César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Think people are posting in the wrong place about Luis should start ahead of Azpilicueta at LB in matches like yesterday. Not the latter's fault that he's being played at left back and can't contribute to our attacks.

Yup. If anything, all this should be posted in Jose's thread. Isn't Azpi's fault at all.

It isn't Dave's fault at all.

When we played under Rafa and Di Mateo, Azpi and Cole were our wing men, and the last time we had two natural fulbacks playing on their favourite sides.

Anyone who saw our games can agree we played some of the best football we have played in them times, a big reason was because of having two mobile fulbacks on their favourite sides. Both would press at the same time, push up at the same time, keep the ball easily and create space for our wingers (which helped Eden and Mata a lot).

I've already said about our backline, it really needs sorting next season, it's just unbalanced and is affecting our attacking game.

Azpilicueta has played at RB in certain games this year for Spain, and has performed poorly there; he's looked really uncomfortable. Obviously, the Spain NT plays in a very different style to this year's Chelsea team, so I'm cautious about drawing too many conclusions from these performances, but nevertheless I suspect that Mourinho feels that at this point in time he cannot simply be thrown back in at RB and be relied upon to perform well there. If Azpi shifts back to RB, he's probably going to need a period of time to readjust, and I'd guess that Mourinho views this as impractical given that the we're now well into the season and fighting on all fronts. Which run of games could be used as a testing ground to see if Azpi's still got it at RB? It might be too late for that now in the manager's view, unfortunately.

If the above is the case, then I feel as if it could have been avoided by rotating all three full-backs (not just Azpi/Luis) more frequently during the earlier part of the season so that we'd have had more of an idea as to which full-back combinations work (and which don't) against specific types of opposition. Normally this wouldn't be necessary, but when you have 3 full-backs as good as ours, it's probably the best way to both ensure that they all get adequate game time and to ensure that we possess increased tactical flexibility.

Considering Azpi played against schalke, fact that players need rest; Mou should definately pick Luis for the game ahead of Azpi. Game would be more lively and Luis is still good defender, its not like we would be more vulnerable if Mou picked Luis over Azpi for sunland game...

That was some assist! Perfect first time ball.

His third assist of the season if I'm not mistaken, which would make him our third best assister in the league after Cesc and Oscar (tied with Rami).

Not bad for someone who should be executed for his lack of attacking contribution :P

As I have already mentioned up-thread, I was worried that Azpi might struggle when playing on the right after all his time spent at LB. I was therefore delighted to see him play like that at RB against decent opposition. Other than the moment towards the end of the game when the excellent Carrillo got the better of him in a dangerous position, his performance was almost flawless. I particularly loved his short passing combinations and willingness to play the ball forwards; such a contrast with what he generally does with the ball when at LB.