Oscar

themightyblue

Didn't watch the game but not surprised at all tbh.

Likewise. Yet to watch the replay, but I wasn't expecting anything other than one or two nice-looking flicks and a lack of ball retention from Oscar in this game.

We know his output against the better teams is significantly poorer than against the weaker teams, and I have no doubt that he wasn't supposed to play this game. If Cesc hadn't been injured, I'm sure Oscar would have found himself on the bench for this one.

Jose would never play Oscar 300 minutes in 8 days unless he had no choice - like he did on this occasion.

It's disappointing that he did nothing, but knowing his record against the good teams and the fact that he wasn't supposed to be playing, we should have been prepared for this.

That said, as others have stated, the Cuadrado signing now places real pressure on Oscar to keep his spot, and it will no longer be excusable for him to not perform in the big games, regardless of how tired he is etc.

I think a rational fan would have been calling for them both to be replaced, and would have been doing it for a long time.

It is not rational to suggest Oscar should be replaced, he has had a good season overall. He has played a major role in our success this season. He has had critical performance, goals and assist that often been a difference. If he can replicate his Aug-Jan performance in the second half, that is a fantastic season. If he has a sup par second half like last season, then I might agree that we should consider an upgrade.

Btw What is your expectation for Oscar? And when you say he is not good enough who are you comparing him to?

I would like to hear anyone answer.

Btw in no way I am excusing his performance tonight, but let's keep perspective 1. We played a very negative approach 2. He played 120m 3-4 days ago. 3. It was still one game

I said days before the match - just after the match against Liverpool ended actually, that he should be dropped from the team today because playing 210 minutes within four days would harm his presentation because he just can't cope with this amount of football especially in the second half of the season.

I was expecting him to be really bad and he was exactly that.

BUT I don't think it's that much fair to judge him on his quality, ability, etc... given the circumstances. He already showed that he has inconsistency issues that he needs to work on and other limitations to his game, but Mourinho only played him today because he literally had no other option... Mourinho played him twice in the cups games planning on have Ramires and Cesc for this game and bench Oscar. He wasn't counting with Cesc's injury and as a result Oscar was battered and except for the last ten minutes, it looked like we played with ten because he did absolutely nothing.

Like Matic said (according to some, I didn't see post match interviews) players aren't robots, they get tired, even more players such as Oscar who aren't physically on par with the demands of the league. He struggles when he plays too many minutes in such a short streak of time. I said it before the match and I'm not surprised at all with his terrible performance.

You are a very intelligent lady. You keep opening up new perspectives to me and it's such a relief to know this little bit more. I noticed everybody's touch was heavy and slow, but Oscar was missing completely now that it has been brought up, I too can't remember him at all.

It is not rational to suggest Oscar should be replaced, he has had a good season overall. He has played a major role in our success this season. He has had critical performance, goals and assist that often been a difference. If he can replicate his Aug-Jan performance in the second half, that is a fantastic season. If he has a sup par second half like last season, then I might agree that we should consider an upgrade.

Btw What is your expectation for Oscar? And when you say he is not good enough who are you comparing him to?

I would like to hear anyone answer.

Btw in no way I am excusing his performance tonight, but let's keep perspective 1. We played a very negative approach 2. He played 120m 3-4 days ago. 3. It was still one game

I've posted my thoughts on Oscar earlier in the thread. The answers you've asked for might be in those although you and I both suspect that you won't agree with them. :)

Meanwhile something with which I disagree is the claim that Oscar has had a good season. In my opinion, he has not. I know the statistics of course but they do not persuade me to disregard what I see with my own eyes. I am persuaded however that if we upgrade Oscar, his replacement will also complete a few passes, put in some tackles, set up chances and score the odd goal. I know I keep repeating The Matic/Mikel comparison but I truly believe it's appropriate...

The argument used to rage about Mikel and various stats were paraded in his defence. Those of us who were dissatisfied with him were patronised mercilessly and told that we didn't know enough about football to understand what it was that made Mikel the right solution for Chelsea. Eventually Mikel was replaced of course and that argument died almost immediately. Sooner or later Oscar will be replaced too and this argument will die just as quickly.

I have never said, and I'm not saying now, that Oscar is a poor player. What I am saying is that Chelsea's ambitions require exceptional footballers. Oscar is not one.

I expect him to be dropped in big games. Especially away from home. That is why I am happy with the signing of Cuadrado. The counter-attacking threat of Hazard, Willian and Cuadrado will scare the life out of teams.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say He wouldn't make the bench of the big European teams. I don't see which AM he's good enough to bench at Madrid,Bayern,Barca and even City.
Normally the first choice attacking midfielder of a top club is one of the few players that the opposition managers worry the most about and devise a tactical plan to stop. These are the player that pull the string and destabilise the opposition defence and disrupt their tactical plan. That's the level we need to aspire to.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say He wouldn't make the bench of the big European teams. I don't see which AM he's good enough to bench at Madrid,Bayern,Barca and even City.

On the flip side City fans probably say the exact same about Navas, Madrid fans probably say it about Carvahal or however you spell his name, Barca fans Rakitic etc etc.

On the flip side City fans probably say the exact same about Navas, Madrid fans probably say it about Carvahal or however you spell his name, Barca fans Rakitic etc etc.

Wrong on Carvajal and Rakitic as they are one of the best performers at their respective clubs this season while Navas has flattered to decieve, City have other options like Nasri and Milner.

I expect him to be dropped in big games. Especially away from home. That is why I am happy with the signing of Cuadrado. The counter-attacking threat of Hazard, Willian and Cuadrado will scare the life out of teams.

Big teams press us more, Oscar is the worst of our attacking midfielders under pressure. He clearly suffers and ends up losing the ball a lot under pressure. Maybe he can improve, he's still has years ahead of him, comparing how Carzola could control the ball under city pressure and oscar in big matches you see a huge difference. Hopefully cuadrado is better than him in tight spaces and under pressure.

I'm against to rule him out completely, because he is still useful against mid and small teams. But agree, he should be dropped against big teams, because I prefer we play 433. Actually he still could involved, if he is playing more deeper role though.

I think we should See him for what he is, a good player against poor to decent teams. Bring in the big guns and he quickly reduces down to a player that wastes a space in the 11. I think he's a major culprit and my worries if our midfield in big games. Matic almost has to be a one man band in most big games, especially as Fabregas isn't that athletic. I think willian will move to the centre for the rest I'd the season (in big games) and if it still doesn't go as planned another midfielder (not a number 10 though) will he bought in the summer. That would be my planning.

He had a bad game no doubt. But why is the openion of Willian is higher then Oscar on this forum?

Any rationale fan would conclude that Oscar has had a much better season, and it is not even close. While Oscar was a passenger tonight, Willian has been a passanger all season.

Oscar plays in his favorite position. Willian doesn't.

Pretty sure Willian would be a totally different player for us if we play him in the middle. At least he can shield the ball and play with his back to the goal. "number 10 role" 101.

Oscar plays in his favorite position. Willian doesn't.

Pretty sure Willian would be a totally different player for us if we play him in the middle. At least he can shield the ball and play with his back to the goal. "number 10 role" 101.

Jose did drop Oscar last season and try this, no doubt from shear desperation. It didn't work especially well.

To be fair to Willian, we didn't have Costa or Fabregas then, and you can add Cuadrado into the mix now as well.

I think Willian is a better complimentary player than Oscar because he does the basics better, something which was crystal clear in yesterday's game.

Fabregas - Matic

Cuadrado - Willian - Hazard

Costa

Interesting to see how that works.

Very fair point.

To be fair to Willian, we didn't have Costa or Fabregas then, and you can add Cuadrado into the mix now as well.

I think Willian is a better complimentary player than Oscar because he does the basics better, something which was crystal clear in yesterday's game.

Fabregas - Matic

Cuadrado - Willian - Hazard

Costa

Interesting to see how that works.
The problem with willian is I'm not sure his goal tally would improve up to Oscars level. Still think he's not as creative as oscar considering his goal/assists contribution, maybe its because he prefers being in the middle though.

The problem with willian is I'm not sure his goal tally would improve up to Oscars level. Still think he's not as creative as oscar considering his goal/assists contribution, maybe its because he prefers being in the middle though.

I think its mainly for the big games, Oscar is just too quiet there. In the other games Oscar should still be the main guy for the CAM position.

Oscar is not the only one who goes missing in big games, so does Cesc. IDK maybe Mou negative approach has something to do with it. The most positive we played in a big game was against arsenal, confidently both were fantastic and Oscar was by many considerd MOTM.