César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

True,,,but IMO they should bench their central defenders and the goalkeeper before anyone else...Criminal, how Ramos let Van Persie and Robben get past him

Central defenders were a joke but they are more established and Spain have fewer options there. Casillas should never have been starting anyway. De Gea is a much better keeper than he is right now and has been for a couple of years.

All I keep hearing is he is going to move back to RB with Luis at LB and we will romantically be creating 50 chances a game from swashbuckling crosses.

Azpi not looking great going forward last season was not down to the fact he was playing at left back, it was down to the fact he isnt that good at it. Hes ok at link up play down the flank but crossing leaves a lot to be desired.

All I keep hearing is he is going to move back to RB with Luis at LB and we will romantically be creating 50 chances a game from swashbuckling crosses.

Azpi not looking great going forward last season was not down to the fact he was playing at left back, it was down to the fact he isnt that good at it. Hes ok at link up play down the flank but crossing leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, i agree that Azpi isn't that great going forward but he's still better at it then Ivanovic and he's also better at defending.(Ivanovic is great defensively but he allows crosses to come in way to easily)

So for me Azpi is the better RB, only thing Ivanovic has over Azpi is aerial ability.

Also, don't really get the fascination with crosses. Even if we get Costa we'd stil be playing with Hazard Oscar Willian behind him, all players that don't thrive on crosses. They're all players that like the ball at their feet and like to pass the ball around, play quick 1-2's.

He's never had a decent target in the box.

Then we have a problem if the guy he's targeting for Spain is none other than Costa. Either he still doesn't have a target or his crosses are poor.

From what I remember, he only had two crosses against Netherlands, both in the second half and both were pretty good.

People are criticizing his offensive contribution against Netherlands, but he made some excellent runs and was often in acres of space, but for some reason, the midfielders never found him.

Bottom line for me is that he has all the technical ability to contribute offensively, and he also confidence awareness to go forward so there is no reason why he would be poor offensively.

I think it's more like people hoping to get an offensively good left-back like Luis to help unlock Hazard's potential in the final third and then just having Azpi in his own RB position because whichever way we look at it he's still capable of doing a better job there than Ivanovic. We don't need to have full-backs bombing down the wings on both sides, left side will do just fine IMO.

From what I remember, he only had two crosses against Netherlands, both in the second half and both were pretty good.

People are criticizing his offensive contribution against Netherlands, but he made some excellent runs and was often in acres of space, but for some reason, the midfielders never found him.

Bottom line for me is that he has all the technical ability to contribute offensively, and he also confidence awareness to go forward so there is no reason why he would be poor offensively.

still he's never proved to actually be good... fact is he's been in the club for two seasons now and his offensive abilities were never the highlight of his game - if not the downfall. I'm not saying he can't develop it, but the fact is, Cesar is a great and invaluable player, but offensively he's been lacking since he's here, whether in the right or in the left. All people can say is pinpoint a handful good crosses in a couple of years to say he's been able to do it. Fact is, for Spain, he suffered because he didn't have enough defensive support and was caught a few times and did nothing extraordinary - or that really helped the team, offensively. I'm not slamming the guy, I love him and I want to keep him. It doesn't matter if he's a LB or a RB while he plays for us, I love him just the same, but the guy just can't cross (yet).

still he's never proved to actually be good... fact is he's been in the club for two seasons now and his offensive abilities were never the highlight of his game - if not the downfall. I'm not saying he can't develop it, but the fact is, Cesar is a great and invaluable player, but offensively he's been lacking since he's here, whether in the right or in the left. All people can say is pinpoint a handful good crosses in a couple of years to say he's been able to do it. Fact is, for Spain, he suffered because he didn't have enough defensive support and was caught a few times and did nothing extraordinary - or that really helped the team, offensively. I'm not slamming the guy, I love him and I want to keep him. It doesn't matter if he's a LB or a RB while he plays for us, I love him just the same, but the guy just can't cross (yet).

Actually, in his first season, he was invaluable to our offense under the FSW, but for something other than his crossing. He was a vital to us getting the ball from defesne to attack which was by far our biggest issue before Rafa came. He utilized Azpi's good technical ability on the ball to use him in triangles with Luiz and Lampard/Mikel to move the ball beyond the first line of pressure by the opponents. Go back to some of the games that season and you'll see that more often than not he was the player with the most touches on the ball in our team.

Offensive contribution is much more than just crossing. The ability to move the ball and link up smartly and dribble when needed is already a huge plus on what Ivanovic offers. And while his crossing is certainly not the best in the league, he did still manage 4 assists that first season IIRC which is a respectable return for any RB especially that our playing style was the opposite of wing play and using full backs for width. So his crossing can't be that bad.

Actually, in his first season, he was invaluable to our offense under the FSW, but for something other than his crossing. He was a vital to us getting the ball from defesne to attack which was by far our biggest issue before Rafa came. He utilized Azpi's good technical ability on the ball to use him in triangles with Luiz and Lampard/Mikel to move the ball beyond the first line of pressure by the opponents. Go back to some of the games that season and you'll see that more often than not he was the player with the most touches on the ball in our team.

Offensive contribution is much more than just crossing. The ability to move the ball and link up smartly and dribble when needed is already a huge plus on what Ivanovic offers. And while his crossing is certainly not the best in the league, he did still manage 4 assists that first season IIRC which is a respectable return for any RB especially that our playing style was the opposite of wing play and using full backs for width. So his crossing can't be that bad.

I remember his crosses (in general) quite well, they're only better than Ivanovic's... and many - many, many - of them can be as clueless as Iva's. So he may have a good cross per match, after he made nonsense in the 10 attempted crosses prior to that. Only in TC there's this myth that Cesar can cross. Nowhere else in the internet (and real life) where I see people from Chelsea and Spain talking about him people praise or even talk about his crosses. He's seen as the defensive FB by everyone else but posters here...

I do agree offensive contribution is more than crosses, but the conversation was specific about crosses and I'm not impressed at all. As I said, the guy has literally a handful of them people can remember in the span of two seasons and that's it. It makes him better than Ivanovic, but the few matches he played RB last year didn't change the opinion I had from his first season at all. And when you check his thread or live match threads in those RB matches you see people killing the myth that in the prior season he had a good cross in him. Unless you count one correct in 10 attempts a good crosser.

He can link up, he can make runs, and he has a nice pass on him. That's all nice and dandy and I like it about him, still it was clear in Spain he was the most defensive FB, while Alba had more freedom to go up. I have no doubts Mourinho will adopt the same strategy with him regardless of which side of the pitch he plays. His never-give-up attitude, relentless work rate, impressive defensive abilities and workhorse strength seems to be what Mourinho likes the most about him and is going to be preferred over his very much average cross and far from earth shaking support in the attack in general.

I would love for the plan to be having a more offensive LB so play alongside Hazard and keep Azpili in the right, and moving Iva as a backup whether for CB or LB.

Last but not least, talking FBs with a Brazilian is a completely different beast. We see FB very differently from how you see them in Europe. So you aren't going to convince me Azpilicueta has (as it stands) a good cross in him not even in 10 lifetimes. My reference of a good crosser is the likes of Cafu and Roberto Carlos, Mazinho and Jorginho and even Marcelo and Branco (who weren't that outstanding either, but much superior than those considered good in Europe). So I think our referential is quite different and I as said before, I'm not detracting Azpilicueta. I did vote for him as player of the season in Chelsea Brasil - as I voted for Hazard here and I feel they were equally our players of the season, he's just not even close to what I call a good crosser and while he's neat in the attack I wouldn't list him as an amazing FB going forward, even ignoring his crosses.

I'm happy with the role he's been playing for us. I have no complaint, but I'd love a more offensive FB in the opposite flank to balance him (and the team) out.

I remember his crosses (in general) quite well, they're only better than Ivanovic's... and many - many, many - of them can be as clueless as Iva's. So he may have a good cross per match, after he made nonsense in the 10 attempted crosses prior to that. Only in TC there's this myth that Cesar can cross. Nowhere else in the internet (and real life) where I see people from Chelsea and Spain talking about him people praise or even talk about his crosses. He's seen as the defensive FB by everyone else but posters here...

I do agree offensive contribution is more than crosses, but the conversation was specific about crosses and I'm not impressed at all. As I said, the guy has literally a handful of them people can remember in the span of two seasons and that's it. It makes him better than Ivanovic, but the few matches he played RB last year didn't change the opinion I had from his first season at all. And when you check his thread or live match threads in those RB matches you see people killing the myth that in the prior season he had a good cross in him. Unless you count one correct in 10 attempts a good crosser.

He can link up, he can make runs, and he has a nice pass on him. That's all nice and dandy and I like it about him, still it was clear in Spain he was the most defensive FB, while Alba had more freedom to go up. I have no doubts Mourinho will adopt the same strategy with him regardless of which side of the pitch he plays. His never-give-up attitude, relentless work rate, impressive defensive abilities and workhorse strength seems to be what Mourinho likes the most about him and is going to be preferred over his very much average cross and far from earth shaking support in the attack in general.

I would love for the plan to be having a more offensive LB so play alongside Hazard and keep Azpili in the right, and moving Iva as a backup whether for CB or LB.

Last but not least, talking FBs with a Brazilian is a completely different beast. We see FB very differently from how you see them in Europe. So you aren't going to convince me Azpilicueta has (as it stands) a good cross in him not even in 10 lifetimes. My reference of a good crosser is the likes of Cafu and Roberto Carlos, Mazinho and Jorginho and even Marcelo and Branco (who weren't that outstanding either, but much superior than those considered good in Europe). So I think our referential is quite different and I as said before, I'm not detracting Azpilicueta. I did vote for him as player of the season in Chelsea Brasil - as I voted for Hazard here and I feel they were equally our players of the season, he's just not even close to what I call a good crosser and while he's neat in the attack I wouldn't list him as an amazing FB going forward, even ignoring his crosses.

I'm happy with the role he's been playing for us. I have no complaint, but I'd love a more offensive FB in the opposite flank to balance him (and the team) out.

Sorry, I'll have to reply to this later. I don't have the time to do so properly right now.

• 5 weeks later...