test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BlueLion.

28. César Azpilicueta

Started by BlueLion.,

2,217 posts in this topic

I think the main reason Kante is finding it harder to adapt offensively is because Azpi is clueless going forward. he never overlaps the winger. He is always flat footed and doesnt take on the opposite fullback. He is so mechanical with his passing and his crossing has not even been that good this season. him being captain will make it hard to bench him like it was when Brana started struggling but im really hoping we upgrade on him next season. City spent over 100m on full backs and it transformed their play so much. In Pep's first season he didnt struggle with the attacking side of the game it was the full backs that were shit. When he upgraded his fullbacks it solidified his defence since he could now no longer be easily caught on the counter becuase his fullbacks have pace to burn and they are physically and technically imposing. If we upgrade our full backs I am almost certain 70 to 90% of our problems right now will be solved. It will give us width, it will mean our central mid fielders are not being pulled all over the place leaving us vulnerable in the middle like we have been. 

Vesper and nachikethas like this

5 minutes ago, Vybzkartel said:

I think the main reason Kante is finding it harder to adapt offensively is because Azpi is clueless going forward. he never overlaps the winger. He is always flat footed and doesnt take on the opposite fullback. He is so mechanical with his passing and his crossing has not even been that good this season. him being captain will make it hard to bench him like it was when Brana started struggling but im really hoping we upgrade on him next season. City spent over 100m on full backs and it transformed their play so much. In Pep's first season he didnt struggle with the attacking side of the game it was the full backs that were shit. When he upgraded his fullbacks it solidified his defence since he could now no longer be easily caught on the counter becuase his fullbacks have pace to burn and they are physically and technically imposing. If we upgrade our full backs I am almost certain 70 to 90% of our problems right now will be solved. It will give us width, it will mean our central mid fielders are not being pulled all over the place leaving us vulnerable in the middle like we have been. 

Great breakdown.

13 hours ago, Vybzkartel said:

A player struggling to adapt in a new system but why not blame someone else because that's a logical thing to do!

Azpinator likes this

14 hours ago, Vybzkartel said:

I don't think that is accurate. Azpi does overlap and whoever played right winger has profitted from that more than they have last season with Moses overlapping. Pedro and Willian both have been very decent so far in interplay with Azpi. I remember him sprinting to the touchline at least 3 times vs Crystal Palace and he is always putting in quality crosses. He might not be the most adventurous dribbler but he is fast, direct and most importantly always tracking back, never out of position. It is his primary duty to defend and he does that very well.  It is not that in Sarris system the fullbacks are overly offensively influential. Look at Hysaj at Napli hardly more offensive output. Rather have it that way than Alonso constantly roaming around the edge of the box. This squad has many problems but Azpi is not one of them. 

His crosses are the same as before, I think, thing is that in 3-4-3 he had MUCH more space to make them. In that setup he had WB (Moses) and RAM (Pedro/Willian) occupying the opposition. Now, he is second on the line, and they are marking him much more tightly.

Crossing from the wing positions takes more than just good cross. You gotta get in good position for cross with good pace/dribbling, and Azpi hasn't got much of that, unfortunately...

Artandur and Vybzkartel like this

haha what are we doing, why are we giving out a new contract to a soon 30 year old FB that doesn't fit our current team. 

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

haha what are we doing, why are we giving out a new contract to a soon 30 year old FB that doesn't fit our current team. 

I don't get this kind of reaction. Azpi may not suit Sarri's approach offensive wise but apart from that, he is a solid and consistent player to have in the team. Even if we were to get a new RB to replace him in the starting XI, there is nothing wrong with making sure we've got a solid backup who can come in and do a job, no? It's kinda crazy that how one change in manager, a change in football style, has made people turn on Azpi. 

mccg, manpe, Johnnyeye and 1 other like this

21 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Is this a joke lol?

Azpinator likes this

Great news, great servant for the club since the day he signed for us, consumate professional, hardworker, plays for the badge,  one of the most vital players to our success in the past 6 years, has been a rock in our defense for many seasons now, he's the right captain to succeed Terry. Cheers and KTBFFH Azpi

IMG_1626.PNG

IMG_1627.PNG

IMG_1628.PNG

On 02/12/2018 at 9:10 PM, manpe said:

Sweet! :getin: Kante down, Azpi down, now Hazard and CHO are left.

Don't build your hopes on hazard signing one 🙁🙁 I think that boat sailed a long time ago 

Johnnyeye, Vesper and Supermonkey92 like this

I have no issues with this as hes a real club man, but the issue I have is based on our lack of quality down either flanks. Alonso has recently renewed and now Azpi, but neither are anywhere near the quality of WB's we need to push up a level.

I also have no faith in the club seeing this and we continue for years with these two. I'm not being detrimental to either, but looking at the big picture and actually seeing the shape of the future. I think both would be good back ups but I'm worried they see these two, even now, as a major key in the cog going forward.

Azpi has been nothing short of immense for us, that I'm not debating at all, what I am debating is we are once again putting loyalty ahead of exactly what this team needs.

kellzfresh, Vesper, kc_blue and 1 other like this

13 tackles. cant recall ever having read such a high stat. and many of them crucial. Sterling beat him every time but Azpi recovered every time too and sneaked the ball from him until Sterling got fed up and only passed the ball backwards every time he faced Azpi. 

My man of the match, love him to bits. Hope he shuts his doubters up sooner rather than later, I know he has it in him to play better than he has sometimes shown this season. This kind of performance should be a reminder of what we would be missing if we didn't have him on the pitch. If there's anybody who deserves time to adapt to this new style, it's him. For me he's a crucial player who needs to play every big game, wouldn't swap him for anyone.

BlueSunshine likes this