Oscar

themightyblue

I do agree that Oscar can give good midfield options, but I just can't see José doing it...

I thought this was the idea since the beginning to play oscar,fabregas and matic.

It does not matter the setup (4-3-3/4-2-3-1) oscar,fabregas and matic are flexible enough to play in either system.

I have no idea about how fabregas defensively as pivot but our attacking players are just brilliant defensively surely it is not going to be a problem.

included in WC best XI.

:wub:

do you have a link for the list? I've been looking it since yesterday and couldn't find.

Not sure he deserves to be there though. For his defensive work, probably, but he isn't a pivot player, and unless they chose a 4-3-3 he has no business being there.

He had ups and downs offensively, way more downs than ups - but it's the WC and I'm so happy it ended, I hope he gets a new start here in a month from now.

I just fail to see for some time now where can Oscar fit in our formation. He is good all around, but somehow just makes it darn difficult to find him a position. I have never been amazed by his playmaking abilities, while his pace along with dribbling haven't left me speechless for quite a while. With Fabregas arriving, I find Oscar's position shaken up since I doubt Jose will play him in midfield of 4-3-3 along with Matic and Fabregas due to weaker defending, while on the other side, I don't find Oscar too productive on the right wing...

Honestly I believe it would be best to cash in on him if possible and bring in someone like Di Maria or Rodriguez who I find much better and who are actually looking to move.

On the other side, I would be very happy for him if he can have a good season i which he can establish himself in the starting 11.

I kind of agree with this.

I think the chance of Oscar getting sold is a lot higher now with the acquisition of Cesc and Chelsea potentially moving back to 4-3-3, especially if PSG throws a huge number out. I dont think James would work well under Jose setup nor Di Maria, but the perfect players would be Modric, Pogba and Vidal.

I'm interested to see how Chelsea will line up this year.

do you have a link for the list? I've been looking it since yesterday and couldn't find.

Not sure he deserves to be there though. For his defensive work, probably, but he isn't a pivot player, and unless they chose a 4-3-3 he has no business being there.

He had ups and downs offensively, way more downs than ups - but it's the WC and I'm so happy it ended, I hope he gets a new start here in a month from now.

I don't think there is a Team of the Tournament ... or at least it hasn't been announced yet.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/awards/index.html

sorry for the delay. kinda busy here :lol:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/top11.html

I don't think there is a Team of the Tournament ... or at least it hasn't been announced yet.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/awards/index.html

well, not per se. In fact that team was selected for their overall performance statistically by Castrol Index, not like messi won the Golden ball by personal judgement of "professionals" :P.

Therefore, leo messi not included in best XI i posted before based on Castrol Index.

Wow, that is sort of a weird ranking. Oscar above James. It's cringeworthy even for the fanboy inside of me :P

Still not as shameful as Messi golden ball though.

Wow, that is sort of a weird ranking. Oscar above James. It's cringeworthy even for the fanboy inside of me :P

Still not as shameful as Messi golden ball though

Based on the data, oscar over james because of his lot defense contribution. Well contributions didnt have to be like assist or goal. Toni kross became man of the tournament (based on Castrol) is the perfect example of that. But ofc, messi still way better than him :shoot:

But yeah, like Barbara sigs :P, Castrol didnt count intangible things which is important too. I even will put Schuerrle in my best XI. He always changed the game when he brought in, even on the WC final.

Based on the data, oscar over james because of his lot defense contribution. Well contributions didnt have to be like assist or goal. Toni kross became man of the tournament (based on Castrol) is the perfect example of that. But ofc, messi still way better than him :shoot:

But yeah, like Barbara sigs :P, Castrol didnt count intangible things which is important too. I even will put Schuerrle in my best XI. He always changed the game when he brought in, even on the WC final.

Don't get me wrong, Oscar didn't have a bad tournament by any means but James was extraordinary.

People said we should evaluate him after the World Cup, I am now the cold hard truth is we made a mistake making him our number 10 over Mata, Oscar is not a play maker regardless of what some might think. He has never showed the ability to be a great play maker, this is not to say his not a decent player, he is a decent player who would probably do well in a team like Inter Milan or AC Milan. But for Chelsea he is not what we need since we have/had better players than him who can produce 3 times the out put he has. People say he had a good start to the season, he only scored 5 goals and had 2 assists by end of November when his form took a turn for the worse. Mata at his best scored in 5 or 6 games consecutive whilst assisting too. Moses even had 11 goals for us in his first season.

People give the argument that he has been over played. But he has played in the same tournaments as Mata for example who has not had a rest since 2009, He went to the 2010 World Cup, 2011 European U21 were he was captain, Euro 2012 + Oympics, 2013 Confederations Cup and 2014 World Cup. I dont see people giving excuses for him when his form is not the best even though he still managed to match Oscar's season's output with half a season at united.

Yes Oscar does the defensive world which he excels in but is that the reason we bought him or play him for?? If he is there to be a defend why not buy a central midfileder who is actually strong both in attack and defence (Ballack comes to mind) The truth is people just give excuses for this kid because his Brazilian and Brazilians are supposed to be really good footballers. What does he bring to the table that say a Toni Kroos, Lewis Baker, Kovacic, Barkely, Shcurrle, Rakitic just to name a few cannot bring to the table?

This again I will say is not to make Oscar look like a bad footballer he is not, I will support him as long as he plays for Chelsea but I feel that Mourinho was wrong choosing him over Mata. Mourinho has been wrong plenty of times throughout his career and this might be one of the the times. The system we play is wrong if it means we have to sacrifice attack for defence, I believe there should be a right balance between defence and attack (Good examples include Atletico ,Bayern Munich before Pep and Dortmound) I hope he can prove me wrong in the coming season I really hope but as it stands his just an overrated player who has never truly impressed like I said

how come it was a mistake to replace Mata for him if we had really good chances of winning the league, something we haven't been remotely close to do while Mata was here?

We had problems creating chances - something we wouldn't have with Mata here, but if we had a half decent striker, we could have won some of the matches we drew or lost against smaller sides. If we had last year the Drogba Mata had in 2011/12, we could have also won the whole thing. Also we struggled, lost and drew against teams parking buses and being extra physical on us - a scenario that Mata never excelled or saved us imo.

The ideal would be a hybrid between both. I'm not sure that player exists, but as I just said in Cesc's thread, I'll pick our team of last season over the team in the two previous seasons any day of the week. Mata or no Mata, Oscar or no Oscar, fact is we had more stability, we were more competitive and we won all the big games - except a couple of draws against Spurs and United. Oscar is far from being the player I'd like him to be offensively, but I'll have the stability he offers over the liabilities Mata offers any time. When I want to see really beautiful football, I'll watch 82 Brazil NT. I want us to be able to play the big teams equally, standing our ground, being competitive. With a proper striker this season - hopefully - and potential #10s in Oscar, Cesc, Willian, Hazard I think our chances are much better than they've been in the last few years. Sorry if I don't miss Mata. I miss his assists, the chances he created, but as there's no way to keep the good parts of him and get rid of the bad, I'm happy we got rid of him altogether.

If Oscar doesn't play well in the #10, there's Willian, Hazard and Cesc all there to step up. I'm sure among those four we'll find someone capable of offering decent attack without exposing us like Mata did. And again, I'm not saying Mata is bad, I'm saying physically he was too weak for the league. Also too slow and couldn't cope properly with the physicality, unless when given a free role, but with his free role came a whole midfield exposed behind him.

I'll be happy if Oscar steps up next season and proves all his doubters wrong, and it's certainly possible given how young he still is, but I think he will find playing time limited unless he shows a big improvement quickly. There's just too much competition in the squad now. Hazard is a nailed down starter, so that leaves at best two spots for Oscar to inhabit, and he has to duke it out with Fabregas, Willian, Schurrle and Salah to get one of them.

I'll be happy if Oscar steps up next season and proves all his doubters wrong, and it's certainly possible given how young he still is, but I think he will find playing time limited unless he shows a big improvement quickly. There's just too much competition in the squad now. Hazard is a nailed down starter, so that leaves at best two spots for Oscar to inhabit, and he has to duke it out with Fabregas, Willian, Schurrle and Salah to get one of them.

There is nothing that could make me happier if he can prove me wrong but as of now I just think his overrated because he is Brazilian. What does he have that lets say Lewis Baker does not have?? Baker even has the added advantage of costing nothing and using both feet

how come it was a mistake to replace Mata for him if we had really good chances of winning the league, something we haven't been remotely close to do while Mata was here?

We had problems creating chances - something we wouldn't have with Mata here, but if we had a half decent striker, we could have won some of the matches we drew or lost against smaller sides. If we had last year the Drogba Mata had in 2011/12, we could have also won the whole thing. Also we struggled, lost and drew against teams parking buses and being extra physical on us - a scenario that Mata never excelled or saved us imo.

The ideal would be a hybrid between both. I'm not sure that player exists, but as I just said in Cesc's thread, I'll pick our team of last season over the team in the two previous seasons any day of the week. Mata or no Mata, Oscar or no Oscar, fact is we had more stability, we were more competitive and we won all the big games - except a couple of draws against Spurs and United. Oscar is far from being the player I'd like him to be offensively, but I'll have the stability he offers over the liabilities Mata offers any time. When I want to see really beautiful football, I'll watch 82 Brazil NT. I want us to be able to play the big teams equally, standing our ground, being competitive. With a proper striker this season - hopefully - and potential #10s in Oscar, Cesc, Willian, Hazard I think our chances are much better than they've been in the last few years. Sorry if I don't miss Mata. I miss his assists, the chances he created, but as there's no way to keep the good parts of him and get rid of the bad, I'm happy we got rid of him altogether.

If Oscar doesn't play well in the #10, there's Willian, Hazard and Cesc all there to step up. I'm sure among those four we'll find someone capable of offering decent attack without exposing us like Mata did. And again, I'm not saying Mata is bad, I'm saying physically he was too weak for the league. Also too slow and couldn't cope properly with the physicality, unless when given a free role, but with his free role came a whole midfield exposed behind him.

That is not a valid argument. When Mata was here our team was unbalanced, we changed the manager more than 3 times and we were in transition in terms of the old guard leaving conditions that do not suit a title push. What has Oscar done since he came if you want to use that argument?? Mata won the FA Cup and Champions League in his first season with us and won the Europa League in the second season. That can not be said of Oscar. Had Mata been the focal point last season instead of Oscar with our more organised defence and better manager we surely would have won the league imo. Oscar is overrated lets face the cold hard truth. If he was not Brazilian he would be stuck at a mid table team in Italy or Spain there

This myth that Mata exposed the team was created by Mourinho. In the two years he was here he was never the problem rather we lacked a central midfielder. Besides I do not remember us leaking goals when he played. I will give you an example The Man Utd game in 2013 at Old Trafford we won 1-0 and he scored, We won 2-0 against Arsenal at the bridge Mata scored. We drew 0-0 with City at the bridge and lost 2-1 to them after Lampard missed a penalty at the Etihad, I didnt here anyone complain about Mata exposing us then. We also beat Totenham, Everton, Benfica, to name a few during Beniez's era and Mata was never a defensive liability, this was just a myth that Mourinho created and we as supporters believed although it did not have much validity

There is nothing that could make me happier if he can prove me wrong but as of now I just think his overrated because he is Brazilian. What does he have that lets say Lewis Baker does not have?? Baker even has the added advantage of costing nothing and using both feet

The reverse is the case i think Oscar is actually underrated and for example Hazard is overrated when people keep mentioning hazard as the star player in a team that now has both fabregas and Diego Costa (laughable).

First, oscar was compared with de brynne, then willian (same National team) and now you compare oscar to Baker you must be dreaming. First of all Oscar has won the under 20 fifa world cup, europa league and was a key member of a brasil as they reached the last four of the senior world cup. In his first full season as a no. 10 at chelsea he contributed to the balance of the team where in we reached the semi finals of the champions league and acquired over 80 points the highest we have had for about four seasons since ancelotti's first season in 2009. We lost the league by four points due lack of top strikers not because of oscar as he was one of our top scorers in the league with torres who could not be saved even when mata the great assister was in chelsea. Therefore nothing but torres was broken and nothing but torres and a naturally reduced contribution from an ageing lampard and ashley cole has been fixed.

Oscar is likely to be a starter because he has more tactical nous compared to our other attackers which is what mourinho likes and he also works hard for the team. Willian is more threatened because he doesn't score as much as Oscar or schurrle.

With the addition of fabregas, luis, and costa it is natural that oscar's talent will manifest more this season but not only him also hazard, shurrle and salah. We lost the league by only four points last season with torres in front, with this new signings especially with costa in front oscar will excel a lot. I rememeber his assists for eto'o against galatasaray and liverpool which shows he is very capable of assisting in important games when there is a reasonable striker in front and diego costa is among the best around now.

I don't really like that our #10 isn't a traditional playmaker, but I think(I hope) that this season, Oscar's lack of creativity wouldn't be that much of a problem with the new additions to the team. Jose seems to want Oscar as #10, and unless Jose changes the formation or Oscar is really poor, Oscar will probably remain as our #10. He's not that bad as some make him out to be, really. It's true that Oscar is really underrated among Chelsea fans. Other teams' fans seem to have a much better opinion on him than us.