Oscar

themightyblue

The reverse is the case i think Oscar is actually underrated and for example Hazard is overrated when people keep mentioning hazard as the star player in a team that now has both fabregas and Diego Costa (laughable).

First, oscar was compared with de brynne, then willian (same National team) and now you compare oscar to Baker you must be dreaming. First of all Oscar has won the under 20 fifa world cup, europa league and was a key member of a brasil as they reached the last four of the senior world cup. In his first full season as a no. 10 at chelsea he contributed to the balance of the team where in we reached the semi finals of the champions league and acquired over 80 points the highest we have had for about four seasons since ancelotti's first season in 2009. We lost the league by four points due lack of top strikers not because of oscar as he was one of our top scorers in the league with torres who could not be saved even when mata the great assister was in chelsea. Therefore nothing but torres was broken and nothing but torres and a naturally reduced contribution from an ageing lampard and ashley cole has been fixed.

Oscar is likely to be a starter because he has more tactical nous compared to our other attackers which is what mourinho likes and he also works hard for the team. Willian is more threatened because he doesn't score as much as Oscar or schurrle.

With the addition of fabregas, luis, and costa it is natural that oscar's talent will manifest more this season but not only him also hazard, shurrle and salah. We lost the league by only four points last season with torres in front, with this new signings especially with costa in front oscar will excel a lot. I rememeber his assists for eto'o against galatasaray and liverpool which shows he is very capable of assisting in important games when there is a reasonable striker in front and diego costa is among the best around now.

The U 20 World Cup win does not count James Milner was in a Euro U21 final against Germany in 2009 I dont here anyone saying his underrated. Also you say we had our highest points total in 4 years but did you factor in stability and the fact that we spent $100 million last summer to improve the squad?? Had Lewis Baker for example been Brazilian a lot of teams would be queing up to pay big transfer prices for him for his vision, technique and unique two foot use

I don't really like that our #10 isn't a traditional playmaker, but I think(I hope) that this season, Oscar's lack of creativity wouldn't be that much of a problem with the new additions to the team. Jose seems to want Oscar as #10, and unless Jose changes the formation or Oscar is really poor, Oscar will probably remain as our #10. He's not that bad as some make him out to be, really. It's true that Oscar is really underrated among Chelsea fans. Other teams' fans seem to have a much better opinion on him than us.

The only thing I would say to that is as Chelsea fans we watch Oscar more and are more credible critics. Other fans may go on percieved notions about Oscar being a very good player without actually watching him play. I reckon he started well for us but after his form was not up to standards.

I mean the majority of non-Chelsea fans reckon we are stupid to have loaned Lukaku out and may think it is further ludicrous if we sell him. I agree with this but then there are many Chelsea fans on here who believe Lukaku is overrated and is not good enough. My point being other teams fans seem to think of Lukaku better than our fans. As fans, it seems many of us are generally critical of our players and set high standards.

The only thing I would say to that is as Chelsea fans we watch Oscar more and are more credible critics. Other fans may go on percieved notions about Oscar being a very good player without actually watching him play. I reckon he started well for us but after his form was not up to standards.

I mean the majority of non-Chelsea fans reckon we are stupid to have loaned Lukaku out and may think it is further ludicrous if we sell him. I agree with this but then there are many Chelsea fans on here who believe Lukaku is overrated and is not good enough. My point being other teams fans seem to think of Lukaku better than our fans. As fans, it seems many of us are generally critical of our players and set high standards.

Yeah, Lukaku is also rated higher by non-Chelsea fans than by us. It's hard to tell if we're being overly critical or other fans are just poorly informed.

Yeah, Lukaku is also rated higher by non-Chelsea fans than by us. It's hard to tell if we're being overly critical or other fans are being poorly informed.

Think it's just the norm that fans being overly critical and underrate their own players while doing almost the opposite with other clubs' players.

Yeah, Lukaku is also rated higher by non-Chelsea fans than by us. It's hard to tell if we're being overly critical or other fans are being poorly informed.

Hardly anyone is questioning Lukaku's talent, it's more a case of people being fed up with the attitude he's shown towards the club with his comments to the media. Of course the opposition fans think even more highly of him if he's badmouthing Chelsea because they agree with him whereas we naturally think he's full of shit when he's saying those things.

I don't really like that our #10 isn't a traditional playmaker, but I think(I hope) that this season, Oscar's lack of creativity wouldn't be that much of a problem with the new additions to the team. Jose seems to want Oscar as #10, and unless Jose changes the formation or Oscar is really poor, Oscar will probably remain as our #10. He's not that bad as some make him out to be, really. It's true that Oscar is really underrated among Chelsea fans. Other teams' fans seem to have a much better opinion on him than us.

I just found out about the existence of the "suffoco" role. Have you ever heard about it?

""Suffoco" is a relatively new role in which the midfield No. 10 expands his responsibilities. No longer will he simply create, but also man-mark, tackle, intercept and hold the ball up."

"In truth, there is no official name for this role is, but I'm having my stab at it by labelling it the "suffoco."

It's born directly from the existence of the regista, and it's been cropping up quietly in Europe. How do you stop the regista dictating? You stick a man on him to nullify his influence.
With a regista typically so deep he's within whispering distance of the central defender, the only man you deploy to irritate him is the No. 10.
So the No. 10's role changes, it is to stifle, not create. Andrea Pirlo's influence during Italy vs. Croatia in Euro 2012 was severely limited due to Mario Mandzukic's dogged pressure.
Marouane Fellaini has been an absolute revelation in this role over the past few weeks, nullifying Manchester United's Michael Carrick both offensive and defensively.
It's essentially a midfield destroyer (ie. Gennaro Gattuso's role,) but higher up the pitch. The term suffoco was thought up in conversation with Zonal Marking's Michael Cox."
Oddly enough, Oscar's best game for us was at that role exactly against Pirlo.

I just found out about the existence of the "suffoco" role. Have you ever heard about it?

""Suffoco" is a relatively new role in which the midfield No. 10 expands his responsibilities. No longer will he simply create, but also man-mark, tackle, intercept and hold the ball up."

"In truth, there is no official name for this role is, but I'm having my stab at it by labelling it the "suffoco."

It's born directly from the existence of the regista, and it's been cropping up quietly in Europe. How do you stop the regista dictating? You stick a man on him to nullify his influence.
With a regista typically so deep he's within whispering distance of the central defender, the only man you deploy to irritate him is the No. 10.
So the No. 10's role changes, it is to stifle, not create. Andrea Pirlo's influence during Italy vs. Croatia in Euro 2012 was severely limited due to Mario Mandzukic's dogged pressure.
Marouane Fellaini has been an absolute revelation in this role over the past few weeks, nullifying Manchester United's Michael Carrick both offensive and defensively.
It's essentially a midfield destroyer (ie. Gennaro Gattuso's role,) but higher up the pitch. The term suffoco was thought up in conversation with Zonal Marking's Michael Cox."
Oddly enough, Oscar's best game for us was at that role exactly against Pirlo.

At the end of the day, he's just rubbish at the #10 position

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been too quite of late :blink:

nothing to report etc. He is back on Monday and I'm sure this thread will kick back into life then. I think everyone is waiting to see if we get back the Oscar from the beginning of last year or the Oscar past February returns.

Nah certainly an hatched egg now after the world cup experience. Am happy he did not get scared of competition from fabregas and run to PSG just like lukaku ran away (lol). He is a little boss.

More like PSG cannot sign him because they blew their whole budget on Luiz. Next summer we will see if PSG come in again and if Reus wants to leave I hope they do so we can sign him.

No matter how good Oscar gets Reus will always be better

and then the next kid will be better and then the next and the next and the next.

I bet you identify yourself a lot with Florentino Perez...

Yep that is how the club works, once we identify a better player and affordable we replace them with the new players. Just because we have a good squad atm doesn't mean they will be going for the next 5-10 years. For example Diego Costa might break his leg in Xmas, out for 6 months and comeback as a new Torres. Do we keep him as well or sign Cavani for example who is available for 30m?

The club is improving all the times and all the players are nothing more than employees, just ask Mata and Luiz. If Jose get sacked next year and Klopp came in, insisting on buying Reus to replace Oscar, do we let him? Of course we do...

This idea is different from Real Madrid, who just buy super stars every summer no matter how good of a season the previous player had. They are run differently from us.

Yep that is how the club works, once we identify a better player and affordable we replace them with the new players. Just because we have a good squad atm doesn't mean they will be going for the next 5-10 years. For example Diego Costa might break his leg in Xmas, out for 6 months and comeback as a new Torres. Do we keep him as well or sign Cavani for example who is available for 30m?

The club is improving all the times and all the players are nothing more than employees, just ask Mata and Luiz. If Jose get sacked next year and Klopp came in, insisting on buying Reus to replace Oscar, do we let him? Of course we do...

This idea is different from Real Madrid, who just buy super stars every summer no matter how good of a season the previous player had. They are run differently from us.

yep, very Florentino Perez of you, although to be fair to you, Florentino does it out of a whim, not necessarily because he identified a better player.

Players go through ups and downs and stable clubs give them time to regroup - whether in the bench or in action - and try to develop them. Reus had ups and dows - especially when he was Oscar age. I'm not even disagreeing with you that Reus is a better player (he might even be, I wouldn't know, as I keep saying I don't like comparing players).

Smart managers see how players work in their system, regardless if there are 100 another kids better than his player. If he does the job he's been asked, then why risk a change? Who's to say Reus would even fit EPL or our team? He probably would, but it's a risk nonetheless. I'm not advocating Oscar's cause. He hasn't been doing the job he was asked, so it means he's been failing, but I have a huge problem with the bold part of your statement. Football teams don't work like that. I've seen so many cases throughout the years of getting a better player to replace a good player but who was making a job, only to disrupt a whole system or simply not fitting it. We have more than enough human resource to have a team that can win any title we play - because good players isn't the only variable to win things - so I think we should work with those first, see what happens. If one of them compromises the whole system - as Mata did, for example - than replace him, but we have more than capable players.

Oscar could leave, he could even leave deservedly - but it doesn't mean we need to bring someone. We have Willian and Cesc, not to say Hazard capable of playing #10. Those are some very good players. No need to go to the market for a better, improved AM.

More like PSG cannot sign him because they blew their whole budget on Luiz. Next summer we will see if PSG come in again and if Reus wants to leave I hope they do so we can sign him.

No matter how good Oscar gets Reus will always be better

I don't think Reus for Oscar is particularly worthwhile unless you're moving Hazard to 10. Either way we have the likes of Boga coming through so there's pressure on Oscar and we don't necessarily have to go into the market.

As for why this thread has been quiet....well there's no reason to talk about him. Everyone hopes he's not as shit as he has been for the last 6 months and it's not like there's any reason to think about him beyond that. When he doesn't play you don't miss him.

Fabregas at 10 is a far more enticing prospect at the moment and I'd quite happily go with that and have Matic and Ramires/Van Ginkel behind him.