César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

When I think about it, one on one he is better than Ivanovic. This fb dilemma is so hard. I think Azpi can walk into either spot. I don't give in to Ivan being better offensively. I think that Azpi produces better crosses, although I think Ivan is more direct. The bottom line, what pairing would be best for cfc? A technical and strong defensively duo or a powerful duo with strong ability in the air at both ends

Azpi is really like a god. :worship:

He may not venture forward a lot from LB under Mourinho but more often than not, when he does go forward, he will end up providing something crucial in the final third. His assist in the Villa game earlier this season, the one for Torres against Galatasaray being the prime examples.

"The whole squad know we have to fight together. Some players have more talent, some score goals, and sometimes we have to defend for them - but the main thing is we do it all as a team"

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-azpilicueta-hails-chelsea-mentality-223937401--sow.html

Certain people within the media didn't take too kind when Neville and Carragher said he was the best one on one defender in the league, fact remains is they are spot on. You very rarely see this guy skinned by anyone, nor do you see him being pulled all over the flank by his opposite number......Tremendous athlete, tremendous asset and one of the finest buys this club has ever made.

Azpilcueta :clap:

I disagree that he lacks phisicaity, full back is not a position that requires the most phisical player.The qualities that needed there is mostly pace and a bit of intelligence to counter those tricky players.I think he played very well against Man U.

I think he is that kind of player who needs to play a lot in order for him to start perfoming at his peek. The added advantage is that he might form a good understanding with Hazard that might be deadly, which i think Azpi is incapabable of forming going forward.I rate Azpi very high but am more in favour of a modern full back and Luis is what we just need. Plus he is no slouch in defense!

Perhaps physicality was the wrong word. I think what I meant was aggression. His technique, consistency and stamina are great. But I think he isn't as aggressive as Azpi when marking. I think he should be a nailed on starter for all European games because he seems completely comfortable there, just that he seems a bit shakier with the more physical and aggressive PL.

And at some point, I would love to see our team try Luis and Azpi together as our starting fullbacks.