César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Defending narrow has always been a feature under Mourinho and I don't even think Azpilicueta has defended so narrow like you're trying to make it out to be, certainly not like Ivanovic who got so incredibly narrow for the Naismith goal for instance. To use this as some sort of excuse to say that it's alright for Hazard not to defend all the time is nonsense. It's a team sport and everyone should be doing their fair share of work, diligently and consistently.

As I pointed out previously, Ribery and Robben showed how you can still be a devastating attacking player while doing your fair share of defensive work under Jupp Heynckes in Bayern's treble winning season. Even Gary Neville also praised them for such qualities and how that should be an example for wide players to follow. If even the best players can do that, then why not Hazard? Like I've been saying all this while, unless he can start producing the end results consistently in the offensive third, he would not be getting a free role in the team just yet.

Moreover, why is it that this notion of "he's an attacking player, he shouldn't be defending" seems only to be used more often on Hazard than anyone else? There have been instances in the past when Schurrle, Willian or Salah failed to defend properly, the first reaction of most people was to blame them for not tracking back/defend properly. Nobody was really saying "he's an attacking player, defending doesn't come naturally to him" like they are now with Hazard.

Well i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. imo Azpi at times will defend to narrow leaving a lot of space on the wing to exploit. I don't know whether that's a tactical guideline by Mourinho or just Azpi's natural reflex because he's a right footed player playing left back. When did i say Hazard shouldn't defend ? I merely stated that Azpi's tendency to defend too narrow makes it more difficult for Hazard.

Not exactly the best example seeing as how Ribery has Alaba bombing forward, supporting him in attack and lessening the burden on ribery. Hazard has no one he's on his own on that left side.

Again when have i ever said Hazard shouldn't defend ?

Well to put it bluntly, because none of them are as good going forward as Hazard.

Look all i'm saying is we should try and look to ease Hazard's defensive duties a little or at the very least offer him some support going forward (Filipe Luis) cause now it's a pretty shitty deal for Hazard.

He has to track the right back all the way into our own 18 yard box and doesn't get any support when going forward. He simply can't keep doing that.

He doesn't have that engine to keep going up and down the line. He's not that type of player.

Are you talking about yesterday? :blink:He didn't lose a single 1vs1. In fact, in the first half, he came out several times and made crucial tackles and interceptions.

I don't think any of our back four are to be blamed for any of the 3 goals we conceded yesterday, except maybe Iva for the third goal as he was supposed to be marking Eto'o.

It seems we were watching different games, because Azi lost many 1vs1 situations, and Cahill lost Mirallas in the first goal, defending was poor in Etoo's goal, and the defense was wide open in the 2nd one. But I already saw that pattern, last season when we conceded 7 goals in 3 matches people were saying any of our back four were to blame for those goals...

For some reason people will criticize Hazard, but will avoid any criticism towards our defenders, even in game when the defense conceded 3 goals and was far from solid,

It seems we were watching different games, because Azi lost many 1vs1 situations, and Cahill lost Mirallas in the first goal, defending was poor in Etoo's goal, and the defense was wide open in the 2nd one. But I already saw that pattern, last season when we conceded 7 goals in 3 matches people were saying any of our back four were to blame for those goals...

For some reason people will criticize Hazard, but will avoid any criticism towards our defenders, even in game when the defense conceded 3 goals and was far from solid,

I think your right.

I don't think hazard not tracking enough is the problem, it's our defense that has been very average at best.

Everton scored two goals from headers, headers!!

I thought Terry and company was dominant in air?

So this is where I believe Mourinho will focus on, defending better set pieces and high crosses.

I also said it in another thread that for me azpi and Felipe will move to each side and Ivan will move to the cb, because cahill and Terry ain't as good as people here hype it up to be.

The main reason they was good last season was because we was defensive. Now that we're trying to be more expansive you can see their frailties.

It's true that Hazard isn't the best at tracking back, much worse than our other wingers, but he isn't that bad. Yesterday he just had a meh game overall. Azpi could have used help, but he wasn't flawless himself. Both should shoulder some of the blame.

Our back four always play too narrow. Even against Leicester both full backs were constantly way to close to the centre backs and when teams counter it leaves us super exposed.

Ivanovic's positioning for Everton's second goal was a joke. This is a consequence of playing a centre back at right back and a right back at left back...

Henrique, on 31 Aug 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Can't remember a single one, and I've watched the match 3 times already. And Cahill didn't lose Mirallas for the first goal because he was never marking him. Cesc was but he didn't track his run into the box. Cahill arguably should have picked him up, but those kind of runs from deep are very hard to defend against when you're standing in one place and your opponent has a good run up on you.

Btw, last season, much like the fans, Jose kept faith in the back 5 and shortly after that we went on an incredible run of conceding very very few goals. Hope the same happens this season as well.

EDIT: I'll write an article tomorrow analyzing the goals that we conceded. For the second goal, while Iva's decision making was far from perfect, he and all of the back four were exposed by a very bizarre positional decision by Matic. He takes the main liability for the goal.

Can't remember a single one, and I've watched the match 3 times already. And Cahill didn't lose Mirallas for the first goal because he was never marking him. Cesc was but he didn't track his run into the box. Cahill arguably should have picked him up, but those kind of runs from deep are very hard to defend against when you're standing in one place and your opponent has a good run up on you.

Btw, last season, much like the fans, Jose kept faith in the back 5 and shortly after that we went on an incredible run of conceding very very few goals. Hope the same happens this season as well.

EDIT: I'll write an article tomorrow analyzing the goals that we conceded. For the second goal, while Iva's decision making was far from perfect, he and all of the back four were exposed by a very bizarre positional decision by Matic. He takes the main liability for the goal.

While our back four did get exposed by our midfield they still should be dealing with these situations a lot better then they have done.

While our back four did get exposed by our midfield they still should be dealing with these situations a lot better then they have done.

Not saying otherwise, but I think the main blame on Saturday lays on the midfield, not the back 4.

Personally, I feel he's had his time at LB. He was fantastic there last season but the novelty is starting to wear off. The way he lost Coleman, (and it's not the first time its happened) is characteristic of a player being played out of position. Way too narrow. He also offers absolutely nothing in attack. Got dominated by Coleman and struggled to make simple forward passes. It's time for Filipe Luis to start, hopefully against Swansea.

I would love to see him attack more, overlap with Hazard, cross etc. Think this is one part of his game that doesnt make him allorund full back, he has to work on that. Besides Hazard would profit hugely if he had LB who can help him in attack. On other side, Hazard doesnt realy help Azpi in defence either.

Im sure this will have to be fixed eventualy, Hazard will have to defend, Azpi will have to help attack. Its how success is done, look at Bayern; Alaba and Ribery. Both attack and defend together.

I would love to see him attack more, overlap with Hazard, cross etc. Think this is one part of his game that doesnt make him allorund full back, he has to work on that. Besides Hazard would profit hugely if he had LB who can help him in attack. On other side, Hazard doesnt realy help Azpi in defence either.

Im sure this will have to be fixed eventualy, Hazard will have to defend, Azpi will have to help attack. Its how success is done, look at Bayern; Alaba and Ribery. Both attack and defend together.

Azpi won't be able to do that comfortably because he isn't naturally left footed or a natural left back.

We can easily see a partnership similar to Alaba - Ribery in Luis - Hazard. Just wait on Filipe to be introduced into the first team XI slowly.