Oscar

themightyblue

Actually in the Confed Cup Scorali used Oscar brilliantly. The best Oscar played in the last two years imo, even compared to his first months for us last season.

right, but Conf Cup are friendlies. Honestlly we've overemphasized what Brazil did in that "competition." Against, as we know now, very poor opposition.

Employing an immobile striker, such as Fred, also worked there. In a far more dynamic and demanding competition, WC, Fred vanished; taking the spot of a real player and making Brazil weaker as a result.

By looking good against a team who had the wind knocked out of them with the Costa goal and were tiring after 70 minutes?

3 minutes after Willian came on they bought on Taylor-Fletcher, a man who is clearly about a stone too heavy to be a professional footballer. Maybe not the sternest of tests?

Im not suggesting this just on one game. Since the turn of the year Willian has been the better player.

Not everyone has to agree with you or Mourinho. I think he had a relatively poor game except for a short spell in the second half. Schurrle was also poor. Willian came on and showed why he should start ahead of both of them.

I know they don't, but one of my very first posts here were that Mourinho trusted him and that he has had a good match. So I'm just throwing in there. But as Mourinho is the manager, his opinion is far more important than anyone else's.

By looking good against a team who had the wind knocked out of them with the Costa goal and were tiring after 70 minutes?

3 minutes after Willian came on they bought on Taylor-Fletcher, a man who is clearly about a stone too heavy to be a professional footballer. Maybe not the sternest of tests?

More like 4 :lol: he was HUGE.

Im not suggesting this just on one game. Since the turn of the year Willian has been the better player.

Marginally. Oscar had a poor second half of the season but Willian hardly set the pitch on fire when he was on it.

In the two matches this season, Oscar has played in a different role and been impressive in spots. I'd probably go with Oscar or Ramires against Everton, not sure what Willian offers in that position to be honest.

Let the boss have the final (literally) word about it.

Asked about players coming later from holidays because of the WC José said how he's going to use them. He talked about their agreement, about how they can't exhaust Schurrle, Oscar, Ramires and Willian and then he made sure to conclude with 'Oscar again had a positive match' - something he didn't say about the others. 'Nuff said.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24f4bw_mourinho-second-half-everything-was-us-hd_sport

Those are the facts I use to base my opinion in Oscar's role in the team. José keeps trusting him. With good reason imo.

Come on. I've never heard a manger say a player had a poor game after his team won.

I still haven't come around to watch the first half, tried twice, but I could watch only 10 or 15 minutes before the player had an issue... bleh

We were lazy, but I didn't feel like we were terrible. We just look lazy - we did a few times last year too and I do hope it was because of the match's time and it being too early still in the season, I hope we don't see that kind of attitude in other matches...

Now, pardon me, but I'm resurrecting the discussion :P

so let me be really precise about it.

We had 5/6 collective really good chances in the second half (as Hazard's goal was a genius individual goal). Oscar assisted one (the pass to Schurrle in a through ball from defense), Oscar's own shot on the wood (from which came a second chance a few seconds later, but I'm counting them separately), Iva's header and Costa goal - that started with a through ball by Oscar and Cesc's curler - that I don't remember if Oscar was involved or not before Iva's assist. That's him being involved directly in 3 out of our 5/6 best chances created... DIRECTLY.

Yep, I see your point just fine...

As someone said, if the ball to Schurrle and the ball to Ivanovic had been done by Cesc or Willian or whoever, people would be fapping about it, but it was little uncreative and average Oscar, they're brushed off as nothing.

I watched the MOTM highlights now. Oscar was involved in all those plays I said above, but also in the second chance that came from his shot. He's the one doing the press inside Leicester's box and leading the defender to misplace a pass straight to Hazard. Then the ball stays there for a while and it's Oscar that finds Azpilicueta in a sort of through ball and Azpili crosses for Iva's header.

Breaking down even further the chances...

1) his pass to Schurrle from the defensive third

2) his shot on the wood in the final third

3) his pressing/through ball to Azpili for Iva's header, both in the final third

4) his through ball for Iva in Diego's Costa goal in the final third

5) his shot that was blocked from a Diego Costa assist inside the box

Other chances:

1) Cesc's curler

2) Ivanovic's shot (from the rebound of Oscar's blocked shot)

I know we've been talking about his change of role - and it certainly exists, but a few things should be considered.

1) Oscar always dropped deep for us. But the thing is that when he - as our #10 - dropped deep our wingers didn't often come to the middle and we were left without a #10 and with two #8, limiting even further our creativity as nobody between Oscar, Luiz and Lamps were effective in through balls coming from the defensive half. Luiz had ups and downs in that aspect, so I can't really count him as a source.

2) As there wasn't this player to assume Oscar's position as #10 when he dropped to be a #8, his limited creativity was even more accentuated and noticeable.

But now with Cesc it doesn't mean Oscar is playing #8 all the time, it means he has his counterpart in the pitch. Oscar is a #10 mixed with #8 qualities and who isn't an ace creating stuff. Cesc is a #8 mixed with creative #10 qualities and who doesn't excel on defending. Oscar hasn't changed much his role, but there's a considerable change in his responsibilities. He's dropping to the #8 now as much as he did in the past or maybe slightly more often... but back then it was still his responsibility to be the team's #10. Now he's sharing that with Fàbregas because they're actually interchanging, instead of Oscar simply dropping. Not only that means we won't suffer when Oscar drops deep, but it mainly means Oscar's creating responsibility is now split with Fàbregas.

Oscar was more creative than Fàbregas last match... a guy who plays three through balls (Schurrle's, Iva's - on Diego's goal and Azpili's on Iva's header) can't be labeled not-creative. He doesn't have a fancy dribble or disconcerting pass on him. Everything he does is simple.

Also if we look to this breakdown, only one of those through balls came from the defensive half. So it means he was playing his #10 duty with two other through balls as well as in his two shots where he was positioned at the edge of the box as well as inside it.

Having Cesc on the team relieves him from the pressure of being the only source of creativity through the middle - which means when he has a bad day creating, he can share the burden with Fàbregas. Last Saturday was the opposite. Cesc struggled and Oscar stepped up to create things in our attack. It makes us more balanced, with more options and once his positioning in the midfield triangle is well gelled with Oscar, Cesc and Matic (we still offer more space than we should, but it's more to lack of chemistry than a liability imo), it'll work even better.

on a different note though, in that amazing save by Courtois, Oscar is the one who couldn't run and stop their striker. He was the closest and that's an evidence that it needs more gelling, but also an Oscar's mistake.

More like 4 :lol: he was HUGE.

Couldn't stop laughing during the game. His head was gigantic.

I don't understand this thing with out of shape footballers. How do they have contract? Why would a manager play him? How are you out of shape when you train every day?

Jason Cundy revealed on Chelsea TV just now that Oscar did his ankle in training yesterday. Unsure of how severe it is at the moment.

how suprising that he does not start!!!

some people can't read or are just stupid. Well, the answer is quite easy on this one (about members, not Oscar although that is obvious too). Too stupid for words.

some people can't read or are just stupid. Well, the answer is quite easy on this one (about members, not Oscar although that is obvious too). Too stupid for words.

:lol: sure my lady... whatever u say!!! all i am saying is i am SHOCKED that he does not start!!! truly shocked!!! i mean i could not have ever predicted oscar not starting today!!! :lol:

ps - i read he had a virus as well as did his ankle in training... ooohhhh interesting!!!