César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

I might sound pedantic, but I don't think he's done much this season to be deserving of that accolade. Seems very random. He doesn't impress me that much now since it's a much more attacking team.. His job is also simpler than Ivanovic since he's the one defending most of the time and rarely overlaps. IMO, we look more fluent as an attacking force with Luis and Brana.

I might sound pedantic, but I don't think he's done much this season to be deserving of that accolade. Seems very random. He doesn't impress me that much now since it's a much more attacking team.. His job is also simpler than Ivanovic since he's the one defending most of the time and rarely overlaps. IMO, we look more fluent as an attacking force with Luis and Brana.

Yeah because we completely dominated United and QPR..

Neville on Azpilicueta "I don't see him making a mistake". He was caught out of position for Everton's 1st goal earlier this season. I can think of other situations were he's made mistakes that cost us, particularly towards the end of last season. PSG, Sunderland, Atletico etc.

I like Azpilicueta a lot, he's a honest player who has made the most out of the limited skill he has but I'll be honest. He's a great 1 v 1 defender but he's become slightly overrated. Last season, we were a defensive team and it fitted Cesar very well, but like Ramires, he just seems out of place in that left back role in this new Chelsea.

It's unreasonable to make a direct comparison between him and Ivanovic or even Luis because both those players are given license to overlap and help our forward players. Azpilcueta is defending almost all game, so the chances of him getting caught out are minimized greatly. If players like Zabaleta and Ivanovic are given one task to defend, of course they're going to look better than they actually are. At this moment in time, I can't make a case for him starting over Luis, for balance reasons, or for Ivanovic because he's improved his final ball drastically and he's a force of nature when he bombs forward.

Try him at CB, there's not many great CBs around so it might require Mou to think outside the box and do something like this.

He's one of the best 1 on 1 (which is Cahill s weakness) got great positioning, the only weakness he has that could work against him for CB is in the air, but many greats weren't the best. Also his not so great attacking play won't be evident for all to see in central.

we haven't tried Azpi/Luis

Why do people think he's crap offensively? I remember he was decent under Rafa. Obviously he can't go forward so much on the left now too.

The shouts for him at CB are interesting. He isn't a monster in the air but his 1v1 defending is superb, goes in tight and aggressive. But perhaps it sounds better in theory than in actual practice. Although I can't help think that if he were a Bayern player that Pep might actually try this.