Oscar

themightyblue

Although I understand with the reason all Brazillians disappointed of Silva when penalties take place against Chile, do you think a captain, if he think he is mentally not ready to take a penalty should take it instead and risk the team? A strongest captain is still human afterall. And Scolari who made the decision anyway, and it turn out to be succesful and Brazil advanced. Job done, I think that should be no issue there.

Or do you more appreciated him to do it, well realized he is not up to it and could missed and then Brazil might failed, rather than he admitted he is not ready to the manager, trusted the rest of team mates who is mentally more ready at that point, which one do you prefer?

Well, I thought there is no issue afterall within the Brazil dressing room after that match. Silva do the right things after that match as a captain and lead the team to beat Colombia.

About Luiz, yes no doubt he is a quite good as a FK taker, very aggresive going forward, etc. But he is, as you agree too, bad positioning, tactics, etc as a defender. Ok, might be harsh to call him terrible, but he is certainly not the best one as a defender.

What do you mean 'because then we go into the "I know better than the transfer market/world/professionals" type of thing'?

Why I get the impression you talk about 50 millions move to PSG, and the way you said it, let me ask this, do you think he is worthed 50 millions as a defender?

Please don't make it about the 50m paid by PSG-that's a technicality-but merely the options and interest that other players simply don't entice. The message is obvious, he has value. I personally don't ignore this information ymmv.

I wasn't referring to kicking the pk or not - really couldn't care less about that.

Ramires was meh, and could have been sent off for a bad tackle on Cuadrado (this guy can dribble anyone)

Luis played the full game, he was solid defensively and made at least 2 important tackles to stop Colombia on the counter. In attack he tried to support but Neymar didn't really use him, just cut inside whenever Luis overlapped. Oscar played him in once though and his shot was tapped in by Tardelli, but the lino wrongly (according to commentators) ruled Luis offside.

Oscar did pretty well by his standard. Not only the aforementioned through ball to Luis, he also made a sick backheel to Tardelli in the box.

Willian was quiet, but he used his pace to create 2 openings. One which Neymar couldn't make the most out of, and another which Oscar messed up with an awful finish.

as I didn't watch, I'll ask further - what is 'play pretty well by his standard'? Could you elaborate more, please?

Oscar's standards the second half last season was pretty bad.

You mean he helped the team, but didn't play as a creative #10 as he isn't one?

Take care of yourself old boy. Apologies if you ever felt anything I said was personal. You're a great fella and remind me a lot of so many of the old boys who brought me up at the Bridge.

you too and THANKS ,,, I enjoyed MOST of your posts .. No one is perfect though I'M quite close .

be well friend

as I didn't watch, I'll ask further - what is 'play pretty well by his standard'? Could you elaborate more, please?

Oscar's standards the second half last season was pretty bad.

You mean he helped the team, but didn't play as a creative #10 as he isn't one?

My biggest problem with Oscar is always the lack of production in attack. But yesterday i thought he did better than normal, while still playing like a 3rd CM.

Ramires was meh, and could have been sent off for a bad tackle on Cuadrado (this guy can dribble anyone)

Luis played the full game, he was solid defensively and made at least 2 important tackles to stop Colombia on the counter. In attack he tried to support but Neymar didn't really use him, just cut inside whenever Luis overlapped. Oscar played him in once though and his shot was tapped in by Tardelli, but the lino wrongly (according to commentators) ruled Luis offside.

Oscar did pretty well by his standard. Not only the aforementioned through ball to Luis, he also made a sick backheel to Tardelli in the box.

Willian was quiet, but he used his pace to create 2 openings. One which Neymar couldn't make the most out of, and another which Oscar messed up with an awful finish.

we've watched the very same game apparently.

Still cannot believe Scolari did not take Luis and started him as a LB which would allow him to use Marcelo in the middle/wing too.

Brazil defense was really good as Colombia were only able to threaten with long shots.

Tardeli is just another Jo... local boy who has no business playing for Brazil.... Jefferson looked very solid, but only tested by those long shots.

If Oscar scored the goal, he'd be MoTM, but he did not so he was subpar - sounds harsh but that's football. He had creative moments like you said, but his pass completion in the final third was not good enough. Has to work on that.

IMO Brazil were not good enough simply because Colombia is an OK side - like I had said during the world cup. Chile for example are superior side and there are a handful who are way above this standard (of Brazil and Chile). You remove Neymar from the Brazil and there is little up front.

we've watched the very same game apparently.

Still cannot believe Scolari did not take Luis and started him as a LB which would allow him to use Marcelo in the middle/wing too.

Brazil defense was really good as Colombia were only able to threaten with long shots.

Tardeli is just another Jo... local boy who has no business playing for Brazil.... Jefferson looked very solid, but only tested by those long shots.

If Oscar scored the goal, he'd be MoTM, but he did not so he was subpar - sounds harsh but that's football. He had creative moments like you said, but his pass completion in the final third was not good enough. Has to work on that.

IMO Brazil were not good enough simply because Colombia is an OK side - like I had said during the world cup. Chile for example are superior side and there are a handful who are way above this standard (of Brazil and Chile). You remove Neymar from the Brazil and there is little up front.

Yeah it was the best Brazil defence i've seen in a while. They played deep and didn't allow anything in behind or from the sides. Maicon and Luis were also very disciplined - when one went forward, the other stayed back.

I liked Tardelli though, he at least can play football and is fast. But he looks like the type who partners another striker, not a lone striker. Brazil don't have anyone better though, so they have to manage.