Oscar

themightyblue

There are no Ozil/Oscar hybrids in football. It's the one or the other. Mourinho let Mata and De Bruyne go and kept Oscar, never buying any replacements. Some don't seem to want to accept it but it's obvious Mourinho doesn't want a typical #10. Maybe he'll change his mind though.

In the past, I didn't think Hazard had the right level of tactical awareness and maturity to play in the middle. So many attacking players want to play in the middle nowadays, but not many are actually capable. But Hazard has shown quite a raise in his tactical awareness (his positioning and in his decision-making) this season imo. His dribbles have a lot more purpose as well. He's more direct towards goal, there's more at the end of it, instead of just getting past players a lot of times. And he's taking more and more responsibility. I'd like to see him in the middle, with Willian on the left and Oscar on the right, with the freedom to move around of course. But let Willian and Oscar provide width when needed and support the fullbacks when defending.

I doubt it will happen though.

I prefer Hazard on the wing. He has less people to beat there. Playing him through the middle would make it easier to defend against him. Besides, if we play Oscar and Willian on the wings, most of our attacking threat would be through the centre where Hazard and Fabregas are. We would be very predictable and narrow.

I prefer Hazard on the wing. He has less people to beat there. Playing him through the middle would make it easier to defend against him. Besides, if we play Oscar and Willian on the wings, most of our attacking threat would be through the centre where Hazard and Fabregas are. We would be very predictable and narrow.

The current set up is already very narrow though. Oscar and Willian on the wings would make it possible to play Azpi and Luis, without worrying too much about possible exposure at the back, who could then provide the needed extra width. Azpi is now the guy who 'can't attack' but I bet you he'll be a lot more capable of contributing offensively on his natural flank.

Hazard's dribbling would be easier to defend (though I'm convinced most still won't be able to stop him as his control is too tight and his dribbling is too varied for them to deal with) but his goal threat would increase and his passing game would be of much better use to the team. He'll be able to set up his team mates a lot more with a greater role in the middle.

Either way, Eden's current role is fine. This is just a bit of fantasy on my part, though I think it could work. Ideally, someone like Reus would join, which would make the switch work out better for the collective. Oscar doesn't seem to able to deal with the responsibility. Not strange at this level at his age, even if he was of a higher talent bracket, but it does hurt the team.

This. Most players don't hit their primes till mid to late twenties. With the exception of the very best, that's usually when it is. He has time.

I hope he spends all that time he has on the bench and we buy a proper number 10.

His vacations this season started earlier.

Koke is probably as close as it comes. We were apparently interested in him before we got Fabregas but I think he'll end up at Barcelona.

Mehh, Koke's not a playmaker. He's a good passer but not someone who dictates play and sets the tempo. And his ability to create chances is mostly the result of his awesome crossing and set-piece delivery. He's a dynamic, all-round footballer. Wonderful talent. Barca can't get anyone until 2016. If he does decide to leave (he seems to be very happy at Atletico though), I think Chelsea has a shot. The presence of Courtois, Luis and Costa (and Cesc and Azpi) helps a lot.

Mehh, Koke's not a playmaker. He's a good passer but not someone who dictates play and sets the tempo. And his ability to create chances is mostly the result of his awesome crossing and set-piece delivery. He's a dynamic, all-round footballer. Wonderful talent. Barca can't get anyone until 2016. If he does decide to leave (he seems to be very happy at Atletico though), I think Chelsea has a shot. The presence of Courtois, Luis and Costa (and Cesc and Azpi) helps a lot.

Yeah, many people have the misconception that Koke is a creative playmaker. He isn't. Most of the chances he creates are from set pieces. Oscar actually creates more chances than him from open play.

Koke creates 0.7 chances per game from open play. Oscar creates 1.6 chances per game from open play.

In comparison, Eden creates 2.4 chances per game and Cesc creates 2.3 chances per game from open play.

Koke is not what many people think he is. He wouldn't add more creativity than Oscar.

Atletico set out to attack through counter attacks and high turnovers rather than through dominating possession so Koke isn't really given the opportunity to dictate play. I think he has the ability to do it but either way I don't think we'll get him - he'll be at least £40m and will probably not leave until after 2016 when Barca will be very strongly competiting for his signature.

Yeah, many people have the misconception that Koke is a creative playmaker. He isn't. Most of the chances he creates are from set pieces. Oscar actually creates more chances than him from open play. Koke creates 0.7 chances per game from open play. Oscar creates 1.6 chances per game from open play. In comparison, Eden creates 2.4 chances per game and Cesc creates 2.3 chances per game from open play. Koke is not what many people think he is. He wouldn't add more creativity than Oscar.

We dominate possession in the majority of our games a lot more than Atletico do so it's inevitable that Oscar creates more open play chances than Koke. I think it's a misleading stat as it does give the impression that Oscar is the more creative player which is not true imo.

Atletico set out to attack through counter attacks and high turnovers rather than through dominating possession so Koke isn't really given the opportunity to dictate play. I think he has the ability to do it but either way I don't think we'll get him - he'll be at least £40m and will probably not leave until after 2016 when Barca will be very strongly competiting for his signature.

We dominate possession in the majority of our games a lot more than Atletico do so it's inevitable that Oscar creates more open play chances than Koke. I think it's a misleading stat as it does give the impression that Oscar is the more creative player which is not true imo.

Koke isn't exactly a creative force when he plays for Spain and Spain completely dominate possession. In the games I watched him play in 4-3-3 midfield with Busquets and Cesc, Koke looked out of place and seemed to be struggling. He's a talented lad, but I've seen nothing from him that suggests he's particularly creative or can dictate play. He's not a playmaker. He's a very good midfielder, but he's not a creative playmaker.

We actually don't have a lot more possession than Atletico do. Atletico have the average possession of 52%. We have the average possession of 56%. The difference is negligible to explain Koke's little creativity from open play. Hell, even Matic creates 0.6 chances per game playing a DM, which is almost the same amount of chances Koke creates from open play.

I'm not a big fan of Oscar, but he's not less creative than Koke. Koke's set pieces boost his stats a lot. And he's more hyped than Oscar.

Koke isn't exactly a creative force when he plays for Spain and Spain completely dominate possession. In the games I watched him play in 4-3-3 midfield with Busquets and Cesc, Koke looked out of place and seemed to be struggling. He's a talented lad, but I've seen nothing from him that suggests he's particularly creative or can dictate play. He's not a playmaker. He's a very good midfielder, but he's not a creative playmaker.

We actually don't have a lot more possession than Atletico do. Atletico have the average possession of 52%. We have the average possession of 56%. The difference is negligible to explain Koke's little creativity from open play. Hell, even Matic creates 0.6 chances per game playing a DM, which is almost the same amount of chances Koke creates from open play.

I'm not a big fan of Oscar, but he's not less creative than Koke. Koke's set pieces boost his stats a lot. And he's more hyped than Oscar.

I don't think the Spanish NT is the best way to judge a player's creativity. Koke is a very direct player a la Cesc and when I've watched Spain recently it seems like they still don't know whether they want to play a more direct style to accomate the likes of Costa and Koke or whether they want to play their tika-taka football. Where are you getting your stats from by the way and do you have a detailed breakdown because I suspect we dominate possession in the final third much more than they do.

You can't just ignore set pieces because that's a huge part of Koke and Atletico's game. You see it with us even - when Costa and Luis get to the byline they will very often just hit it against the defender wanting to win a corner (all players do this of course but I've noticed Atletico players tend to do it a lot). If Oscar was that good from set pieces he'd be a hell of a lot more useful. Koke does all the defensive work Oscar does and still does more going forward relative to the demands of his team whereas Oscar is often a passenger attacking-wise. I would swap them in a heartbeat.

Edited by The Chels

I don't think the Spanish NT is the best way to judge a player's creativity. Koke is a very direct player a la Cesc and when I've watched Spain recently it seems like they still don't know whether they want to play a more direct style to accomate the likes of Costa and Koke or whether they want to play their tika-taka football. Where are you getting your stats from by the way and do you have a detailed breakdown because I suspect we dominate possession in the final third much more than they do.

You can't just ignore set pieces because that's a huge part of Koke and Atletico's game. You see it with us even - when Costa and Luis get to the byline they will very often just hit it against the defender wanting to win a corner (all players do this of course but I've noticed Atletico players tend to do it a lot). If Oscar was that good from set pieces he'd be a hell of a lot more useful. Koke does all the defensive work Oscar does and still does more going forward relative to the demands of his team whereas Oscar is often a passenger attacking-wise. I would swap them in a heartbeat.

Yeah, Spanish NT is a mess at the moment, but still, he doesn't seem to do all that well when he has a lot of possession.

Actually, according to WhoScored, we and Atletico have practically identical "Action Zones": 31% in the attacking third. I know that Koke creates the majority of Atletico's goals from set pieces, but that doesn't make Koke a creative playmaker - it makes him a great set piece taker, is all. We aren't doing too bad in that regard either, but unlike Atletico, we score a lot more goals from open play too. And in open play Koke doesn't bring that much to the team. The fact that Atletico scored 12 goals from open play in half a season is very poor, regardless of their set pieces - we scored 30, with about the same amount of possession as Atletico. It says nothing good about Atletico players' creativity.

Look, I know where you're coming from - Oscar isn't the most creative player around and I'd be happy if we get someone who could offer more in attack, but Koke isn't the answer. Oscar has his flaws, but he created 27 chances from open play this season. Koke created just a bit over 10. Regardless of Koke's superiority in set pieces, he should do more in open play to be called a playmaker. Cesc has created over 40 chances from open play in addition to the set piece chances. That's what a playmaker is supposed to do.