.

How many RBs really are that much better than Azpi that we can realistically target? I can't think of 2. LB is the fullback position we should be addressing before we ever considering replacing Azpi.

Yeah, he can't dribble much and his crossing is hit or miss. He still has a decent number of assists from his crosses. His biggest asset is that he's a rock defensively and he is at least 10 times better than Cole in our build-up. He's a better passer than our entire midfield lol.

well, I can't for the life of me remember one of his crosses that was actually a hit. I only remember terrible misses, unfortunate misses, not-so-bad misses, unlucky misses, I'm-hitting-my-head-on-the-wall misses.

I disagree about the passer. He passes well because his passes are always risk-less. He doesn't dribble, so he won't try to face up the opponent; he normally just passes the ball to who is closer or back to midfield/defense zones - which means pointless passing.

I do agree about him being good defensively.

And to name a couple of better RB: Daniel Alves (although I hate him and would rather my mother playing for us rather than him). I like Maicon as well - but I'm biased and he is old. I also like Lahm - like a lot. But none of those guys could actually come to us. So yeah, better stick with César - admitted defeat in the previous post already.

I think we need a LB more than we need a RB because the alternative to Cole is Ryan Frigging Bertrand. My dislike for that kid's football knows no limit. I really dislike him. I'm not Cole's biggest fan either (based on his current form). Some games last season he was so lazy I wanted to slap him.

His crossing isn't even that bad. Put some absolute beauties into the box, especially with his left foot (love how he likes to cut inside and cross, with either foot - a real quality there) - just has no-one to attack them.

I'm sure I'll disagree with Barabara about this since we have totally different ideas about what a fullback should be, but for me Cesar was one of the men of the season for us under Benitez.

First, the myth about his bad crossing. He is by no means the best crosser in the league, but he can certainly put in decent crosses. He made 4 assists from crosses this season (all in the PL) which is quite impressive considering our most likely player to score a header is Lampard! Crossing takes two parties, the one who's doing the crossing and the one receiving it. If absolutely no one in the team makes a run or any attempt to get at the end of crosses and give our fullbacks something to aim at, how do you expect his crosses to reach their destination. Our issue with crosses at Chelsea is with the receivers not 'senders'.

Secondly, about his contribution to the attack. Yes, he cannot dribble and he's certainly not Danny Alves, but for me a RB does not have to be able to do that. If you go back to statistics of our matches, Azpi was consistently one of our most influential players in terms of touches on the ball. The reason for that is that Benitez compensated for the lack of movement and dropping back by our 3 AMs to receiver the ball by making triangles between Azpi, Iva/Cahill and Mikel to get the ball out of defense which was one of our biggest issues if not the biggest. Azpi excelled at this and was crucial to our offense and build-up play.

I'm coming to terms, guys, I'm coming to terms.

I haven't watched all 70 matches last season. Probably about 50, so maybe I missed the matches he assisted with his crosses or maybe I missed it during the match - whether the player in the box capitalized the assist or not.

I'll keep a closer eye on him next season and come back in a few months with a more accurate review about him.

Is someone able to find stats regarding how many goals we scored in open play from crosses? And, who scored these and who assisted?

I can't remeber all his assists :

1. Sexy left foot cross to Eden against WBA I think.

2. Low cross to Eden against Wigan.

3. Sweeet early cross to Torres against Villa

4. ?

Is someone able to find stats regarding how many goals we scored in open play from crosses? And, who scored these and who assisted?

Wahey. Some stats inquiry! :lol: I'll get to that. Give me a moment.

4. ?

4th = His inch perfect cross for Mata against Arsenal at the Bridge.

4. ?

Mata against Arsenal

Going with this format; Assister - Scorer vs Opposition (H/A)

1. Oscar - Moses vs Wolves (H)

2. Ivanovic - Torres vs Norwich (H)

3. Oscar - Ramires vs Man United (H - PL)

4. Azpi - Hazard vs West Brom (A)

5. Hazard - Torres(1st goal) vs Sunderland (A)

6. Mata - Ivanovic vs Southampton (A - FA Cup)

7. Azpi - Mata vs Arsenal (H)

8. Oscar - Terry vs Brentford (H)

9. Mata - Torres vs Rubin Kazan (H)

10. Mata - Terry(2nd goal) vs Fulham (A)

11. Azpi - Torres vs Aston Villa (H)

There are also...

12. Cole - Torres vs Reading (H)

13. Mata - Sturridge vs Spurs (A)

But that those 2 assists could be considered as a low passes as opposed to a low cross. Take a pick then. :P

Edited by BluesMaster

Going with this format; Assister - Scorer vs Opposition (H/A)

1. Oscar - Moses vs Wolves (H)

2. Ivanovic - Torres vs Norwich (H)

3. Oscar - Ramires vs Man United (H - PL)

4. Azpi - Hazard vs West Brom (A)

5. Hazard - Torres(1st goal) vs Sunderland (A)

6. Mata - Ivanovic vs Southampton (A - FA Cup)

7. Azpi - Mata vs Arsenal (H)

8. Oscar - Terry vs Brentford (H)

9. Mata - Torres vs Rubin Kazan (H)

10. Mata - Terry(2nd goal) vs Fulham (A)

There are also...

11. Cole - Torres vs Reading (H)

12. Mata - Sturridge vs Spurs (A)

But that those 2 assists could be considered as a low passes as opposed to a low cross. Take a pick then. :P

Damn so fast! Didn't even expect a response let alone all the stats.

2 out 10 from Azpi then not bad. But overall, pretty poor from us as a team. 7 goals in an entire season from crosses in the PL, yikes. Hopefully better striker next year and we can score more because Oscar and Mata both put in some sexy crosses on a regular basis. Azpi as well can put it on a dime when he has a target.

Damn so fast! Didn't even expect a response let alone all the stats.

Am a part-time statman. :P

2 out 10 from Azpi then not bad. But overall, pretty poor from us as a team. 7 goals in an entire season from crosses in the PL, yikes. Hopefully better striker next year and we can score more because Oscar and Mata both put in some sexy crosses on a regular basis. Azpi as well can put it on a dime when he has a target.

Oops. Sorry. It's 3 out of 10 actually from Azpi. Missed out his cross for Torres against Villa.

I cant actually think of one full back who is a really accurate crosser in the PL except Leighton Baines really, so to say Azpi has quite bad crossing is odd when most of the fullbacks in the league do.

Very true. The art of crossing is a dying one unfortunately. The only world-class crosser in the entire league is Larsson, imo.