César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Starting to think we are actually just playing Azpi at left back for the sake of it. Because, for whatever reason or rather Mourinho's untouchables, Ivanovic can't be dropped, Cole's been playing poorly or just too much, Bertrand not trusted and hence why we're playing Azpi there, just so he gets game time.

http://www.marca.com/2013/11/12/en/football/international_football/1384279767.html

César Azpilicueta is Mourinho's latest invention. At first the Spaniard had a hard time entering into the Portuguese manager's plans, but little by little he has earned himself a place in the Chelsea XI.

The player is a wild card for The Blues. He has played out on the right wing, at right back, and in the last two games has taken over what was Ashley Cole's position at left back. "I decided for Azpilicueta to play against Schalke, and he was fantastic. On Saturday against West Brom he was very good again" Mou pointed out.

The ex Osasuna and Marseille player is delighted with his new flexible role: "I'm playing more and more minutes, and feeling better. As long as I'm playing and am useful to the team, I'm happy. If needs be, I could play at left back all season", he commented to MARCA.

The position isn't totally alien to him: "When I played with Olympique I played there in several games. The automatic moves are the same as out on the right. The biggest handicap is that you don't have a way out with your good foot, but it's something I´m training on and it helps me get better."

Azpilicueta has seen three managers at the helm in Stamford Bridge - Di Matteo, Benítez and now José Mourinho. "Each manager has his own little book and the players, especially the new ones, need some time to adapt. The results aren't as good as we would like them to be, but I am sure that we will very soon improve", the Spaniard assured.

Talking about his own personal game, the instructions he receives from the ex-Real manager are precise: "He asks me to be more solid at the back, to not make mistakes and when I can, to join in the attack".

An article pitting Brana and Dave's stats against each other. Pretty much confirms a lot of people suspicions.

However, it again calls into question why Mourinho is so favourable towards Brana when his aerial ability is the only dominance he really has over Dave. And why Brana is given such liability going forward when it is clear who the better attacker is. Link below.

Ivan-defending-326x410.pngAzpi-defending-321x410.png

Azpi-passing.pngIvan-Passing.png

http://eplindex.com/43776/azpilicueta-v-ivanovic-start-chelsea-stats-compared.html

I find this pretty amusing because statistically, Ivanovic had a better season that Azpilicueta last year and this year pretty easily. (Both Sqwuaka and whoscored have him as significantly better both seasons using only statistics so these stats are well, pretty obviously cherry-picked to come to a conclusion)

And no it's not just in the air. Compare last year's Azpilicueta to this year's Ivanovic.

Percentage of successful tackles- Ivanovic 89%, Azpilicueta-83%

Take on success rate- Ivanovic- 57% success, Azpilicueta-28% success

Headed duels- Ivanovic- 65%, Azpilicueta-44%

Clearances per game- Ivanovic-5.5, Azpilicueta-2.5

Total defensive actions per game-Ivanovic-8, Azpilicueta 5

Ivanovic is clearly a better defensive player. And what's Azpilicueta's big statistical advantage? 0.2 more successful crosses a game? 3% better passing percentage? His passing rate is in the same range and Ivanovic is dangerous on set pieces which Azpilicueta is not. I like Azpilicueta and he deserves to get playing time but Ivanovic like pretty much every player we have over the age of 25, is better than many people on here want to pretend. He's not a good crosser but he has been a good player for us this season as he was last season and the season before and the season before.

The most positive thing about Azpi is the fact he said he is "happy to stay out on the left for the whole season". He just desires minutes on the pitch. What a refreshing attitude, in comparison to whining muppets like Gallas.

Does anyone think Azpi looks a bit bigger or bulkier in comparison to last year?

Anyway, he's been excellent at LB and long may he continue there until Cole gets the finger out. Like Mata he seems to be using his weaker foot much more often too, see he has tried to improved himself a lot by the looks of it physically and technically. Hopefully he'll get a turn at RB at some point too, he's been excellent in the 2 games at LB though.

Does anyone think Azpi looks a bit bigger or bulkier in comparison to last year?

Anyway, he's been excellent at LB and long may he continue there until Cole gets the finger out. Like Mata he seems to be using his weaker foot much more often too, see he has tried to improved himself a lot by the looks of it physically and technically. Hopefully he'll get a turn at RB at some point too, he's been excellent in the 2 games at LB though.

I'd rather see a naturally left-sided player at the LB spot.

I know Bertrand will never be a 9/10 player...but he's a dependable, solid LB who likes to get forward and help out the LW/LAM.

I'd rather see a naturally left-sided player at the LB spot.

I know Bertrand will never be a 9/10 player...but he's a dependable, solid LB who likes to get forward and help out the LW/LAM.

Bertrand is another good shout and for an attacking sense I agree that he should be playing at LB as he can support Hazard/Schurrle but so can Azpi, just against Schalke and West Brom I noticed that he was always tucking in at times so we were defending very narrow, probably tactical instructions more than anything though. He can get forward at times to, just he comes onto his right foot as he prefers it but I agree that Bertrand should get a chance at LB too.

I find this pretty amusing because statistically, Ivanovic had a better season that Azpilicueta last year and this year pretty easily. (Both Sqwuaka and whoscored have him as significantly better both seasons using only statistics so these stats are well, pretty obviously cherry-picked to come to a conclusion)

And no it's not just in the air. Compare last year's Azpilicueta to this year's Ivanovic.

Percentage of successful tackles- Ivanovic 89%, Azpilicueta-83%

Take on success rate- Ivanovic- 57% success, Azpilicueta-28% success

Headed duels- Ivanovic- 65%, Azpilicueta-44%

Clearances per game- Ivanovic-5.5, Azpilicueta-2.5

Total defensive actions per game-Ivanovic-8, Azpilicueta 5

Ivanovic is clearly a better defensive player. And what's Azpilicueta's big statistical advantage? 0.2 more successful crosses a game? 3% better passing percentage? His passing rate is in the same range and Ivanovic is dangerous on set pieces which Azpilicueta is not. I like Azpilicueta and he deserves to get playing time but Ivanovic like pretty much every player we have over the age of 25, is better than many people on here want to pretend. He's not a good crosser but he has been a good player for us this season as he was last season and the season before and the season before.

Stats don't always tell the whole story and I'm sure you are aware of that. All those don't even begin to tell the number of times Ivanovic's defensive deficiencies were exposed in recent times compare to Azpi's.

As far as I can remember, Ivanovic had his worst season ever last year. It certainly seemed that way. Maybe you just remember his goal in the Europa final...think of the amount of times he got caught ball watching as a CB which led to a goal. And Azpi nailed down the RB spot after a couple of months for a reason. Anyway, I don't even know why you want to compare them in the same season when their positions were different...

Ivanovic is clearly a better defensive player. And what's Azpilicueta's big statistical advantage? 0.2 more successful crosses a game?

No actually. If Ivanovic only has a cross completion rate of 16% and Azpi 29% (over many more games) then that pretty much means that Azpi is TWICE the crosser that Brana is. He also creates more chances per minute with 1 every 92mins compared to Ivanovic's 1 every 225mins. Again, this is over more games compared to Brana.

So i'll ask you, if it is clear that Ivanovic is better defensively then why is he allowed to roam forward so much? If he's a better defender, shouldn't he be sitting while Azpi goes forward? Even if Azpi is slightly better (according to you) going forward than him? He can still go up for a set piece and all that can't he?

Mourinho has it the wrong way round as far as I can see. Ivanovic should sit and Azpi go forward.

My only qualm with Azpi at left-back is his positioning. At times, it is horrific. I don't know if it is as noticeable on the television, but I was at the Schalke game last week and I lost count of how many times Schurrle had to run back in fill in at left-back - what Dave does is he plays so tight and narrow to the left-CB, leaving a lot of space down the flank. Now, he is very quick to close down wingers, but it does leave a lot of space to exploit. I guess it's because he isn't as comfortable, but there are some big gaps often left uncovered as he naturally drifts quite central, following the play. A switch of passes and teams can get in behind us with ease.

My only qualm with Azpi at left-back is his positioning. At times, it is horrific. I don't know if it is as noticeable on the television, but I was at the Schalke game last week and I lost count of how many times Schurrle had to run back in fill in at left-back - what Dave does is he plays so tight and narrow to the left-CB, leaving a lot of space down the flank. Now, he is very quick to close down wingers, but it does leave a lot of space to exploit. I guess it's because he isn't as comfortable, but there are some big gaps often left uncovered as he naturally drifts quite central, following the play. A switch of passes and teams can get in behind us with ease.

Maybe so but then again, it could be part of Mourinho's plan in setting up the team. Stay tight, narrow and compact and force them to go out wide. We do get exposed a bit at times but that mainly is what we have been doing this season; force oppposition to go out wide and cross the ball knowing full well the likes of Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic will win majority of the headers.

I'd experiment him in the pivot as the CDM.

Azpi- Rami pivot could be, you know, useful against the likes of ultra attacking sides. Bayern for instance.

Could even try out something like 4-1-4-1

............ Cech...........

Ivan....... Luiz....... Terry..... Cole

............ AZPI....................

Mata...... Rami...... Osc........ Hazard

............. Torres................. ..

Just an opinion. I'll try out this in our next League Cup clash before risking it in the PL.

It's not like we have a great CDM or anything. Worth a try.

That was definitely Mourinho's orders. He was playing like a 3rd CB, and hardly ever went past the half-way line.

Ivanovic on the other hand was given the license to bomb down the wings.

• 2 weeks later...