César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Playing Ivanovic will defy all logic. No way he starts ahead of Azpilicueta.

Problem is, there are reasons why Ivanovic has been preferred at RB (even if we had our issues at LB last season, thus playing Azpi in that position).

Playing Ivanovic adds height into the team and gives option to Cech to boot the goal kicks to in those situations. It has helped us to retain possession and build attacks from time to time through that.

Problem is, there are reasons why Ivanovic has been preferred at RB (even if we had our issues at LB last season, thus playing Azpi in that position).

Playing Ivanovic adds height into the team and gives option to Cech to boot the goal kicks to in those situations. It has helped us to retain possession and build attacks from time to time through that.

Yes, Mourinho said that early on last season but the height issue has been less important since Matic joined. Also Filipe Luis is 6 feet tall. It was an issue when we used to play Lampard and Rami in the pivot but not anymore.

Yes, Mourinho said that early on last season but the height issue has been less important since Matic joined. Also Filipe Luis is 6 feet tall. It was an issue when we used to play Lampard and Rami in the pivot but not anymore.

That is true and logically, we can just play Azpi at RB since his lack of height will be compensated by others but given the nature of Mourinho's teams in the past, I'm not absolutely certain that is going to happen. Just like most here, I desperately want to see Azpi at RB but Mourinho might just persist with Ivanovic in that position.

I remember his crosses (in general) quite well, they're only better than Ivanovic's... and many - many, many - of them can be as clueless as Iva's. So he may have a good cross per match, after he made nonsense in the 10 attempted crosses prior to that. Only in TC there's this myth that Cesar can cross. Nowhere else in the internet (and real life) where I see people from Chelsea and Spain talking about him people praise or even talk about his crosses. He's seen as the defensive FB by everyone else but posters here...

I do agree offensive contribution is more than crosses, but the conversation was specific about crosses and I'm not impressed at all. As I said, the guy has literally a handful of them people can remember in the span of two seasons and that's it. It makes him better than Ivanovic, but the few matches he played RB last year didn't change the opinion I had from his first season at all. And when you check his thread or live match threads in those RB matches you see people killing the myth that in the prior season he had a good cross in him. Unless you count one correct in 10 attempts a good crosser.

He can link up, he can make runs, and he has a nice pass on him. That's all nice and dandy and I like it about him, still it was clear in Spain he was the most defensive FB, while Alba had more freedom to go up. I have no doubts Mourinho will adopt the same strategy with him regardless of which side of the pitch he plays. His never-give-up attitude, relentless work rate, impressive defensive abilities and workhorse strength seems to be what Mourinho likes the most about him and is going to be preferred over his very much average cross and far from earth shaking support in the attack in general.

I would love for the plan to be having a more offensive LB so play alongside Hazard and keep Azpili in the right, and moving Iva as a backup whether for CB or LB.

Last but not least, talking FBs with a Brazilian is a completely different beast. We see FB very differently from how you see them in Europe. So you aren't going to convince me Azpilicueta has (as it stands) a good cross in him not even in 10 lifetimes. My reference of a good crosser is the likes of Cafu and Roberto Carlos, Mazinho and Jorginho and even Marcelo and Branco (who weren't that outstanding either, but much superior than those considered good in Europe). So I think our referential is quite different and I as said before, I'm not detracting Azpilicueta. I did vote for him as player of the season in Chelsea Brasil - as I voted for Hazard here and I feel they were equally our players of the season, he's just not even close to what I call a good crosser and while he's neat in the attack I wouldn't list him as an amazing FB going forward, even ignoring his crosses.

I'm happy with the role he's been playing for us. I have no complaint, but I'd love a more offensive FB in the opposite flank to balance him (and the team) out.

Sorry, I'll have to reply to this later. I don't have the time to do so properly right now.

Liar herman.giftongue.png

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny how twitter exists for some time now, yet with Mourinho at the club, only now we see shitload of these pictures of the team and them spending time together. Jose is really doing well creating a great team spirit and a stable dressing room. Absolutely love it!

It's funny how twitter exists for some time now, yet with Mourinho at the club, only now we see shitload of these pictures of the team and them spending time together. Jose is really doing well creating a great team spirit and a stable dressing room. Absolutely love it!

I know Mourinho is great and all but we're suddenly crediting him for creating a great team spirit? Really?! :doh:

I know Mourinho is great and all but we're suddenly crediting him for creating a great team spirit? Really?! :doh:

Well actually I do. Every fucking time he was speaking to the media he promoted that idea, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly. Didier's transfer was also an important part to it. He managed to keep a happy dressing room even after Lampard left, Mata was benched, Torress was benched...almost every time we looked as a team and not as a team of mercenary footballers. Even when we were playing badly or struggling to get the result, team never stopped going for it.

Obviously it's not all Jose, but I can't say he isn't the mastermind behind it all.

Well actually I do. Every fucking time he was speaking to the media he promoted that idea, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly. Didier's transfer was also an important part to it. He managed to keep a happy dressing room even after Lampard left, Mata was benched, Torress was benched...almost every time we looked as a team and not as a team of mercenary footballers. Even when we were playing badly or struggling to get the result, team never stopped going for it.

Obviously it's not all Jose, but I can't say he isn't the mastermind behind it all.

Well if you put it that way...then, okay. :P

Playing Ivanovic will defy all logic. No way he starts ahead of Azpilicueta.

Ivanovic will start at RB against the "big teams" for that extra defensive resilience and assuredness, I reckon. Only time will tell, but José has a soft spot for Branna, as apparent from the fact he wasn't dropped at all last season despite starting it horrifically inconsistently. Fair enough he improved from February onwards, but it was hardly sterling Ivanovic.

He'd be far and away the best RB in the World if he was more comfortable on the ball. Not saying he needs to play like Lahm or bomb down the flanks like Ashley Cole in his prime but a little more composure on the ball to help retain possession would be helpful.

Then again Hazard did nothing to help him defend when Leicester were attacking. If there is one thing that will make us title winners is if team as whole will work together, attack together, defend togeher. That includes Hazard and everyone else.

And Azpi is RB, he is more composed on that side than on left. On left he doesnt even try to go forward.