Oscar

themightyblue

He played well in the 2nd half, he must of got a bollocking at half time. In the first half he was completely invisible, he looked lost. I can only recall 3/4 times he was even on the ball, 2 of which he lost possession due to sloppy play.

Thanks WHS,

I haven't seen it on telly yet but, given my overall view of Oscar, I always try to be aware of how he's doing. I thought he contributed some good things even before half time. I can't quote any examples but I remember feeling, early on, that he had started well. Yes, I agree that he disappeared for a time but my main impression was that his output was decent.

He was one of the worst players on the pitch yesterday. Last January Oscar got dropped for Ramires in City game and this season more than likely the same scenario will happen. As much as I wish to see this lad grow and develop into a Chelsea legend, I just can't see that happening. The way he sometimes switches off and is not played in big games is a concern. I'm almost certain that in few years we have replaced Oscar with someone else (Pogba, Koke etc.) or with Willian playing the no 10 whilst we have a new winger (Cuadrado?).

A very fair analysis I think.

Morning Yuvala,

I'm quite surprised that you say this. I may be among Oscar's biggest critics but I felt he had a decent game last night. Yes some of the weaknesses we know about, like the one Thor talked about last week, were again on show but not as noticeably as they often are. What's more, I thought that the things he is good at were on display. For example, there were some nice, first time, 'round the corner' passes which created good situations and, pleasingly, an acceptable number of his more considered passes also found their targets.

My overall opinion remains the same; we would benefit from finding an Oscar upgrade but, credit where's it's due, he did well last night.

I dont agree, I think it wasn't a good game from him.

Better in the 2nd half but overall not good enough.

I dont agree, I think it wasn't a good game from him.

Better in the 2nd half but overall not good enough.

OK. When I get the chance, I'll watch the CTV rerun and see if my first impression was wrong. I am often unhappy with Oscar but I wasn't last night.

Its all about perception aint it ?

Last night was a fantastic game of proper football, had averything apart from a glut of goals and all played their hearts out. However if I had to single one out who was below par it would be Oscar.

Thought he was very similar to the other CAMs, including Hazard.

William in the second half and overtime was the better one for me, but all of them had very little to no contribution up front. Oscar had a couple of assists in the first half, one of which he found Costa in the box, but Costa tried a fist time shot which was blocked.

Costa was good in his overall play, but not so great with finishing (both assists and shots). Similar to Hazard as well.

I am beginning to realize people around here respond to flashiness and dribbles, but not so much the end product. Oscar will never be that player, of the flashy dribbling, but the simple passes and the through balls here and there.

Thought he was very similar to the other CAMs, including Hazard.

William in the second half and overtime was the better one for me, but all of them had very little to no contribution up front. Oscar had a couple of assists in the first half, one of which he found Costa in the box, but Costa tried a fist time shot which was blocked.

Costa was good in his overall play, but not so great with finishing (both assists and shots). Similar to Hazard as well.

I am beginning to realize people around here respond to flashiness and dribbles, but not so much the end product. Oscar will never be that player, of the flash dribbling, but the simple passes and the through balls here and there.

There's a reason for that, "flashiness and dribbles" creates far more chances then "simple passes and a throughball here and there."

There's a reason for that, "flashiness and dribbles" creates far more chances then "simple passes and a throughball here and there."

disagree - chances can be created any number of ways. dribbles MAY create chances.

There are a lot of inconsequential dribbles out there. The difference between the better and the not so great players is that the better ones consistently create chances.

The difference between Hazard and Messi is that Messi dribbles lead to goals while Hazard's less often. Hazard is a great player right now, but to even be considered among Messi and Ronaldo he has to up his game big time.

disagree - chances can be created any number of ways. dribbles MAY create chances.

There are a lot of inconsequential dribbles out there. The difference between the better and the not so great players is that the better ones consistently create chances.

The difference between Hazard and Messi is that Messi dribbles lead to goals while Hazard's less often. Hazard is a great player right now, but to even be considered among Messi and Ronaldo he has to up his game big time.

Hazard A.K.A "flashiness and dribbles" creates more chances then Oscar A.K.A "simple passes and throughball here and there".

That was my point as your last sentence in your post seemed to indicate that you were annoyed with the fact that flashiness and dribbles (Hazard) was getting more recognition then simple passes and throughballs (Oscar). Maybe i misinterpreted ?

There are indeed but i was talking more specifically about Hazard's dribbling(and flashiness) in comparison with Oscar's qualities.

I think we can agree though that a lot of Hazard's dribbles aren't inconsequential. A lot of his dribbles create danger,create space, create chances.

True but in all fairness Messi and C. Ronaldo are both out of category. Apart from those 2 there really isn't anyone else that can get close to their level of consistency and amount of goals achieved/scored in the last couple of years.

When comparing Hazard i think it's best to compare him to the "lesser gods" below Messi and Ronaldo (Robben, Ribery,...). I don't think he's far behind those players. I would even argue that he's been just as good as them this season.

Belgiannutt, you are clearly a fan... nothing wrong with that, but I don't agree much with what you wrote. For me Hazard is very very far from those two. I honestly don't think he can even reach messi as Messi was already pretty unplayable at Hazard's age.

No we respond to productivity,all round performance and consistency. He may have respectable level of productivity so far this season but he seriously lacks the other two. Even in some games where he scores/assist a goal, his all round performance has been woeful or average at best.

Younger players are less consistent and I feel Oscar is being constantly judged as a senior player, even when his manager himself says he's work in progress. Even when his peers, most his senior, do not produce consistently either.

Some players do nothing and do not get criticized because they are elegant, flashy, and dribble. Oscar on the other hand has a pretty good number of assists and goals, but is constantly criticized. Assists and goals speak for themselves.

If you really want to look for mediocrity, look no further than the senior players we've got who can't consistently break into the starting XI.